Daily Current Affairs 9 & 10 November 2020 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
Uttar Pradesh among Top 5 in MSME employment generators amid Covid-19
Uttar Pradesh has found place among top five states of the country for providing employment under the Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises (MSMEs) during Corona pandemic.
- The states ahead of Uttar Pradesh are Madhya Pradesh, Gujarat, Tamil Nadu and Maharashtra.
- In a recent report of Reserve Bank of India (RBI), Uttar Pradesh has secured a place ahead of Karnataka, Rajasthan, Delhi, Haryana and Telangana in the list of top 10 states.
India’s first solar-based water supply project launched in Arunachal Pradesh
India’s first solar-based Integrated Multi-Village Water Supply Project (IMVWSP) was dedicated to the people of Arunachal Pradesh by Union Jal Shakti Minister Gajendra Singh Shekhawat.
- The solar-based lift water supply project for 39 villages in Lower Dibang Valley district in northeastern Arunachal Pradesh was commissioned at a cost of Rs 28.50 crore.
- The project is designed to provide drinking water to 17,480 people and has been conceived as an integrated project with an element of drinking water, green energy and tourism component in it.
- The project is first of the kind in the state using green energy-solar grid, SCADA automation system, pre-fabricated zinc alum storage tank and HDPE conduit for mains, sub-mains and distribution networking system, and also amusement park including swimming pool, amphi-theatre, fountains, and sit-outs.
PM Modi inaugurates Ro-Pax Hazira-Ghogha ferry service in Gujarat
Prime Minister Narendra Modi inaugurated Ro-pax ferry services between Hazira near Surat and Ghogha in Bhavnagar district, through video conferencing.
- This ferry service will reduce the distance between Bhavnagar and Surat from 375 km (by road) to just 90 kilometres (by sea route).
- The three-deck Ro-Pax Ferry Vessel ‘Voyage Symphony’ connecting Hazira in Surat district of south Gujarat and Ghogha in Saurashtra’s Bhavnagar has a load capacity of 30 trucks, 100 passenger cars, and 500 passengers plus 34 crew and hospitality staff.
- The Ro-Pax terminal is 100 metre long and 40 metre wide costing approximately Rs 25 crore.
Ministry of Shipping renamed as Ministry of Ports, Shipping and Waterways
The Union Ministry of Shipping is being renamed as the Ministry of Ports, Shipping and Waterways, in line with how it functions in most of the developed nations. With more clarity in name, there will be more clarity in the work.
- It was officially announced by Prime Minister Narendra Modi.
- At present, Mansukh L. Mandaviya is the Union Minister of Shipping which is now Ministry of Ports, Shipping and Waterways.
U’khand CM inaugurates Dobra-Chanthi Suspension Bridge in Tehri-Garhwal
Uttarakhand Chief Minister Trivendra Singh Rawat inaugurated the 725-metre long Dobra-Chanthi suspension bridge in Tehri-Garhwal district.
- This project is the longest motorable single lane suspension bridge in India.It has been built at a cost of Rs 2.96 crores.
- This bridge will become a source of prosperity for the people living in the region and future generations as well.
Uttarakhand CM launches free Wi-Fi service for govt colleges, universities
Uttarakhand Chief Minister Trivendra Singh Rawat launched free high-speed WiFi service for all government colleges and universities in the state.
- Uttarakhand is the first state in the country to provide free internet to all government colleges and universities.
- Rawat said the move is a big step towards Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s Digital India initiative and connecting the old with the modern.
Kerala launches scheme for better livelihood of fisherfolk
The Government of Kerala launched a pioneering environmental program called ‘Parivartanam’ to improve the livelihood of the fishing community.
- The objective of which is to improve the livelihood skills of the youth along the coastline and to enable the socio-economic upliftment of fishermen community.
- Parivarthanam, which means change, will be headed by Kerala State Coastal Area Development Corporation (KSCADC).Apart from this, the Central Institute of Fisheries Technology (CIFT) of Union governments will monitor procurement and processing of fish besides ensuring its quality.
Gujarat HC becomes first state apex court to live-stream proceedings on Youtube
The Gujarat High Court became the first high court in the country to live-stream its court proceedings on Youtube in order to enhance access to courts, especially during the Covid-19 pandemic.
- The link to watch the proceedings is available on the YouTube channel of the Gujarat High Court. The link to live stream the proceedings will be updated every evening.
