Daily Current Affairs 9 February 2018 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
Power Ministry launches web-based monitoring system and fly-ash mobile application
Power Ministry launched a web-based monitoring system and a fly-ash mobile application. It will act as an interface between producers and consumers. The ASH TRACK Mobile App will manage 200 million tonnes of fly ash by tracking coal-based power plants situated within 100 km and 300 km from given location and availability of fly ash.
IndusInd Bank Launches New Sonic Identity, A musical Logo
IndusInd Bank launched its new Sonic Identity, which is essentially a musical logo called ‘MOGO’, as part of its branding initiatives.
- The objective for associating to a sonic identity is building the Bank’s brand imagery with the strategic use of music and sound for brand experiences and audience connection.
India improves global IP index rank to 44 out of 50
India has substantially improved its ranking, to 44, in the latest Global Intellectual Property (IP) index released by the US Chambers of Commerce. India’s overall score is 30 per cent (12.03 out of 40) in the latest edition of the index.
- The US is at the top of the IP index list with 37.98 points, followed by Britain (37.97) and Sweden (37.03).
CCI Slaps Rs 136 crore Fine on Google for Unfair Business Practices
The Competition Commission of India (CCI) has imposed a fine of around Rs. 136 crores on search engine major Google for unfair business practices in the Indian market for online search.
- The penalty is being imposed on Google for infringing anti-trust conduct. It was alleged that Google is indulging in abuse of dominant position in the market for online search through practices leading to search bias and search manipulation, among others.
Khelo India School Games concludes; Haryana tops overall medal tally with 38 gold medals
The first Khelo India School Games concluded in New Delhi with sports powerhouse Haryana topped the overall medal tally.
- The state won 102 medals which include 38 gold and 26 silver. Maharashtra with 111 medals finished second while Delhi with 94 medals came third.
- Khelo India School Games was a part of the Khelo India programme which has been introduced by the Sports Ministry to revive the sports culture in the country at the grassroots level and make India a sporting nation.
Olympic Winter Games kick off with colourful ceremony at Pyeongchang
The 23rd Olympic Winter Games officially kicked off with a colourful ceremony at Pyeongchang in South Korea. The festivities launched what organizers say is the largest Winter Olympics yet, with 92 countries participating.
Indra Nooyi becomes ICC’s first independent female director
PepsiCo Chairman and CEO Indra Nooyi has been appointed to the International Cricket Council (ICC) Board as the governing body’s first independent female director.
- Nooyi will join the Board in June this year to align with the term of the ICC Independent Chairman.
Amitabh Bachchan to be brand ambassador for The Muthoot Group
The Muthoot Group has roped in Amitabh Bachchan as brand ambassador to represent them in their national campaigns.
Reliance Industries wins Golden Peacock Award 2017 for CSR
Reliance Industries (RIL) has been awarded the Golden Peacock Award 2017 for corporate social responsibility (CSR) initiatives.
- The award was a recognition, in particular, of the work done by its CSR arm Reliance Foundation under Founder and Chairman Nita Ambani.
Sachin Tendulkar, his wife launch book on child health care
Legendary Indian cricketer Sachin Tendulkar and his wife Anjali Tendulkar launched a book on child health care titled ‘Even When There Is A Doctor’.
- Penned down by Dr Yashwant Amdekar along with Dr Rajesh Chokhani and Krishnan Sivaramakrishnan, the book describes the role of an individual or parents in improving their child’s health.