Daily Current Affairs 8 November 2021 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
Power Minister inaugurates diversion of Marusudar River at Pakal Dul HE Project in J&K
Union Power Minister R K Singh virtually inaugurated the diversion of Marusudar River of Pakal Dul Hydro Electric Project in Kishtwar.
- Pakal Dul HE Project (1,000 MW) is being constructed by Chenab Valley Power Projects Pvt Limited (CVPPPL), a joint venture company of National Hydro Electric Power Corporation (NHPC) and Jammu and Kashmir State Power Development Corporation (JKSPDC).
- CVPPPL has been entrusted with 3,094 MW hydro power projects for construction in Jammu and Kashmir.
- He said Pakal Dul H E Project will contribute significantly in fulfilling the target of 450 GW Renewable energy by 2030.
Tripura develops country’s ‘first-ever’ bamboo made cricket bat, stumps
Bamboo and Cane Development Institute (BCDI) of Tripura along with North East Centre of Technology Application and Reach (NECTAR) claimed to have developed the country’s first-ever bamboo made cricket bat maintaining all the standard protocols used for manufacturing cricket bats.
- The officials have said that these bats can be used in all formats of cricket and await feedback from professionals for additional value addition. The product was designed in Tripura’s Bamboo and Cane Development Institute using locally available materials.
- The hard “Boom (local Name)” bamboo has been used to develop the bats. At the same time, bamboo wickets have been also designed from “Kanakaich (a local variety of bamboo)” which is nearly solid.
BANKING & FINANCE
SBI launches ‘Video Life Certificate’ facility for pensioners
With an aim to offer seamless life certificate submission experience for millions of pensioners (other than family pensioners), the country’s largest lender State Bank of India (SBI), has announced the launch of the Video Life Certificate (VLC) facility.
- Pensioners from the comfort of their homes can schedule a video call with SBI staff at their convenience and complete the process of life certificate submission without having to visit the bank branch.
- Thus, spouse of the pensioner receiving a pension from the government will not be able to use this facility. As per SBI, the process of video life certificate is paperless and free of cost.
Finance ministry approves 8.5% return on PF deposits for FY21
The finance ministry has given its go ahead to 8.5% rate of interest on provident fund deposit for 2020-21 paving way for the Employees’ Provident Fund Organisation to credit the interest in accounts of over 60 million beneficiaries.
- The labour ministry has to notify the interest rate for the year before EPFO starts crediting it into the beneficiary account.
- The move is expected to leave EPFO with a surplus of Rs 300 crore compared to the preceding financial year when it had a surplus of Rs 1000 crore.
- EPFO had pegged an income of around Rs 70,300 crore in the previous fiscal including around Rs 4,000 crore from selling a portion of its equity investments and Rs 65,000 crore from debt.
BUSINESS & ECONOMY
Google’s parent company launches AI-driven drug discovery start-up
Google’s parent company Alphabet has launched a new company that aims to use artificial intelligence for drug discovery,
- The new company, called Isomorphic Laboratories, will leverage the success of DeepMind, another Alphabet subsidiary that used AI to predict the 3D structure of a protein directly from its amino acid sequence.
- Demis Hassabis will also serve as the CEO for Isomorphic during the initial phase, but the two companies will stay separate and collaborate where relevant.
Max Verstappen wins Mexico GP 2021
Max Verstappen won the Mexican Grand Prix at Autodromo Hermanos Rodriguez in Mexico City to extend his F1 World Championship points lead over runner-up Lewis Hamilton of Mercedes.
- Verstappen took the lead from third on the grid at the first corner, as he outbraked both Mercedes cars.
- Poleman Valtteri Bottas was pushed into a spin by the McLaren of Daniel Ricciardo at Turn 1 and dropped to the tail of the field.
TCS becomes title sponsor of Jaguar Formula E racing team
Tata Consultancy Services (TCS) has joined iconic British racing team Jaguar Racing as title partner, ahead of the 2021/22 ABB FIA Formula E World Championship.
- The team will be known as Jaguar TCS Racing. Tech Mahindra is already active in this space through its Mahindra Formula E racing team.
- The ABB FIA Formula E Championship is an electric street racing series and the world’s first fully electric international single-seater category in motorsport.
