Daily Current Affairs 8 May 2022 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
Kerala: Famous Pooram festival begins at Vadakkumnatha Temple in Thrissur
In Kerala, “Poora Vilambaram“, the ritual marking the beginning of the famous Pooram festival was held at the Vadakkumnatha Temple in Thrissur.
- As per the custom, an Elephant carrying the idol of goddess Neythalakkavu Bhagavathy from Kuttur reached the Vadakkumnatha Temple this afternoon to pay obeisance and to seek the blessings of the presiding deity, Lord Shiva.
- The elephant emerged from the temple’s southern door marking the beginning of the 36-hour festivities.
Centre allocated over Rs 32,000 cr since 2015 for fisheries: MoS Dr. L. Murugan
Union Minister of State for Fisheries Dr. L. Murugan said, the Centre has allocated more than 32 thousand crore rupees since 2015 for fisheries.
- He visited the project site for the construction of a new fishing harbour at Azhagan Kuppam in Villupuram district in Tamil Nadu under the Fisheries and Aquaculture Infrastructure Development Fund.
- He said, the Centre has allocated 20 thousand crore rupees for Pradhan Mantri Matsya Sampada Yojana, which he said, is unprecedented in the Indian fisheries sector.
Stadium to be built in Neeraj Chopra’s native village: Haryana CM
Haryana Chief Minister Manohar Lal Khattar announced that a stadium will be built in Olympic gold-medallist Neeraj Chopra’s native village in Panipat for ₹10 crore.
- Making the announcement after inaugurating a cooperative sugar mill in Panipat, the Chief Minister said Neeraj Chopra, who belongs to Haryana, has made the country and the state proud by winning an Olympic gold medal last year.
UP villages to get high-speed internet connectivity
Uttar Pradesh government will provide free wi-fi facilities at more than 58 thousand places in the villages of the state. This internet facility will be available for the people within 50 meters of the Gram Sachivalaya (village secretariat) building which is being built in every Gram Panchayat of the state.
- In order to make every village a smart village, high-speed internet connectivity will be provided to the village secretariats and a free high-speed Wi-Fi internet facility will be provided to the villagers within a radius of 50 meters of the village secretariat building.
- The process of establishment of village secretariats in 58,189-gram panchayats of the state is going on continuously.
India logs 6.2 percent hike in death rate during 2020: CRS data
The Central government has released the Civil Registration System (CRS) report 2020 based on birth and death reports.According to the report, the number of registered births has decreased from 2.48 crore in 2019 to 2.42 crore in the year 2020 showing a decrease of about 2.40 percent.
- The Vital Statistics of India based on the Civil Registration System’ for 2020 report said that case of registered deaths, the number has increased from 76.4 lakh in the year 2019 to 81.2 lakhs in 2020 showing an increase of 6.2 percent.
- Out of the total registered deaths, the share of males is 60.2 percent and the female share is 39.8 percent. Some states and union territories namely Maharashtra, Bihar, Gujarat, West Bengal, Andhra Pradesh, Tamil Nadu, Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh, Rajasthan, Assam, and Haryana have contributed significantly to the increased number of deaths registered from 2019 to 2020.
SC appoints panel to monitor recovery from NSEL defaulters
The Supreme Court has approved the formation of the Supreme Court Committee headed by Justice (retd) Pradeep Nandrajog for recovery of monies from the defaulters against whom National Spot Exchange Ltd has secured money decrees.
- It added that the top court while exercising its plenary powers under Article 142 of the Constitution has approved the formation of the committee.
- It said that NSEL, has already, single-handedly secured decrees/ arbitration awards worth Rs. 3,534.46 crore against the defaulters.
Madhya Pradesh govt launches second phase of Ladli Laxmi scheme to make girls self-reliant
In Madhya Pradesh, Chief Minister Shivraj Singh Chouhan has launched Ladli Laxmi schme-2.0 during a state-level function at Lal Parade Ground in Bhopal. He also dedicated the Ladli e-Samvad app to establish a continuous dialogue with Ladlis.
- Ladli Laxmi schme – 2.0 is an innovative initiative to encourage daughters to pursue higher education and make them self-dependent.
- Decision has also been taken to honour gram panchayats as Ladli Friendly panchayat who have done remarkable work for the economic empowerment, skill enhancement and protection of rights along with nutrition, health and education of the daughters and to boost their self-confidence.
