Daily Current Affairs 8 November for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
NOTE: To read complete Current Affairs, subscribe to our plan. All important news are not covered here.
FM Nirmala Sitharaman Launches 12 GST Seva Kendras In Vapi, Gujarat
Nirmala Sitharaman launched 12 Goods and Services Tax (GST) Seva Kendras at Gyandham School, Vapi, in Gujarat.
- The Union Finance Minister also gave away prizes to 6 customers with a cheque award of Rs 10 lakh to who participated in Mera Bill Mera Adhikaar scheme.
- The winners had uploaded their valid GST bills on the app after making a purchase.
Centre launches ‘Bharat Atta’ at Rs 27.5/kg ahead of Diwali
The Central government has launched a new wheat flour scheme called ‘Bharat Atta’ at a subsidised price of Rs 27.50 per kg. The scheme is aimed at providing affordable wheat flour to the poor and vulnerable sections of the society.
- The scheme will be implemented through the Public Distribution System (PDS), ensuring easy access to affordable wheat flour for the target population.
- To ensure widespread availability, Bharat Atta will be sold through cooperatives NAFED, NCCF, and Kendriya Bandar.
Chile becomes 95th member of International Solar Alliance ISA
Chile has become the 95th member of the International Solar Alliance ISA. Chile handed over the Instrument of ISA ratification during the meeting of Ambassador Juan Angulo of Chile with Joint Secretary (Economic Diplomacy) in Ministry of External Affairs Abhishek Singh in New Delhi.
- The ISA was jointly launched by Prime Minister Narendra Modi and French President Francois Hollande on November 30, 2015, in Paris on the sidelines of the 21st Conference of Parties (COP21) to the UNFCCC.
India ranks 2nd in employee well-being, Japan lowest
A recent global survey has ranked Japan lowest for employees’ well-being while keeping Turkey at the top and India just behind it, in the second spot. The survey was conducted by McKinsey Health Institute, and it assessed employees’ physical, mental, social and spiritual health before arriving at the conclusions.
- Japan scored a mere 25 per cent in the poll. Turkey scored highest at 78 per cent, followed by India at 76 per cent and China at 75 per cent, way higher than the global average of 57 per cent.
- The poll results were based on inputs received from 30,000 participants from nearly 30 countries.
BANKING & FINANCE
Axis Bank inks an MoU with IRMA to promote financial inclusion and literacy
Axis Bank and the Institute of Rural Management Anand (IRMA) have signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) to create the Axis Bank Chair for promoting financial inclusion at IRMA.
- This initiative is set to have a significant impact on driving forward financial inclusion and enhancing financial literacy in India.
BUSINESS & ECONOMY
Sephora and Reliance Retail Ventures Collaborate to Transform Beauty Retail in India
Sephora, the globally renowned omni-channel prestige beauty retailer, has unveiled a strategic partnership with Reliance Beauty and Personal Care Limited, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Reliance Retail Ventures Limited (RRVL).
- This alliance aims to propel and redefine the future of prestige beauty retail in India. Under the partnership, RRVL gains exclusive rights to expand and elevate Sephora’s presence across various retail channels in India.
Indian cotton production to be 6% lower this year
The Committee on Cotton Production and Consumption, which met recently , estimated cotton production in the current season (October 2023 to September 2024) to be 316.57 lakh bales (170 kg each) as against 336.60 lakh bales in 2022-2023.Cotton production during 2023-2024 cotton season is expected to be 6% lesser than the season that ended on September 30.
- However, global consumption has decreased by 0.43 percent to 23.35 million tonnes. Warehouses worldwide are currently holding an inventory of approximately 14.5 million tonnes, as per ICAC data.
- It is anticipated that Brazil, Argentina, and Tanzania will likely produce substantial crop yields, whereas the United States, Australia, and Greece are expected to have lower crop outputs.
National Coal Index Increases by 3.83 points in September
The National Coal Index (NCI) is marginally up by 3.83 points to 143.91 in Sept’2023, the first time increase since Apr’23. This incline was influenced by temporary rise of coal prices in global markets.
- The National Coal Index (NCI)had been rolled out on 4th June 2020 by the Ministry of Coal and it is a price index which reflects the change in price of coal on a particular month relative to the fixed base year.
Archer Deepika Kumari wins two gold medals at National Games
Former world No. 1 archer Deepika Kumari clinched two gold and a silver medal, while Asian Championships gold medal-winning shooter Aishwary Pratap Singh Tomar bagged the top spot in 50m rifle 3-positions event at the National Games.
- Deepika, representing Jharkhand, began her medal rush with a gold in the women’s individual category, and later paired with Mrinal Chauhan to secure the top podium finish in the mixed team category.
- She also helped Jharkhand win silver in the women’s team event, where it lost to Haryana in the shootout.
Apolinaris D’Souza Honored With The 19th ‘Kalakar Puraskar’ Award
The 19th edition of the prestigious ‘Kalakar Puraskar,’ was awarded to Apolinaris D’Souza, a prominent Konkani singer, lyricist, and composer in a award ceremony in Mangaluru.
- The award honors individuals who have demonstrated outstanding talent and commitment to the arts, which can be an inspirational beacon for aspiring artists.