Mountaineer Priyanka Mohite to get Tenzing Norgay National Adventure Award
Maharashtra-based mountaineer Priyanka Mohite will be bestowed with the prestigious ‘Tenzing Norgay National Adventure Award 2020‘ for her outstanding contribution in the field of land adventure, a central government official said.
- Mohite, who hails from Satara district, will receive the award from President Ram Nath Kovind at a function in the Rashtrapati Bhawan in New Delhi on November 13.
Puneeth Rajkumar honoured posthumously with Basavashree Award 2021
Kannada actor Puneeth Rajkumar will be posthumously conferred the Basavashree award 2021 by the Bruhanmutt. Murugha Mutt seer Dr Shivamurthy Murugha Sharanaru made an announcement in this regard.
- The award honours people for services to society in their respective fields by following the principles of Lord Basaveshwar.
- It is presented by Chitradurga Bruhanmutt since 1997. The award includes a Rs 5 lakh cash and a memento.
President Kovind confers Padma awards to prominent personalities in Rashtrapati Bhavan
President Ram Nath Kovind presented Padma Vibhushan Award to Boxer MC Mary Kom this evening. He also honoured former Mauritius President Anerood Jugnauth and late seer of Pejawar Mutt Vishwesha Teertha Swami with the second-highest civilian honour posthumously.
- 119 Padma Awards will be presented by President this year. The list comprises 7 Padma Vibhushan, 10 Padma Bhushan and 102 Padma Shri Awards. 29 of the awardees are women, 16 Posthumous awardees and 1 transgender awardee.
- Mr Kovind presented Padma Bhushan to Gandhian Krishnammal Jagannathan, senior Jammu Kashmir leader Muzaffar Hussain Baig, veteran Gynecologist from Ladakh Dr Tsering Landol and business magnates Anand Mahindra and Venu Srinivasan. He also honoured English and Odia Author Manoj Das and Former Union Minister and former Goa Chief Minister Manohar Parrikar with Padma Bhushan posthumously.
- Prominent personalities who were given Padma Shri include Pulmonologist Digamber Behera, Environmentalist Tulsi Gowda, Singer Suresh Wadkar, TV series producer Ekta Kapoor, Filmmaker Karan Johar, Farmer and Sarpanch of model panchayat Popatrao Pawar, Sattriya dancer Indira PP Bora, Former Hockey Captain and Coach M P Ganesh, Bhajan singer and social worker Munna Master and Chaiti Ghoda dancer Utsab Charan Das. Convener of Bhopal Gas Peedit Mahila Udyog Sangathan, an advocacy group for victims, survivors and their families Abdul Jabbar was honoured with Padma Shri posthumously.
- Mr Kovind had honoured Former Union Ministers Arun Jaitley, George Fernandes, and Sushma Swaraj with Padma Vibhushan posthumously along with Classical singer Pandit Chhannulal Mishra. Badminton player P V Sindhu received Padma Bhushan. Prominent personalities who were given Padma Shri include Captain of women’s hockey team Rani Rampal, Singer Adnan Sami, former head scientist of ICMR, Dr Raman Gangakhedhkar, Actress Kangna Ranaut, Environmentalist Himmataram Bhambhu and veteran theatre and television artist, Sarita Joshi.
SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY
Australia to send a rover in 2024 to search for water on the moon
The Australian Space Agency announced plans to send an Australian-made rover to the Moon by as early as 2026, under a deal with NASA. The rover will collect lunar soil containing oxygen, which could eventually be used to support human life in space.
- If all goes according to plan, it will be the first rover with Australian-made components to make it to the Moon.
- Roving in search of water The ten-kilogram rover, measuring 60x60x50cm, will be launched on board the Hakuto lander made by ispace, a lunar robotic exploration company based in Japan.
BOOKS & AUTHORS
Haryana CM, Shri M L Khattar releases the book ‘Modern India’ by Poonam Dalal Dahiya
Shri M L Khattar, Haryana Chief Minister released the book ‘Modern India’ – a book authored by Poonam Dalal Dahiya; an author popular among the UPSC community for her subject-matter expertise.
- The book provides comprehensive information on the history of modern India.
International Day of Radiology
The International Day of Radiology, observed on November 8, is celebrated with an aim to build greater awareness of the significance of radiology.
- Radiologists, radiographers, and radiological technologists across the world mark this day to educate the world about the important role played by radiology professionals in the healthcare field and spread knowledge about how radiology contributes to safe patient care.