Daily Current Affairs 9 July 2019 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
Employment under MGNREGS increased by 76.11% in 2018-19
Union Minister for Rural Development Narendra Singh Tomar said that 52.04 lakh people were given employment under MGNREGS (Mahatma Gandhi National Rural Employment Guarantee Scheme) in 2018-19. This showed an increase of 76.11%. In 2017-18, 29.55 lakh people were employed under the scheme. Meanwhile, 39.91 lakhs were given employment under MGNREGS in 2016-17.
Haryana launches ‘Meri Fasal Mera Byora’ portal for farmers
The Haryana government announced the launch of ‘Meri Fasal Mera Byora’ portal whereby farmers can avail benefits of several government schemes directly after uploading their crop-related details.
- This simple system will enable farmers to self-report their land and crop details and help them receive benefits of several government schemes directly
Delhi-Lucknow Tejas Express set to be first train to be run by private operators
The Delhi-Lucknow Tejas Express is set to be the first train to be operated by private players, indicating that the Railways is going ahead with its 100-day agenda of handing over operations of two of its trains to the private sector, despite protests from its unions.
- The Railway Board is deliberating on a second such route, which too would be within the 500-km distance range.
India to host 14th Conference of Parties, 197 countries expected to participate
India is set to host the 14th Conference of the Parties (COP) from September 02 to 13, confirmed Minister of Environment, Forest and Climate Change Prakash Javadekar.
- The global conference will be hosted at India Expo Mart Limited in Greater Noida. As many as 197 countries are expected to participate in the conference.
India hands over 250 houses to Myanmar’s Rakhine State
India handed over 250 houses to the displaced Muslim minorities, who are currently residing in Myanmar’s Rakhine State, under the Rakhine State Development Programme (RSDP) for USD 25 million for a period of five years.
- A memorandum of understanding (MoU) on RSDP was signed between India and Myanmar in December 2017 aiming to contribute to the socio-economic development in the northern Rakhine State.
Sharjah issues its first golden visa to Indian businessman Lalu Samuel
Sharjah has granted its first golden visa – to Indian businessman Lalu Samuel. A long-time resident of the UAE, Mr Samuel is chairman of the Sharjah-based Kingston Group, one of the largest manufacturers and distributors of electrical products in the Middle East.
- He has lived in the Emirates for the past 37 years and Forbes Middle East named him one of the “top 100 most influential Indian business leaders in the Arab world” several times.
BUSINESS & ECONOMY
RBI board finalises ‘Utkarsh 2022’
The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) board, which met in New Delhi, finalised a three- year roadmap to improve regulation and supervision, among other functions of the central bank.
- This medium term strategy — named Utkarsh 2022 — is in line with the global central banks’ plan to strengthen the regulatory and supervisory mechanism.
Sunil Chhetri and Ashalata Devi bag top honours in AIFF awards
Indian men’s footballer Sunil Chhetri and women’s footballer Ashalata Devi won the biggest prizes in their respective categories as the All India Football Federation (AIFF) announced awards for the 2018-19 season.
- Chhetri was declared as the men’s footballer of the year whereas in the women’s category Devi was announced as the footballer of the year.
- Sahal Abdul Samad was declared as the emerging player of the year in the men’s category whereas Manipur’s Dangmei Grace was announced as the emerging player of the year in the women’s category.
Commonwealth Senior Weightlifting Championships Gold for India
- Mirabai Chanu wins gold in the senior women’s 49 kg event.
- Jhilli Dalabehra wins gold in the senior women’s 45 kg event.
- Soroikhaibam Bindyarani Devi wins gold in the senior women’s 55kg event.
- Rishikanta Singh grabbed the gold in the senior men’s 55kg event.
Mexico beats US to lift 8th Gold Cup
Mexico’s men’s soccer team have won their record eighth CONCACAF Gold Cup by defeating the United States in the final. The loss for the US men came hours after the women’s team lifted its second consecutive World Cup title.
Magnus Carlsen won the 2019 Croatia Grand Chess Tour title
Magnus Carlsen won the 2019 Croatia Grand Chess Tour title. He scored 8 points. Wesley So finished second with 7 points.
- India’s Viswanathan Anand ended up with 4.5 points and finished 11th.
LinkedIn appoints sales veteran Ashutosh Gupta as country manager for India
LinkedIn, the professional social networking company announced Ashutosh Gupta as its new country manager for India.
- Gupta, who is an alumnus of IIM-Lucknow and IIT (BHU), Varanasi, is an experienced sales leader.
‘Gully Boy’ wins NETPAC award in Bucheon film festival
Filmmaker Zoya Akhtar’s directorial ‘Gully Boy’ has won the Network for the Promotion of Asian Cinema (NETPAC) Award at the 23rd Bucheon International Fantastic Film Festival (BIFAN) in South Korea.
”War over Words: Censorship in India, 1930-1960” authored by Devika Sethi released
The book titled “War over Words: Censorship in India, 1930-1960” authored by Devika Sethi who teaches modern Indian history at Indian Institute of Technology (IIT)-Mandi was released. It explains the state censorship in India in the transition period from colonial to national rule, when historical actors behaved in unpredictable ways.
Ex-Argentine Pres Fernando de La Rua passes away at 81
Former Argentine President Fernando de La Rua passed away at a Buenos Aires hospital. He was hospitalised due to severe cardiac and kidney complications.