BANKING & FINANCE
Bharti AXA General Insurance launches cancer awareness drive on social media
Bharti AXA General Insurance has launched #CancerSendsNoNotifications campaign – a special initiative to increase awareness and spread knowledge on detecting the disease early among people in India.
- Observing the ‘National Cancer Awareness Day’, the company has embarked upon this social media campaign comprising a series of activities to be held throughout the month to highlight the significance of increased awareness about cancer prevention and early detection among the public.
- Through this cancer awareness drive, Bharti AXA aims to engage with close to a million Indians on Facebook, Instagram and LinkedIn.
Airtel Payments Bank partners with Bharti Axa General Insurance to offer car insurance
Airtel Payments Bank has partnered with Bharti AXA General Insurance to offer comprehensive car insurance to the payments bank’s customers.
- The Smart Drive Private Car Insurance offers financial protection against damage to the vehicle due to accident, theft, and natural and man-made disasters.
- The car insurance offered through Airtel Payments Bank also compensates for injury or damages to another person or property caused due to a car accident.
Marg ERP and Paytm partners to resolve MSMEs payment issue digitally
One of the biggest enterprise solutions providers in India, Marg ERP, with over 50 per cent market share in Pharma and FMCG sector nationally, has come together with Paytm to facilitate seamless transactions for MSMEs.
- Under this joint venture, the duo empowers MSMe using this new integrated payments solution called MargPay developed by Marg ERP Limited.
- This technological advancement will reconcile payments efficiently in a cost effective manner by enabling MSMEs to keep track of all their receipts and payments made through multiple payment methods.
Sebi introduces flexi cap category in mutual funds
The markets regulator, SEBI has introduced a ‘flexi-cap category’ for mutual funds (MFs), which will be required to invest at least 65% of the corpus in equity but will have no restrictions on investing in large-, mid- or small-cap company stocks.Unlike the new multi cap funds, there is no restriction in terms of allocation to any market cap.
- According to the new rule, multi cap funds will now have to invest at least 25% of their corpus in large-, mid- and small-cap stocks. Many fund houses raised concerns about the risk in investing 25% in mid and small cap stocks and had demanded the formation of a flexi cap category.
- The move comes after new guidelines theissued in September required asset managers to more evenly spread their ‘multi-cap’ fund schemes across small, mid and large-cap stocks, or else convert their multi-cap schemes into other scheme categories, by 31 January 2021.
German Bank KfW extends 545 million Euro funding to MMRDA infra projects
The German state-owned development bank KfW has extended two loans totalling over €545 million (Rs 4,767 crore) to the Mumbai Metropolitan Region Development Authority (MMRDA) for infrastructure projects in Mumbai.
- The funds will be disbursed through an agreement with India’s Ministry of Finance and will be utilised to support two key mass transit projects in Mumbai. These projects are Metro line 4 from Wadala in central Mumbai to Kasarvadavli in Thane, and Metro line 4A that extends to the connectivity from Kasarvadavli to Gaimukh in Thane.
- This is part of the Mumbai Metropolitan Region Development Authority’s plan to build a 337-km metro rail network. The credit package consists of a development loan of €345 million and a promotional loan of €200 million.
BUSINESS & ECONOMY
IFFCO Bazar Partners With SBI YONO Krishi App
www.iffcobazar.in, the e-commerce arm of IFFCO has announced its integration with the SBI YONO Krishi, which is the dedicated portal catering to the farmer’s needs.
- This will ensure that a wide variety of agriculture products are made accessible to lakhs of Indian Farmers.
- Hassle free payment portal of SBI YONO and quality products of IFFCO is a combination which aims to drive the digital sales in this segment.
Paris Masters 2020: Daniil Medvedev defeats Alexander Zverev to win his maiden title
World No.5 Daniil Medvedev of Russia has won the 2020 Rolex Paris Masters title by defeating World No.7 Alexander Zverev of Germany, 5-7, 6-4, 6-1.This is the maiden Paris Masters title of Medvedev.
- Thist is his eighth career title and third at a Masters event. This is Medvedev’s second win against Zverev in seven matches, and his previous victory against the imposing German was also in a Masters final last year in Shanghai
Joe Biden elected 46th President of the United States, Kamala Harris as first female U.S. Vice-president
Democratic candidate Joseph Robinette Biden Jr., was elected the 46th President of the United States, beating incumbent U.S. President Donald Trump, by securing more than the required 270 of 538 Electoral College votes needed to win the White House.
- Mr. Biden’s running mate, Kamala Devi Harris, a U.S. Senator from California, will become the first woman and first Indian- and African-American Vice-President of the country.
