Daily Current Affairs 8 November 2019 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
Indian, Thai ports ink 3 MoUs to boost connectivity
Ranong Port of Thailand and port trusts of Chennai, Visakhapatnam and Kolkata have inked three Memoranda of Understandings (MoUs) to cut down sea travel time by half between the two countries.
- These MOUs will contribute to BIMSTEC’s objective of strengthening connectivity and is a part of India’s Act East Policy.
India test-fires 3,500-km range K-4 underwater nuclear missile from Vizag
To further strengthen its capabilities of hitting enemy targets from submarines, India test-fired the 3,500 kilometre strike-range K-4 nuclear missile from an underwater platform off the coast of Andhra Pradesh.
- The missile system is being developed by the DRDO for the Arihant class nuclear submarines which are being built by India. These submarines would be the mainstay of India’s nuclear triad.
- K-4 is one of the two underwater missiles that are being developed. The other one is the over 700 kilometre strike range BO-5 missile.
Vice President inaugurates 10th Asian Conference of Emergency Medicine
Vice President M Venkaiah Naidu inaugurating 10th Asian Conference of Emergency Medicine in New Delhi. The aim of the conference is to develop programs and manuals to train citizens in emergency first aid procedures such as Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation as it will help in saving a life while waiting for emergency services.
Google builds App Defense Alliance to fight bad apps
Malicious apps are plaguing app stores and Google wants to fight them better. The search giant announced the launch of App Defense Alliance that will help stop the bad apps from reaching the official app stores.
- The App Defense Alliance will ensure the safety of the Google Play Store by quickly finding potentially harmful apps and stopping them from being published.
BANKING & FINANCE
RBI asks banks not to charge savings account customers for NEFT
The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) mandated banks not to charge savings account holders for National Electronic Funds Transfer (NEFT) from January 2020.
Karnataka Gramin Bank initiates ‘mobile ATMs’ to push digitisation in rural areas
In a move to boost digitisation in rural areas, the Karnataka Gramin Bank (KGB) has launched ‘mobile ATMs’ in Kalaburagi among several other districts in the state.
- The special vehicle includes an ATM and a screen to show videos of different banking schemes.
- The mobile ATMs will go to the doorsteps of the farmers and make them aware of the banking schemes and digital operating systems.
Bajaj Allianz General Insurance launches ‘Farmitra’ mobile app for farmers
Bajaj Allianz General Insurance has launched a new mobile app called ‘Farmitra’ for the ease of farmers. This app intends to help the farmers needs and address their worries.
- The app ‘Farmitra’ provides services for even those who are not customers of Bajaj Allianz.
India to host 2023 FIH Hockey Men’s World Cup
The Executive Board of the International Hockey Federation (FIH) announced that India would be hosting the Men’s Hockey World Cup in 2023.
- Spain and Netherlands have been confirmed as the co-hosts for the 2022 FIH Hockey Women’s World Cup.
Rohit Sharma becomes first Indian male cricketer to play 100 T20Is
Stand-in skipper Rohit Sharma has become the first Indian male cricketer to play 100 T20Is. He achieved the feat in the ongoing second T20I of the three-match series against Bangladesh here at the Khandheri Cricket Stadium in Rajkot, Gujarat.
Women’s boxing icon Nicola Adams announces retirement
Two-time Olympic boxing champion Nicola Adams (37 years) announced her retirement from the sport on medical advice due to the vulnerability of losing eyesight.
Fadnavis resigns as Maharashtra CM
Amid the political stalemate in Maharashtra, Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis met Governor Bhagat Singh Koshyari and submitted his resignation.
- There has been a delay in the formation of a new government in Maharashtra after the assembly polls due to differences between the BJP and Shiv Sena on power-sharing.
Sheikh Khalifa bin Zayed Al Nahyan re-elected as President of UAE
The UAE’s Supreme Council of the Union has re-elected his Highness Sheikh Khalifa bin Zayed Al Nahyan as its President for a 4th five-year term, in accordance with the provisions of the UAE Constitution.
5 Indian Authors novels make it to BBC’s 100 ‘Novels That Shaped Our World’ list
Renowned Indian authors like R K Narayan, Arundhati Roy, Salman Rushdie, Vikram Seth and V S Naipaul are among 100 writers who have featured on a list of the most inspiring novels chosen by a panel of experts and revealed by the BBC.
- Roy’s debut novel ‘The God of Small Things’ features in the identity category,
- Narayan’s ‘Swami and Friends’ in the ‘Coming of Age’ section
- Rushdie’s ‘The Moor’s Last Sigh’ is placed in the rule breakers class.
- Seth’s ‘A Suitable Boy’ also features on the list in the family and friendship category
- Naipaul’s ‘A House for Mr Biswas’ is placed in the class and society section.
Rani Mukherji is ‘Most Influential Cinema Personality’ in South-East Asia
Rani Mukherji received the ‘Most Influential Cinema Personality’ Award in South-East Asia for her phenomenal work in 2018 flick ‘Hichki’.
- Time and again she has proved her mettle as an actor having delivered some of the biggest blockbusters as well as the most loved movies of our generation.
CCMB scientist Manjula Reddy wins 2019 Infosys Prize for Life Sciences
For her work on understanding the structure and synthesis of the bacterial cell wall which is critical for the development of new antibiotics, Dr Manjula Reddy, the Chief Scientist of the Centre for Cellular and Molecular Biology (CCMB) has been awarded the 2019 Infosys Prize for Life Sciences. Her work has revealed a critical step during cell wall synthesis.
West Bengal based writer Abhisek Sarkar wins award at Dhaka Lit-fest
At the 9th edition of the Dhaka Literature festival, West Bengal-based writer Abhishek Sarkar and Bangladeshi poet Rofiquzzaman Rony were given the Gemcon Young Literature Award and Gemcon Young Poetry Award.
- Abhishek and Rofiquzzaman won the awards for their manuscripts, “Nishiddho” and “Dhoashar Tamate Rong,” respectively.
Gulab Kothari to be awarded Raja Ram Mohan Roy Award
Rajasthan Patrika group chairman Gulab Kothari has been chosen for the prestigious Raja Ram Mohan Roy Award, presented by the Press Council of India, for his outstanding contribution towards journalism.
TVS Motor Chairman Venu Srinivasan bags Deming award in Tokyo
Venu Srinivasan, Chairman of TVS Motor Company and Sundaram Clayton, was conferred with the Deming ‘Distinguished Service Award For Dissemination and Promotion Overseas’, at a ceremony held in Tokyo.
- Srinivasan becomes the first Indian industrialist from India to be bestowed with this prestigious award for his contributions in the field of Total Quality Management (TQM).