Daily Current Affairs 8 October 2017 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
Prime Minister launches Intensified Mission Indradhanush (IMI)
Prime Minister Narendra Modi launched Intensified Mission Indradhanush (IMI). At the launch he said, “Let no child suffer from any vaccine-preventable disease”.
- Through this programme, Government of India aims to reach each and every child under two years of age and all those pregnant women who have been left uncovered under the routine immunisation programme.
- The special drive will focus on improving immunization coverage in select districts and cities to ensure full immunization to more than 90% by December 2018.
- The achievement of full immunisation under Mission Indradhanush to at least 90% coverage was to be achieved by 2020 earlier. With the launch of IMI, achievement of the target has now been advanced.
India is hosting International Conference on Dialogue of Civilizations – IV
The Archaeological Survey of India (ASI), Ministry of Culture, Government of India, in collaboration with National Geographic Society is hosting an international conference on “Dialogue of Civilizations – IV” from 8th – 15th October, 2017 at Delhi, Gandhinagar and Dholavira.
- This conference is fourth in this series of ‘dialogues’ initiated by National Geographic Society in 2013 with an objective to encourage scholarly and public discourse about the five ancient, literate civilizations of the world, i.e. Egypt, Mesopotamia, South Asia, China and Mesoamerica and how the study of the past can share our present and future towards the right direction.
- The first conference of this series was inaugurated in Guatemala in 2013 followed by Turkey in 2014 and China in 2015.
Dr. Mahesh sharma inaugurates ‘Rashtriya Sanskriti Mahotsav – 2017’ at Ahmedabad
Continuing its endeavor to promote India’s Heritage, Ministry of Culture has organised 3 days long diversified cultural carnival ‘Rashtriya Sanskriti Mahotsav – 2017’ at the premises of Sabarmati River Front Event Centre, Ahmedabad, Gujarat.
U’khand Govt. launches ‘Solar Briefcase’ to provide electricity in remote areas
The Uttarakhand Government and a charitable funding agency, Swan Cultural Center and Foundation launched ‘Solar Briefcase’ in Kedarnath Dham. The initiative was taken to provide electricity to far flung areas in the hill state.
- There are more than 60 villages in the state where electrification has not yet been done due to the difficult geographical conditions.
Arunachal Pradesh, Meghalaya, and UP Sign MoU to Boost Culture and Tourism
An MoU was signed by Uttar Pradesh, Arunachal Pradesh and Meghalaya under the ‘Ek Bharat, Shrestha Bharat’ program, to boost cultural ties. Under the program, the states will connect with each other to know more about the culture, heritage and traditions of each other.
Haj Committee Recommends Abolishing of Subsidy
Committee appointed by the government on Haj Policy has recommended phasing out of subsidy for Haj pilgrims and allowing women devotees above 45 years of age to travel in a group of at least four without a male.
- In view of the Supreme Court direction, the Ministry had set up the Panel under the Chairmanship of former Secretary Afzal Amanullah to review the existing Haj Policy and to suggest a framework for new Haj policy 2018-22.
NASA’s Mars Odyssey probe captures first image of moon Phobos
After orbitting the Red Planet for 16 years, NASA’s Mars Odyssey spacecraft has captured its first images of the Martian moon Phobos.
- The Thermal Emission Imaging System (THEMIS) camera on Mars Odyssey orbiter, launched in 2001, observed Phobos on September 29. Phobos has an oblong shape with an average diameter of about 22 kilometres.
Anupama clinches World Open Under-16 Snooker Championship title
India’s Anupama Ramachandran has clinched the World Open Under-16 Snooker Championship title at St. Petersburg in Russia.
Samiya wins gold at U-15 Asian Junior Championship
Indian shuttler Samiya Imad Farooqui clinched the gold medal at the Under-15 women’s singles competition after defeating Indonesia’s Widjaja Stephani at the Asian Junior Championship in Yangon, Myanmar.
Gurusaidutt wins Bulgarian International
Commonwealth Games bronze medallist RMV Gurusaidutt (Indian Badminton Player) clinched the men’s singles title at the Bulgarian International Future Series tournament.
Nadal thrashes Kyrgios, wins 2nd China Open title
Spanish tennis player Rafael Nadal has clinched the China Open title for the second time in his career after beating Australian Nick Kyrgios.
Lewis Hamilton wins Japanese GP as Sebastian Vettel retires
Lewis Hamilton has secured a dream victory in the Japanese Grand Prix against title rival Sebastian Vettel and has moved within one race of winning the F1 World Drivers’ Championship.
Noted journalist Bismoy Kumar Mohanty passes away
Noted journalist Bismoy Kumar Mohanty passed away following a heart attack.
Comedian Ralphie May passes away
American Stand-up comedian Ralphie May has passed away.