Daily Current Affairs 9 December 2019 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
Rajya Sabha forms informal group to study issues related to pornographic content on Internet, social media
Rajya Sabha Chairman Venkaiah Naidu announced the formation of a 14-member informal group to study issues related to pornographic content on the Internet and social media platforms.
- Congress leader Jairam Ramesh will co-ordinate the group which will submit its report within a month.
President lays foundation stone for Paika Rebellion memorial in Odisha
In Odisha, President Ram Nath Kovind laid the foundation stone for a memorial to mark completion of 200 years of Paika Rebellion, a valiant uprising of Paikas in 1817 against the British Rule which is often termed as the First War of Independence at Barunei Hill in Khordha.
- The proposed project will come up at the foothills of Barunei hills in Khurda district. The memorial is seen as an epitome of Odisha’s valour and will serve as an inspiration for the youth.
Haryana CM inaugurates Integrated Command and Control Centre in Gurgaon
Haryana Chief Minister Manohar Lal Khattar has inaugurated Gurgaon’s ambitious Integrated Command and Control Centre (ICCC). It has been developed as the nerve centre to provide multifaceted online smart services to people.
- It was built at the cost of 38 crore rupees.Currently 160 government buildings and police stations of the city have been connected with this network.
Karnataka govt. and NDMA conducts workshop on 2020 Heatwave
National Disaster Management Authority (NDMA), in collaboration with the Government of Karnataka, organized a two-day national workshop titled Preparedness, Mitigation, and Management of Heat Wave in Bengaluru, Karnataka.
The workshop is conducted to emphasize the importance of Climate Change that has led to the rise of average summer temperature by 0.5 deg C in the past five years.
Human Library event held in Mysuru
In Karnataka, Human Library, a concept which seeks to replace books with humans, was held in the City of Palaces, Mysuru. The first event of Human Library aims to break past long-standing prejudices and stereotypes by creating a safe framework for conservation by using a library analogy of lending people rather than books.
- Copenhagen, Denmark-headquartered Human Library is a registered international non-profit organization.
- In India, Human Library is spread across various metropolitan cities including Hyderabad, Mumbai, Delhi, Bengaluru.
NMCG organises 4th India Water Impact Summit 2019 held in Delhi
Ministry of Jal Shakti, Government of India and the Centre for Ganga River Basin Management and Studies (cGanga) led by IIT Kanpur organized the 4th India Water Impact Summit from 5-7 December 2019 at the Vigyan Bhawan, New Delhi.
- Day two of the summit was inaugurated with the theme ‘Valuing Water-Transforming Ganga’ by the Union Jal Shakti Minister, Gajendra Singh Shekhawat.
54th DGsP/IGsP Conference held in Pune
The 54th DGPs & IGPs Conference was inaugurated by the Union Home Minister Amit Shah in Pune, Maharashtra. The Prime Minister also awarded the President’s police medals for distinguished service to officers of the Intelligence Bureau.
- Government’s plan to set up an All India Police University and All India Forensic Science University in Maharashtra was announced by home minister Amit Shah.
PM Modi greets member countries on 35th SAARC Charter Day
Prime Minister Narendra Modi has extended his greetings and felicitations to the people of member countries on the 35th SAARC Charter Day on 9th December.
- 35th SAARC Charter Day, dedicate ourselves to the task of fulfilling the aspirations of our people for a prosperous and peaceful South Asia
India is 1st Asian Guest of Honour at Mexico Int’l Book Fair, MoS HRD inaugurates India Pavilion
Sanjay Dhotre, Union Minister of State (MoS) for Human Resource Development (HRD) inaugurated the India Pavilion at the International Book Fair in Guadalajara, Mexico. Gandhi’s philosophy ‘Let Our Lives Be Open Books’ is the theme of the India pavilion.
- This is the 33rd edition of Guadalajara International Book Fair and India is the Guest of Honour nation in this edition, and is the first Asian country to have received this honour.
IAF chief RKS Bhadauria set to participate in PACS 2019 in US
Air Chief Marshal RKS Bhadauria is set to participate in the Pacific Air Force Chiefs Conference (PACS-2019) at the American military base in Pearl Harbour in Hawaii, US. The theme of the conference is ‘Collaborative approach towards Regional Security’. The IAF chief is expected to present his views during the meeting.