I&B Minister Anurag Thakur says Rs 363 cr allotted for world’s largest film restoration project
Information and Broadcasting Minister Anurag Thakur said that an amount of 363 crore rupees has been allotted for the world’s largest film restoration project under the National Film Heritage Mission.
- The mission was launched in 2016 with an outlay of 597 crore rupees. It aims at preserving, restoring and digitizing the cinematic heritage.
- The Minister informed that the process of restoring over five thousand 900 short films, documentaries and features is underway. He said, this exercise carried out by National Film Archive of India proves to be one of the world’s biggest restoration, conservation, preservation and digitization process undertaken.
BANKING & FINANCE
India among worst-hit in pandemic, economy will recover in 13 years: RBI
The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) in its latest report Currency and Finance 2021-22 titled ‘Revive & Construct’, said India was one of the worst-hit nations during the Covid-19 pandemic and that it will take upto 13 years for India to fully recover from the scars of Covid-19 pandemic.
- The pre-COVID trend growth rate works out to 6.6 per cent (CAGR for 2012-13 to 2019-20) and excluding the slowdown years it works out to 7.1 per cent (CAGR for 2012-13 to 2016-17). Taking the actual growth rate of (-) 6.6 per cent for 2020-21, 8.9 per cent for 2021-22 and assuming growth rate of 7.2 per cent for 2022-23, and 7.5 per cent beyond that, India is expected to overcome COVID-19 losses in 2034-35.
- The RBI report further added that the pandemic is a watershed moment and the ongoing structural changes catalysed by the pandemic can potentially alter the growth trajectory in the medium-rare.
BUSINESS & ECONOMY
At Rs 1.68 lakh crore, GST revenues touch all-time high in April
Goods and services tax (GST) collections hit an all-time high of ₹1.68 lakh crore in April, indicating strong economic activity despite multiple headwinds and better tax compliance.
- The April number is up 20% from the year earlier and ₹25,000 crore more than the previous highest of ₹1.42 lakh crore in March this year.
- In April 2022, 10.6 million GST returns were filed compared with 9.2 million in the year earlier.The government expects the average monthly collection to be higher than ₹1.40 lakh crore for the first quarter of this fiscal.
Dhanush, Priyesha win India’s third shooting gold at Deaflympics
Dhanush Srikanth teamed up with Priyesha Deshmukh to win the 10m air rifle mixed team competition and extend Indian shooters’ gold rush at the 24th Deaflympics in Caxais do Sul, Brazil.
- Dhanush and Priyesha beat Germany’s Sebastian Herrmany and Sabrina Eckert 16-10 in the gold medal match. This was Dhanush’s second gold of the event after having won the individual men’s 10m air rifle gold.
- Shourya Saini and Vedika Sharma made it to the bronze medal match, but went down 8-16 to Ukraine’s Oleksandr Kostyk and Violeta Lykova.India now has three gold and two bronze medals in shooting.
JAIN University Becomes the Khelo India University Games 2021 Champions
KIUG 21 host, JAIN (Deemed-to-be University), to become the winner of the Khelo India University Games 2021. The University team topped the chart with 20 gold, 7 silver and 5 bronze medals, followed by Lovely Professional University (LPU) with 17 golds and Punjab University with 15 gold medals.Veera was the mascot of KIUG 2021.
- The swimming team of JAIN (Deemed-to-be University) swam to glory with more than 20 medals in several swimming events. Siva Sridhar emerged as the star swimmer by winning 11 gold, while Olympian Shrihari Natraj won 3 gold medals while posting a record-breaking performance. Shrungi Bandekar won 4 golds in various women’s swimming events.
- A total of 20 games were played and participated by 3900 students from 210 Universities in the second edition of the Khelo India University Games.
Olympian discus thrower Kamalpreet Kaur provisionally suspended
Star Indian discus thrower Kamalpreet Kaur, who represented the country at the Tokyo 2020 Olympics last year, has been provisionally suspended by the Athletics Integrity Unit (AIU) after she tested positive for a banned drug.
- The AIU which is the independent body created by World Athletics said that Kamalpreet Kaur, 26, had tested positive for Stanozolol, an anabolic steroid prohibited by the athletics governing body.
Asian Games 2022 postponed due to COVID surge in China
The Asian Games that were set to be held in the Chinese city of Hangzhou in September have been postponed, organisers said, as China continues to battle a spread of COVID-19 cases.
