Daily Current Affairs 8 March 2021 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
President Kovind lays foundation stone for development of Singourgarh Fort in MP
President Ram Nath Kovind laid the foundation stone for renovation work of Singourgarh Fort and participated in a ‘Janjatiya Sammelan’.
- The Union Tourism Ministry has allotted INR 26 crore for the renovation work in and around the Singourgarh Fort.
- During his visit, Kovind will also distribute the Rani Durgavati and Shankar Shah awards to meritorious students belonging to tribal community at the ‘Janjatiya Sammelan’ in Singrampur village of Damoh.
India grants NRs 44.17M to build new school building under Nepal-Bharat Maitri Development Partnership
India has extended a grant of 44.17 million Nepali Rupees to Nepal to build a new school building in Rupandehi district of the country under the Nepal-Bharat Maitri Development Partnership.
- An Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) was signed between the two countries for the construction project. Indian
- Indian Embassy said that since 2003, under High Impact Community Development Projects programme, India has completed 446 projects in the areas of health, education, drinking water, connectivity, sanitation and creation of other public utilities across all seven provinces of Nepal.
Delhi govt decides to set up Delhi Board of School Education in national capital
Delhi government has decided to set up Delhi Board of School Education in the national capital.
- The constitution of Delhi Board of School Education will take the education system of Delhi to new heights.
First-ever White Water Rafting Festival organised in J&K’s Doda
In the Union Territory of Jammu and Kashmir, the first-ever adventure sports event, Chenab White Water Rafting Festival organised by the Doda District Administration in coordination with Bhaderwah Development Authority (BDA) and J&K Adventure group culminated at Premnagar Shibnote in Doda amid overwhelming response from the people.
- Around 1,500 people from across the district especially, youth attended the festival on day 2 and over 150 participated in the rafting trip from Premnagar Shibnote to Karara.
- The event also witnessed multifarious activities at the venue for the enjoyment of the locals which includes volleyball matches, kabaddi, free-style wrestling and dance performances.
BANKING & FINANCE
In a first, RBI announces Operation Twist-cum-OMO
In a first, the Reserve bank of India announced that it will purchase government securities worth ₹20,000 crore and sell securities worth ₹15,000 crore on 10 March.
- This makes it a combination of Operation Twist of ₹15,000 crore and open market operations of ₹5000 crore, a sign that RBI is open to using all tools to stabilize yields. The yield on the 10-year benchmark bond closed at 6.22% after touching a 11-month high of 6.26%
- RBI said it will purchase securities maturing in 2025, 2028, 2030 and 2033, and sell short-dated securities maturing in November this year, and February and May of next year.
Titan’s youth brand Fastrack ties up with Yono-SBI bank to launch a smart fitness band
Titan-owned youth accessories brand Fastrack has partnered country’s largest public sector bank Yono-State Bank of India (SBI) to enter the smart wearable category of fitness bands with digital payment component under its sub-brand Reflex in order to strengthen the company’s foothold in the wearables category for the youth.
- This is the second time Titan has tied up with SBI this fiscal to launch a collaborative product.
- A chip embedded in the smart band will be linked to one’s SBI account to make cashless payments by flashing the band in front of POS machines.
BUSINESS & ECONOMY
Singapore top source of FDI in Apr-Dec into India
Singapore was the top source of foreign direct investment (FDI) into India in the first nine months of FY21 at $15.7 billion, followed by the US at $12.82 billion with Mauritius at the third position at $3.47 billion.
- The government said that FDI equity inflows rose 40% year-on-year in the April-December of FY21 at $51.47 billion compared to $36.77 billion in the year ago period.
- Gujarat garnered the highest share of FDI in the period at $21.23 billion followed by Maharashtra at $13.63 billion.
Mumbai City beat ATK Mohun Bagan to win ISL League Winners’ Shield
The football club Mumbai City FC defeated ATK Mohun Bagan 2-0 in the final league game to clinch the 2020-21 Indian Super League (ISL) Winners Shield.
- The finals of the ISL was held at the GMC Stadium in Goa.
- With this win, Mumbai City FC has booked a spot in the AFC Champions League.
Manish Kaushik wins Gold at Boxam International
Olympic-bound Indian boxer Manish Kaushik (63kg) struck gold in his first competitive outing in a year even as five others signed off with silver medals in the 35th Boxam International Tournament in Castellon, Spain.
- Manish defeated Denmark’s Nikolai Terteryan in a split decision However, Mohammed Hussamuddin (57kg) and Vikas Krishan (69kg) ended with silver medals among men.
- Among women, Simranjit Kaur (60kg), Pooja Rani (75kg) and Jasmine (57kg) ended with silver medals among women.
PV Sindhu settles for silver medal in BWF Swiss Open Super 300
India’s ace shuttler PV Sindhu settled for a silver medal in the BWF Swiss Open Super 300 at Basel, as she went down against World No. 3 Spaniard and reigning Olympic champion Carolina Marin 12-21, 5-21, in the final of the women’s singles event.
