Daily Current Affairs 8 November 2017 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
Chennai included in UNESCO’s Creative Cities Network for Contribution in Music
Unesco, the UN cultural organisation, has included Chennai in its list of Creative Cities for its contribution to music. Chennai is the third Indian city on the list of UNESCO Creative Cities list after Jaipur and Varanasi.
- After this, the UNESCO Creative Cities Network now counts a total of 180 cities in 72 countries.
Multi-agency group on Panama leak to probe Paradise Papers
According to government, a Multi-Agency Group (MAG) headed by CBDT Chairman Sushil Chandra, will investigate the Paradise Papers on offshore financial holdings, including a list 714 Indian individuals and entities.
- The Panama Papers disclosures had been made by the International Consortium of Investigative Journalists (ICIJ). India ranks 19th among 180 countries whose citizens and companies parked their wealth in secretive tax havens abroad.
Panel begins review of GST laws to remove glitches
A committee of government officials headed by M Vinod Kumar, has started a review of the laws governing goods and services tax (GST), signalling there is no reluctance to make the regime smoother for businesses, especially the smaller players who have been complaining of a significant increase in compliance burden.
- The government is keen that the recommendations are received at the earliest and it can quickly move the amendments.
Bangalore beats San Francisco in confidence to go digital
In the race to go digital, businesses judge India’s Silicon Valley — Bangalore — the best host among 45 cities worldwide.
- Business leaders in Bengaluru, expressed the highest confidence in their digital environment based on people and skills, financial environment, innovation and entrepreneurship, new technology development, and ICT infrastructure, according to a report from the Economic Intelligence Unit.
- San Francisco came in second followed by two other Indian cities — Mumbai and New Delhi.
20th International Children’s Film Festival begins in Hyderabad
The 20th International Children’s Film Festival has been kick started in Hyderabad, Telangana. Over 300 films from all over the world will be screened at about 30 theaters in Hyderabad and at district headquarters of various districts across Telangana.
First ever Nordic-Baltic youth film festival in India
The Nordic-Baltic embassies are all set to host the first ever youth film festival of the European nations in Delhi showcasing movies from the region.
- The November 13-18 festival in collaboration with the India Habitat Centre will be held from 6.30 p.m. every evening.
- The Nordic-Baltic countries — Denmark, Estonia, Finland, Iceland, Latvia, Lithuania, Norway and Sweden, or NB8 — are tied together geographically and historically through trade, culture and many common yet diverse value systems.
India’s Second Technology and Innovation Support Center (TISC) Established in Chennai
The Department of Industrial Policy and Promotion (DIPP), Ministry of Commerce & Industry, Government of India, has signed an Institutional agreement with Anna University to establish India’s second Technology and Innovation Support Center (TISC) at the Centre for Intellectual Property Rights (CIPR), Anna University, Chennai, under the World Intellectual Property Organization’s (WIPO) TISC program.
- India’s first Technology and Innovation Support Centre is established in Punjab.
ISRO’s AstroSat accomplishes X-ray polarisation for the first time
Marking a new era in the country’s space program, the Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) launched its first dedicated multi-wavelength space observatory – AstroSat – in Spetember 2015.
- Now, two years later, the observatory has accomplished the extremely strenuous job of X-ray polarisation.
Navy to use U.S. aircraft launch system in ship
The Indian Navy is likely to go with an advanced catapult-based aircraft launch mechanism (CATOBAR) from the U.S. for its second indigenous aircraft carrier (IAC-II), which is on the drawing board. For some time, India has been exploring the possibility of installing the U.S. electromagnetic aircraft launch system.
Typhoon Damrey arrives in Vietnam
Typhoon Damrey, the 12th major storm to hit Vietnam this year, made landfall with winds of up to 90 km/h (56 mph) that damaged more than 40,000 homes, knocked down electricity poles and uprooted trees.
India slips to 7th position in business optimism ranking
As per Grant Thornton’s International Business Report (IBR), India has slipped in ‘business optimism’ index to the 7th position in the September quarter, from the 2nd slot in the previous three months, showing clear signs of lag in the economy.
- Indonesia is at the top of the list, followed by Finland and the Netherlands.
Mary Kom clinches fifth gold medal at Asian Boxing Championships
Mary Kom won her fifth Asian Boxing Championships title by beating Korea’s Hyang Mi Kim. The Championship held at Ho Chi Min City in Vietnam.
- It was Mary’s fifth gold in the Asian Boxing Championship and first in the 48kg weight category.
Saina Nehwal, Shuttler Prannoy win Senior National title
Saina Nehwal defeated PV Sindhu in the Senior National Badminton Championships to clinch the women’s singles title. At the same time, Hyderabad’s H.S. Prannoy defeated Kidambi Srikanth in the championship to clinch the men’s singles title.
Maya Swaminathan Sinha awarded Entrepreneur of the Year by ASSOCHAM
ASSOCHAM (Associated Chambers of Commerce and Industry of India) bestowed CMC Skills’ Founder Ms. Maya Swaminathan Sinha with the ‘Entrepreneur of the Year Award 2017’ in Ranchi.
- ASSOCHAM the apex body of industry & commerce of India had organized “One Day National Summit on Leadership Cum Awards 2017’’ in Ranchi.
International Day of Radiology: November 8
The International Day of Radiology (IDoR) is an annual event promoting the role of medical imaging in modern healthcare. It is celebrated on November 8 each year, and coincides with the anniversary of the discovery of x-rays.
- Main theme of International Day of Radiology 2017 is: “Emergency Radiology”.