Daily Current Affairs 9 February 2020 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
SC notify all states to establish Gram Nyayalayas
The Supreme Court has directed the states to establish Gram Nyayalayas within four weeks’ time span.
- The Gram Nyayalayas should be established for every Panchayat at the intermediate level or a group of contiguous Panchayats at intermediate level in a district or where there is no Panchayat at intermediate level in any State for a group of contiguous Panchayats.
Sum of Rs 6,717.18 crore released under Amended Technology Upgradation Fund Scheme between FY16 and FY20
The government has released a total of Rs 6,717.18 crore under the Amended Technology Upgradation Fund Scheme (ATUFS) during 2015-16 to 2019-20.
- A total of 9,641 applications, covering employment of 2.86 lakh persons and investment of Rs. 40026.5 crore submitted by textile units, have been issued with UIDs (unique identification numbers) till January 2020.
Hyderabad Metro Rail becomes Country’s 2nd Largest Operational Metro Project
Telangana Chief Minister K Chandrasekhar Rao inaugurated an 11-km stretch of the Hyderabad Metro Rail project between Jubilee Bus Station and the Mahatma Gandhi Bus Station.
- With this inaugural, the Hyderabad Metro Rail becomes the second-largest operational metro network in the country.
LPG coverage reached 96.9 % as on Jan 1, 2020: Dharmendra Pradhan
There are about 27.5 crore LPG or cooking gas connections in the country and the coverage has reached 96.9 per cent as on January 1,2020.
- Of which, 8 crore connections have been done under Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana (PMUY).
Haryana Launches Rs.1500 crores Mukyamantri Parivar Samridhi Yojana
In order to provide social security benefits to eligible families of the State, Haryana Chief Minister, Manohar Lal launched “Mukhyamantri Parivar Samridhi Yojna” .
- Under this scheme, annual financial assistance of Rs 6000 will be provided to those families in the State whose annual income is upto Rs 1.80 lakh and land holding is less than 5 acres so that premium of various welfare schemes of the Central Government, pension scheme and crop insurance could be paid automatically from the bank accounts of the needy families.
IIM Bengaluru ranks third in Global MOOC performance among Business schools
Indian Institute of Management Bangalore (IIMB) secured the third rank in the global list of Top Business Schools of 2020 by MOOCLab.
- HEC Paris (France) and Wharton School of the University of Pennsylvania (USA) have secured the first and second rank respectively.
BANKING & FINANCE
ADB approved $2 million fund amount to combat nCoV
Asian Development Bank (ADB) approved two million dollars in new funding to support efforts to combat the spread of novel coronavirus (nCoV).
- The funds will supplement ongoing regional technical assistance and strengthen response capacity in Cambodia, China, Laos, Myanmar, Thailand, and Vietnam.
BUSINESS & ECONOMY
India ranked 2nd in producer of Crude Steel
India now ranks as the second-largest producer of crude steel after China,said by Union Minister Dharmendra Pradhan.
- India’s crude steel production in 2018 was at 109.3 million tonnes, up by 7.7 percent from 101.5 million tonnes in 2017.This moved up to 111.2 million tonnes in 2019.
Indian leopard population declined by 75-90% as per study conducted by CWS
Leopard population has declined 75-90 per cent in India, according to a study conducted by scientists from the Centre for Wildlife Studies (CWS India) and the Wildlife Institute of India
- Study has suggested that the carnivore demand similar conservation attention like tigers in the country.
- They collected faecal samples and identified 56 unique individuals using a panel of 13 microsatellite markers, and merged this data with already available 143 leopard individuals
American Author Roger Kahn passes away
Author Roger Kahn, perhaps best known for his 1972 best-selling book “The Boys of Summer” that nostalgically romanticised the Brooklyn Dodgers of a bygone era, died. He was 92.
- Kahn wrote at least 20 books, and often waxed poetic about baseball, the sport he loved as a child.
Reserve Bank to conduct Financial Literacy Week (FLW) 2020 from February 10–14
RBI conducts Financial Literacy Week (FLW) every year since 2016 to propagate financial education messages on a particular theme every year across the country, through a focused campaign.
- The theme selected for current year FLW is “Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises (MSMEs).