Current Affairs 9 April 2017
RBI to allow banks to invest in REITs, InvITs
Banks will be allowed to invest in real estate investment trusts (REITs) and infrastructure investment trusts (InvITs), attracting more institutional investors to such assets and expanding the investment scope of banks.
- REIT/InvIT is a structured business trust model facilitating entrepreneurs and corporates to monetise their capital locked in assets through issue of units to investors at large.
- Just like a mutual fund scheme, investors can own units in a REIT and the rental income is shared among the investors.
Deadline for bank savings account holders to give PAN extended to June 30, 2017
The finance ministry has extended the time limit for providing Permanent Account Number (PAN) or Form No. 60 by bank account holders who have not given it at the time of account opening or later to June 30, 2017.
Union Minister Rajnath Singh inaugurates Web Portal “Bharat ke Veer”
The Union Home Minister, Shri Rajnath Singh inaugurated the web portal and mobile application named “Bharat ke Veer” on the occasion of Valour Day of Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF).
- The portal is an IT based platform, with an objective to enable willing donors to contribute towards the family of a braveheart who sacrificed his/her life in line of duty.
New Delhi, Dhaka to jointly produce documentary on Bangladesh’s Liberation War
New Delhi and Dhaka have agreed to jointly produce a documentary film on the Liberation War of Bangladesh, that resulted in the country’s freedom from Pakistan.
- PM Modi also announced naming of a prominent road in New Delhi after Bangladesh’s founder Sheikh Mujibur Rahman
- It is to mark the Golden Jubilee Year of Bangladesh’s independence in 2021.
Jharkhand CM gives Rs 50 lakh cheque to ‘Begum Jaan’ team
Jharkhand Chief Minister Raghubar Das has given a cheque of Rs. 50 lakh to the team of ‘Begum Jaan’ backed by the Bollywood filmmaker, Mahesh Bhatt.
- Earlier, it was also announced that the Vidya Balan-starrer movie, Begum Jaan will be made tax free in Jharkhand.
- Major portions of the movie has been shot in the state.
Indian-origin educationist in UK named ‘Asian Businesswoman of the Year’
Dame Asha Khemka, an Indian-origin educationist in the UK, who moved to Britain after her marriage with no English language skills, has been named the ‘Asian Businesswoman of the Year’ in an award ceremony in Birmingham.
Lewis Hamilton wins Chinese Grand Prix ahead of Sebastian Vettel
Mercedes driver Lewis Hamilton won the Chinese Grand Prix by defeating Ferrari’s Sebastian Vettel.