Daily Current Affairs 9 March 2018 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
French President on a 4-day visit to India
French President Emmanuel Macron has arrived for a four-day-visit (March 9 to 12) to India, on the invitation of Prime Minister Narendra Modi.
- The visit of President Macron is aimed at strengthening the bilateral economic, political and strategic dimension of our engagement.
Sanitary pad dispenser installed in Rajdhani Express
On the occasion of International Women’s Day on March 8, for the first time in the country a sanitary pad dispensing machine was installed in a coach of Mumbai-New Delhi Rajdhani Express.
- It has been installed on a trial basis and the move would be extended to other trains as well.
Bengaluru gets first all-women-run rail station
From March 8 (on the occasion of International Women’s Day), Banaswadi railway station in Bengaluru, Karnataka will be run entirely by women.
- All the employees at the Banaswadi station, including the station master, booking clerk, and reservation clerk, among others, will be women.
- Apart from this, other all-women-run railway stations are located in Matunga in Mumbai, Gandhinagar in Jaipur, Chandragiri in Andhra Pradesh’s Chittoor district and Ajni in Nagpur, Maharashtra.
Rajasthan passes bill awarding death for rape of girls aged 12 or less
The Rajasthan assembly unanimously passed a bill that will see rapists of girls 12 years or below being hanged till death. Rajasthan has become second state after Madhya Pradesh to pass such a bill.
- Now the bill will be sent to the Centre and will need the assent of the President to become a law.
Madhya Pradesh Announces Pension For Single Women
On International Women’s day on 8th March, Madhya Pradesh CM Shivraj Singh Chouhan launched ‘Mukhyamantri Mahila Kosh’ scheme. Under this scheme, the women who aren’t married and are above the age of 50 will be given pension.
Diu Becomes First UT to be 100% Powered by Solar Energy
Diu has become the first Union Territory in India to run 100 percent on solar power generated energy. Diu has managed to generate surplus solar power for its residents, reducing their electricity costs, in a span of just three years.
Swachh Shakti 2018 celebrated in Lucknow under Swachh Bharat Abhiyan
The Ministry of Drinking Water and Sanitation in association with Uttar Pradesh Government had organized Swachh Shakti 2018, a Women’s Convention on occasion of International Women’s Day in Lucknow. This year, Uttar Pradesh had hosted Swachh Shakti 2018, being largest state in country (in terms of population) with massive rural populace.
BANKING & FINANCE
RBI slaps Rs 5 crore penalty on Airtel Payments Bank for violation of norms
The Reserve Bank has imposed a penalty of Rs 5 crore on Airtel Payments Bank for violating operating guidelines and Know Your Customer (KYC) norms.
- The fine was imposed after RBI scrutinised the bank’s documents relating to opening of accounts without any specific or clear consent from the customers.
RBI imposes Rs 10 lakh penalty on Equitas Small Finance Bank
The RBI has imposed a penalty of Rs 10 lakh on Equitas Small Finance Bank for failing to comply with a licensing condition of obtaining prior approval from the central bank for certain actions. The company was selling mutual fund, pension and insurance products without taking approval from the regulator.
Banks’ gross NPAs at Rs 8.41 lakh crore in Dec
The government announced that the gross non-performing assets (NPAs) of all the banks in the country amounted to Rs 8,40,958 crore in December, led by industry loans followed by services and agriculture sectors.
- The gross NPAs or bad loans of scheduled commercial banks as on December 31, 2017 due to loans to industry were at Rs 6,09,222 crore, accounting for 20.41 per cent of the gross advances.
- The highest amount of gross NPAs was for country’s largest lender SBI at Rs 2,01,560 crore.
Virat Kohli named Uber India’s first brand ambassador
Popular ridesharing app Uber announced the appointment of Indian skipper Virat Kohli as its first brand ambassador in India, thus embarking on a first-of-its-kind initiative across the Asia Pacific (APAC) region.
First Woman Inducted As Combat Officer In ITBP
In another first for women, 25-year-old Prakriti has been inducted as the first direct-entry combat officer in the Indo-Tibetan Border Police.
- The ITBP is the last of the Central Armed Police Forces (CAPFs) to induct women officers in combat roles after the government first allowed it to enrol them in 2016.
Book Fulfilling Bapu’s Dreams – Prime Minister Modi’s Tribute to Gandhiji launched
The President of India, Shri Ram Nath Kovind, received the first copy of the book ‘Fulfilling Bapu’s Dreams – Prime Minister Modi’s Tribute to Gandhiji’ from Sadhguru Jaggi Vasudev, who formally released it at a function held at Rashtrapati Bhavan.
- The book underscores an important aspect of India’s developmental process – linking sanitation with broad mass participation, making it a mass movement, giving central importance to the practical needs of ordinary citizens in policy, and establishing ethical ideals firmly in public life.
Sufi singer Pyare Lal Wadali passes away
Pyare Lal Wadali, the younger brother of Sufi singer Puran Chand Wadali of the Wadali brothers, died of cardiac arrest.
- The Wadali brothers some years ago had taken the country by storm by their hit album featuring Sufi songs such as ‘Tu mane ya na mane dildara, aasan te tenu rab manya’.
World Kidney Day 2018: 8 March
World Kidney Day, which is a global campaign aimed at raising awareness on the importance of kidneys, was celebrated on March 8 this year. Ever since its inception in 2006, it has been observed on the second Thursday of March with a special theme for the year.
- The theme of World Kidney Day 2018 is “Kidneys and Women’s Health”.