7th OPEC and non-OPEC Ministerial Meeting concludes in Vienna, Austria
The 7th OPEC and non-OPEC Ministerial Meeting was held in Vienna, Austria under the Co-Chairmanship of OPEC’s President, HE Manuel Salvador Quevedo Fernandez, People’s Minister of Petroleum of the Bolivarian Republic of Venezuela, and HE Alexander Novak, Minister of Energy of the Russian Federation.
- The 18th Meeting of JMMC will be held during the first week of March 2020 in Vienna, Austria, with an OPEC and non-OPEC Ministerial Meeting on the 6 March 2020.
8th edition of Embassy’s annual film festival inaugurated at Riyadh
The eighth edition of the Embassy’s annual film festival titled “Ambassador’s Choice: Screening of Films” was inaugurated at the auditorium of Embassy of India, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia.
- The twelve-day festival, which is being held from 5th to 18th December, kicked off with the screening of three Arabic short movies titled: ‘The Swan Song’, ‘A Colourful Life’ and ‘Jaleed’, followed by an interactive session with the directors of the respective movies.
BANKING & FINANCE
RBI increases peer-to-peer lending limit from Rs 10 lakh to Rs 50 lakh
The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has increased lending limit for Non-Banking Financial Company-Peer to Peer Lending platforms (NBFC-P2P) to Rs 50 lakh.
- Until now, the cap was at Rs 10 lakh. However, the exposure of a single lender to borrower is capped at Rs 50,000. This means that a lender on the P2P platform cannot lend more than Rs 50,000 to the same borrower across all P2P platforms at any point in time.
Indian junior women’s hockey team wins three nations tournament
The Indian junior women’s hockey team won the three-nations tournament after finishing at the top of the points table.
- India had seven points from four matches, ahead of host Australia on goal difference, with New Zealand finishing third with only three points from its four matches
NSE appoints Girish Chandra Chaturvedi as chairman
Leading stock exchange NSE has appointed Public Interest Director Girish Chandra Chaturvedi as its new chairman.
- Chandra will be the successor of Ashok Chawla who resigned as the chairman of the National Stock Exchange(NSE) in January 2019
CSB Bank re-appoints Rajendran Chinna Veerappan as MD & CEO
The Kerala based CSB Bank, formerly known as formerly known as Catholic Syrianre-appointed Rajendran Chinna Veerappan as Managing Director and CEO of the Bank.
- Veerappan has been on CSB board since November 2016 and his tenure was to end on 8 December 2019.
Namibian President Hage Geingob secures second term
Namibia’s President Hage Geingob has won the country’s Presidential elections securing a second term despite a recession and a corruption scandal that has fuelled popular discontent.
Sanna Marin elected the youngest-ever Prime Minister of Finland
Former transport minister, 34-year-old Sanna Marin elected as the Prime Minister of Finland. Marin is set to become the world’s youngest sitting prime minister.
- She is country’s youngest leader ever and third female PM of Finland
- Marin will take over from Antti Rinne, a former trade unionist who resigned last week after just six months in office when he lost the confidence of the Centre party
President of India presents the National Florence Nightingale Awards
The President of India, Shri Ram Nath Kovind, presented the National Florence Nightingale Awards to 36 nursing personnel include Lini Puthussery, the nurse from Kerala who died due to Nipah virusin New Delhi on the occasion of International Nurses Day.
- The president informed that World Health Organisation has announced 2020 as the Year of the Nurse and Mid-wife.
South Africa’s Zozibini Tunzi crowned Miss Universe
South Africa’s 26 year old Zozibini Tunzi is the Miss Universe 2019. Zozibini and Miss Universe Puerto Rico Madison Anderson were the top two contestants for the Miss Universe title.
Priyanka Chopra Jonas tops the IMDb 2019 list of Indian celebrities
Actor and singer Priyanka Chopra Jonas has been named as the top star of Indian cinema and television series in 2019 in a list released by IMDb.
- Actor Disha Patani is on second spot, followed by Hrithik Roshan, Kiara Advani, Akshay Kumar, Salman Khan, Alia Bhatt, Katrina Kaif, Rakul Preet Singh and Sobhita Dhulipala.
International Anti-Corruption Day
International Anti-Corruption Day has been observed annually, on 9 December, since 2005 to raise public awareness for anti-corruption.
- This year’s theme for International Anti-Corruption Day 2019 is – “United Against Corruption – Take action – Lead the change – Be the change”