Daily Current Affairs 8 September 2022 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
NOTE: To read complete Current Affairs, subscribe to our plan. All important news are not covered here.
PM Modi inaugurates Kartavya Path, unveils Netaji statue at India Gate
Prime Minister Narendra Modi inaugurated the newly-refurbished Kartavya Path and unveiled a statue of freedom fighter Subhas Chandra Bose at India Gate in New Delhi.
- Kartavya Path – a stretch of the Central Vista from Rashtrapati Bhavan to India Gate – was formerly known as Rajpath. Union Minister of State for External Affairs and Culture Meenakshi Lekhi announced the name change. She said that the name Rajpath reflected a “colonial mindset” as it conveys the idea of “raj”, or rule.
- A statue of Subhas Chandra Bose at the same place near India Gate was also unveiled where a hologram statue of the freedom fighter had been inaugurated on January 23 this year. The statue, carved from a monolithic granite stone, is 28 feet tall and weighs 65 megatonnes. Its main sculptor is Arun Yogiraj, the prime minister’s office said.
Healthcare sector in India expected to reach size of 50 billion dollar by 2025: Govt
Science and Technology Minister Dr Jitendra Singh has said that Healthcare sector in India is expected to reach a size of 50 billion dollar by 2025. Addressing the 14th CII Global MedTech Summit in New Delhi, Dr Singh said, over the past two years healthcare has become more focused on innovation and technology.
Airtel partners Odisha utility to offer bill payment solution
Bharti Airtel has launched a pilot project in partnership with TP Northern Odisha Distribution to offer bill payment solutions to more than two million registered customers of the utility, said a senior executive at India’s second largest telecom operator.
BANKING & FINANCE
HDFC Bank introduces new SMS banking facility for its customers
The private sector lender HDFC Bank introduced a new SMS banking facility for its customers. The bank claims that now customers can access a wide range of banking services round-the-clock. 24/7 x 365 no matter where they are.
- With the new SMS banking facility, customers can now check account balances & summaries, apply for loans, manage credit cards, apply for chequebook requests, generate account statements and more.
- HDFC Bank has said via a Tweet that “Banking services are now a text away! #BankOnUs and access a wide range of banking services from wherever you are, round-the-clock. 24/7 x 365! To get started, SMS “Register” <Space> “Last 4 digits of customer ID” <Space> “Last 4 digits of account number” to 7308080808.”
Google Cloud, HDFC ERGO team up to digitise insurance buying in India
Google’s cloud computing division is partnering with HDFC ERGO General Insurance to build a platform that will help digitize the buying and servicing of insurance in India, especially among millennials.
Through the platform, HDFC ERGO will launch innovative insurance products and offer digital and personalized customer experiences.
Mahesh V Iyer takes over as Mahanagar Gas Ltd Chairman
State-run city gas utility, Mahanagar Gas Limited (MGL), has appointed Mahesh Vishwanathan Iyer as the company’s new chairman.
- Iyer was director (Business Development) with GAIL NSE (India) Limited till last month. Gail is the promoter of MGL.
‘Jail ka khana’ gets 5-star FSSAI rating in Uttar Pradesh’s Farrukhabad
The Fatehgarh Central jail in Uttar Pradesh’s Farrukhabad district has earned five-star rating from the Food Safety Standards Authority of India (FSSAI) for the quality of food it serves to inmates.
- It is a recognition of food quality and hygiene, which means the inmates are getting quality food items prepared in jail.
Bengal bags Best Destination for Culture’ award by travel writers’ association
West Bengal has been adjudged as the “Best Destination for Culture” by a global organisation of travel writers , Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee said.
- The award will be conferred at the World Tourism and Aviation Leaders’ Summit in Berlin on March 9, 2023.
Asian Games, Commonwealth medal-winning boxer Birju Sah passes away
Asian Games and Commonwealth Games bronze medal winning boxer Birju Sah passed away in Jamshedpur, Sah’s family sources said. He was 48.
- Sah bagged bronze medals in the light flyweight category at the 1993 Asian junior championships and 1994 Asian Games and Commonwealth Games.
Legendary artist Ram Chandra Manjhi passes away
In Bihar, the doyen of Bhojpuri folk theatre art “Launda Naach” and legendary artist Ram Chandra Manjhi passed away. He was 97-year.