- The World Champion shuttler who has faced a lot of criticism lately for lacklustre performances in the last year had entered the semifinal stage of a BWF tournament after 19 months.
Wrestler Bajrang Punia clinches gold in Matteo Pellicon World ranking series in Rome
In wrestling, World Championship bronze medallist Bajrang Punia has clinched a gold medal by defeating his familiar rival Tulga Tumur Ochir of Mongolia in the Matteo Pallicone World Ranking Series event in Rome.
- Bajrang defeated Ochir 2-2 by criteria in the final of the 65kg freestyle.
- This is Bajrang’s second consecutive gold medal at the Matteo Pellicone event as he had finished on the top of the series in January 2020 as well.
Vinesh Phogat wins her 2nd gold in Matteo Pellicone Ranking Series event; Reclaims top rank in her 53kg category
Indian wrestler Vinesh Phogat won her second gold medal in the Matteo Pellicone Ranking Series event and reclaimed the top rank in her category in Rome.
- The 26-year-old World bronze medallist Vinesh blanked Canada’s Diana Mary Helen Weicker 4-0 in the 53kg title clash. She is the only Indian woman wrestler to have qualified for the Tokyo Games
Indian-American Naureen Hassan appointed first VP, COO of New York Federal Bank
Indian-American financial services industry veteran Naureen Hassan has been appointed as the first Vice President and Chief Operating Officer of the Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Hassan’s appointment has been approved by the Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System and her innings as the first VP and COO will begin from March 15.
- As the first vice president, Hassan will be the New York Fed’s second ranking officer and an alternative voting member of the Federal Open Market Committee.
NABARD chairman G R Chintala takes over chairmanship of APRACA
National Bank for Agriculture and Rural Development (NABARD) Chairman G R Chintala took over the chairmanship of the Asia Pacific Rural and Agricultural Credit Association (APRACA), a multilateral platform of 24 countries involved in agriculture, rural and micro financing development.
- Chintala is succeeding Bank of Ceylon CEO DPK Gunasekera in office.
Director Zack Snyder to be honoured with special ‘Valiant Award’ from Hollywood Critics Association
American filmmaker Zack Snyder will be presented with the first-ever Valiant Award from The Hollywood Critics Association at the virtual fourth Annual HCA Film Awards ceremony.
- The Hollywood Critics Association is presenting Snyder with the Valiant Award as an honour for how the fi lmmaker and his wife, and producing partner, Deborah Snyder, responded to their 20-year-old daughter Autumn’s suicide in 2017.
SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY
J-K administration launches ANMOL app under national health mission
The Jammu and Kashmir administration distributed tablets among auxiliary nursing midwives (ANMs) and launched an application under the national health mission for identification and tracking of beneficiaries.
- The ANMOL application will empower ANMs and frontline health workers in carrying out their day-to-day work efficiently and effectively.
- The ANMOL application allows ANMs to enter and update records of beneficiaries on real-time basis. This will thus ensure prompt entry and update of data as well as improve the data quality and accountability.
Muthoot Finance chairman MG George Muthoot passes away
Muthoot Group Chairman M.G. George died after a fall in his fourth floor residence in South East Delhi’s Amar Colony area. He was 72.
- He was the third generation from his family to become the chairman of the Muthoot Group.He was also the Chairman of the FICCI Kerala State Council.
- He was the trustee of the Indian Orthodox Church and was also a member of the National Executive Committee of the Federation of Indian Chambers of Commerce and Industry (FICCI).
Veteran Indian athlete Ishar Singh Deol passes away
Veteran Indian athlete Ishar Singh Deol, a recipient of the Dhyan Chand National Sports Award, has died at the age of 91.
- Deol had won many medals for the country and the State since 1951 and was awarded the Dhyan Chand National Award in 2009 for his lifelong contribution towards sports.
- Deol was General Secretary of the Punjab Athletes Association for 30 consecutive years and Vice President of the Athletic Federation of India and a member of the Selection Committee for many years.
Veteran Marathi Actor Shrikant Moghe passes away
Veteran Marathi actor Shrikant Moghe has passed away following age-related illness. He was 91.
- Moghe was popular for his work in both Marathi and Hindi languages, in films and theatre.
- He is known for his performances in Marathi films like Madhuchandra, Sinhaasan, Gammat Jammat and Umbaratha, and plays such as Varyavarchu Varaat and Tuze Aahe Tujapashi.
International Women’s Day
International Women’s Day celebrated on March 8 every to honour women, salute their courage, celebrate their success and raise awareness about women’s equality.
- This year, the theme for International Women’s Day is “Choose To Challenge” aims to highlight and recognise the achievements of women and highlight the issues and problems they are still facing in their respective lives.