Daily Current Affairs 8 September 2019 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
Centre set to develop annual infrastructure pipeline to achieve $5 trillion GDP
Ministry of Finance said that to achieve the GDP of 5 trillion US dollar economy by 2024-25, India needs to spend about Rs 100 lakh crore over these years on infrastructure and for this, an annual infrastructure pipeline would be developed.
- To achieve this task, a Task Force under the chairmanship of Atanu Chakraborty, Secretary (DEA) has been constituted by Union Finance Minister to draw up a National Infrastructure Pipeline for each of the years from FY 2019-20 to FY 2024-25.
PM Modi Inaugurates First ‘Make in India’ Metro Coach In Mumbai
Prime Minister Narendra Modi inaugurated the first coach for Mumbai Metro built under the ‘Make in India’ programme.
- He also initiated projects of about Rs 20,000 crore for Mumbai and urged the people to avoid throwing plastic and other waste materials into the seawater while immersing the idols of Lord Ganesha.
6th India-China Strategic Economic Dialogue held in Delhi
The 6th India-China Strategic Economic Dialogue (SED) being held in New Delhi had discussions on infrastructure, energy, high technology, resource conservation, pharmaceuticals and policy coordination.
- There were meetings of joint working groups followed by technical site visits and closed-door G2G meetings. The Indian side wasled by NITI Aayog’s Vice Chairman Rajiv Kumar and the Chinese side by Chairman of National Development and Reform Commission (NDRC).
Indo-Lanka maritime fleet exercise – SLINEX 2019
Two Sri Lankan naval ships, Sindhurala and Suranimala, arrived at the port of Visakhapatnam to participate in ‘SLINEX 2019’, the bilateral maritime exercise between India and Sri Lanka.
- The joint drills will see wide-ranging naval exercises between the navies of India and Sri Lanka, including helicopter operations.
After Bahamas, Hurricane Dorian causes flooding in N Carolina, landfall in Canada
After leaving a trail of destruction in the Bahamas, Hurricane Dorian reduced to a Category 1 storm which made landfall in North Carolina, according to the USA’s National Hurricane Center. Dorian caused flooding in parts of the state and spawned a number of tornadoes.
- After US, it made landfall in Nova Scotia province, Canada, knocking off rooftops and trees and leaving hundreds of people without power.
2019 South Asian Parliamentarian conference for Children of UNICEF held in Colombo
The United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF) along with the parliament of Srilanka at the Colombo city conducted the two-day-long 2019 UNICEF South Asian Parliamentarian Conference on Children Rights Convention to celebrate the 30th anniversary of the adoption of the convention of the rights of the child. This is the 3rd convention conducted by UNICEF with parliamentarians for children where the meeting aims to discuss the issues faced by children and on the challenges to improve the child rights.
Vice president Naidu releases book of President Kovind’s speeches
Vice President M Venkaiah Naidu on Friday released books – ‘Loktantra Ke Swar’ in Hindi and ‘The Republican Ethic’ in English, which are the compilations of speeches of President Ram Nath Kovind from his second year in office.
The Vice President also released the e-version of the books at the inaugural event held in New Delhi.
Team that captured first image of black hole wins 2020 Breakthrough Prize in Fundamental Physics
An international group of astrophysicists, who captured the first image of the black hole back in April, received the 2020 Breakthrough Prize in Fundamental Physics.
- The team, called Event Horizon Telescope Collaboration (EHT), will collectively pocket USD 3 million as the prize money, which would be equally divided among the 347 scientists who together worked from 20 different countries to accomplish the groundbreaking feat.
Dhirubhai Ambani International School ranked among the global Top 10 IB Schools
Mumbai’s Dhirubhai Ambani International School (DAIS) was ranked 10th in the “Global Top 50 IB Schools 2019” list.
- Situated in the Bandra-Kurla Complex, the institution is the only Indian school to feature amongst the top 10 in the list.
Eminent lawyer Ram Jethmalani passes away
Eminent lawyer and former Union Minister Ram Jethmalani has passed away, just six days short of his 96th birthday.
- Jethmalani served as the law minister and the urban development minister in the Atal Bihari Vajpayee cabinet. He had also served as the Chairman of Bar Council of India.