- The Asian Youth Games, also to be held in China in December in Shantou, would be cancelled as the games had been postponed once last year.
- Another major event that China was to host this summer, the World University Games, has also been postponed. The International University Sports Federation (FISU) said the games, to be held in Chengdu, would likely be held next year.
Kerala beat West Bengal to lift their seventh Santosh Trophy title
Kerala beat West Bengal 5-4 in the penalty shootout to win the 75th Santosh Trophy 2022 at the Manjeri Stadium in Malappuram, Kerala. This is Kerala’s third win in a Santosh Trophy tournament on home soil.
- The teams were level 1-1 after extra time in a pulsating encounter in which plenty of chances were created at both ends with the finishing being astray.
Madrid clinch record-extending 35th Spanish League title
Real Madrid clinched a record-extending 35th Spanish league title after its reserve squad comfortably defeated Espanyol 4-0.
- Rodrygo scored twice and Marco Asensio and substitute Karim Benzema added a goal each to give Madrid its second league title in three seasons, and third in six years.
- Veteran Brazilian Marcelo also reached a milestone with his 24th career title with Madrid, the most in the club’s history.
JioSaavn appoints former Amazon Music director Sahas Malhotra as CEO
Music app firm JioSaavn has appointed former Amazon Music director and entertainment industry veteran Sahas Malhotra as its new CEO.
- Malhotra has earlier worked with Sony Music India and Tips Industries. At Tips Industries, Sahas was leading the business at Tips Music and marketing for Tips Film production.
IndiGo appoints Venkataramani Sumantran as chairman of the Board
InterGlobe Aviation appointed Venkataramani Sumantran, an independent non-executive director since May 2020, as chairman of the IndiGo Board, succeeding Meleveetil Damodaran.
- Having worked in the USA, Europe, and Asia, Sumantran currently serves as the chairman and managing Director of Celeris Technologies, a strategic advisory firm. He also serves on the boards of Rane Holdings Limited, and TVS Electronics Limited.
Air Marshal Sanjeev Kapoor takes charge DG-Inspection and Safety of IAF
Air Marshal Sanjeev Kapoor has assumed charge as Director General (Inspection and Safety) of the Indian Air Force at its headquarters, New Delhi.
- In a service career spanning over 36 years, the Air Marshal has tenanted important command and staff appointments. He has commanded an operational transport squadron and a premier transport base.
- The Air Officer is a recipient of the Vayu Sena Medal and Ati Vishisht Seva Medal.
DD National Pet Show wins ENBA Award 2021
Doordarshan has won ENBA Award 2021 for its TV series based on pet care namely ‘Best Friend Forever’ under the 14th edition of Exchange4media News Broadcasting Awards, ENBA Awards. Doordarshan’s TV series has been selected for the best in-depth Hindi series.
- The ‘Best Friend Forever’ TV series is a half-an-hour weekly live phone-in show on DD National, wherein two pet experts guide people on how to take care of pets and other pet-related issues.
SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY
First trainset of India’s first RRTS handed over to NCRTC at Savli
The first trainset of India’s first Regional Rapid Transit System (RRTS) was handed over to National Capital Region Transport Corporation (NCRTC) at the manufacturing factory located in Gujarat’s Savli.
- The first fully-fitted trainset will be transported by road and will reach Ghaziabad’s Duhai depot in the next couple of days.
- The RRTS project is pegged at ₹30,274 crore and its 82-kilometre-long route is likely to get commissioned in March 2025. The 17km priority stretch (Sahibabad to Duhai) will be the country’s first RRTS route that is likely to commence passenger operations by March 2023.
- The RRTS trains will have premium coaches with 60 seats while the standard coaches will have 70 seats. A six-coach RRTS train will be able to ferry 1,750 passengers.
Odia Writer Rajat Kumar Kar passes away
Eminent Odia litterateur Rajat Kumar Kar, a Padma Shri awardee, died at a private hospital in Bhubaneswar.He was 88 years old.
- An orator on Jagannath culture, he was known for his commentary during the annual Ratha Jatra on TV and radio for six decades.
- He was also instrumental in the revival of Odisha’s dying art of Pala.
- He was a prolific writer on Upendra Bhanja literature and has seven non-fictions to his credit. He has also written a few books on Lord Jagannath.