- Joe Biden was Barack Obama’s vice president from 2008 to 2016, and has sought the Democratic nomination twice before – in 1988 and 2008. The 77-year-old is a six-time senator from Delaware.
- He is the oldest US president in history at 77, but if Trump had won, he would have been the oldest too, at 74 years.
S Hareesh’s Moustache wins JCB Prize for Literature’ 20
Moustache, authored by Malayalam writer S. Hareesh and translated to English by Jayasree Kalathil, has won the 2020 JCB Prize for Literature
- The JCB Prize for Literature is regarded as the richest literary prize in India. As per the norm, the Malayalam author will receive a ₹25 lakh cash prize and the translator will receive an additional ₹10 lakh.
- Last year, the award went to Madhuri Vijay for her debut novel, The Far Field.
Assam’s Tezpur Litchi gets GI tag
Tezpur Litchi of Assam has been granted the Geographical Indication (GI) tag.Now Tezpur Litchi has been protected from the production of the fruit in other places.
- GI tag has granted Tezpur Litchi an incontrovertible proof of its origin in the state.
Former Sikkim CM Nar Bahadur Bhandari passes away
The three-term former chief minister of Sikkim, Nar Bahadur Bhandari, passed away. The 77-year old Bhandari rose to become one of the longest-serving chief ministers of Sikkim.
- Bhandari became the chief minister of the tiny Himalyan state for the first time in 1979 on a Janata Parishad ticket and then again in 1984 and 1989 on a Sikkim Sangram Parishad ticket. The founder of the SSP, Bhandari remained its president till his death.
- Known as a pragmati and resilient leader, Bhandari was the second chief minister after L D Kazi to hold the reins of the fledgling state which officially became a part of the Indian Union in 1975.
- He was also a former president of Sikkim Pradesh Congress Committee.
BOOKS & AUTHORS
Anupam Kher unveils cover of his new book ‘Your Best Day Is Today!’
Veteran actor Anupam Kher unveiled the cover of his latest book “Your Best Day Is Today!”. Kher had announced the book, in which he experiences during the coronavirus-induced countrywide lockdown.
- Through this book, Kher will recount his experiences during the lockdown, several ups and downs, including the time when his mother Dulari and brother Raju Kher had contracted the virus.
“Archaeology and the Public Purpose: Writings on and by M.N. Deshpande” authored by Nayanjot Lahiri released
The book, “Archaeology and the Public Purpose: Writings on and by M N Deshpande”, is written by history professor Nayanjot Lahiri has been released recently.
- A new book will document the life and times of former director general of the Archaeological Survey of India (ASI) Madhusudan Narhar Deshpande.
- The book, which brings out selected articles written by Deshpande from his writings and notes, also narrates forgotten stories like how Deshpande helped iconic environmentalist Chandi Prasad Bhatt in saving the traditional fabric of Badrinath temple in the 1970s.
Vice President of India launches the book titled “Thavaasmi: Life and Skills through the lens of Ramayana”
Vice President of India Shri M. Venkaiah Naidu launching the book titled, Thavaasmi: Life and Skills through the lens of ramayana.
- The book “Thavaasmi: Life and Skills through the lens of ramayana” is in four volumes and is prepared by a team of young professionals after years of extensive research.
- It presents the story of Ramayana as a dialogue between a father and daughter with a number of exercises making it an interesting learning experience
‘Wildlife Rescue’ app launched to rescue wild animals in Chandigarh
PicsThe Governor of Punjab & the Administrator of UT Chandigarh V.P. Singh Badnore launched the Mobile Based Application (App) for online monitoring of rescue, reporting and release of the wildlife in Chandigarh.
- The App is made with an objective to rehabilitate wildlife in distress in city areas, parks, reserved or protected forests in urban and rural settlements.
- Through this App, timely dissemination of information to the concerned authorities is possible for injured and distress wild animals
International Day of Radiology
The International Day of Radiology (IDoR) is an annual event promoting the role of medical imaging in modern healthcare. It is celebrated on November 8 each year and coincides with the anniversary of the discovery of x-rays.
- International Day of Radiology Theme 2020 is Radiologists and radiographers supporting patients during COVID-19.
National Legal Services Day
The National Legal Services Day is celebrated on 9th November to spread awareness for ensuring reasonable fair and justice procedure for all citizens.
- National Legal Services Day (NLSD) was first started by Supreme Court of India in 1995 to provide help and support to poor and weaker sections of the society.