Daily Current Affairs 9 March 2020 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
Indian Coast Guard conducts 9th edition of rescue exercise ‘SAREX-2020’ in Goa
Final exercise of the National level Search and Rescue Exercise (SAREX-2020) was conducted by the Indian Coast Guard in the sea at Vasco, South Goa district.
- Theme of the exercise is ‘Harmonization of Maritime and Aeronautical Search and Rescue (HAMSAR)
- It was observed by observers from 19 countries
Agartala and Ghojadanga approved as authorised land immigration check posts
Tripura capital Agartala and West Bengal’s Ghojadanga have been designated by the government as authorised land immigration check posts to enter or exit India.
- Both Agartala and Ghojadanga are located along the Indo-Bangladesh border
Government reconstructs The National Platform for Disaster Risk Reduction (NPDRR)
The government has reconstituted the National Platform for Disaster Risk Reduction (NPDRR) with Union Home Minister Amit Shah as its chairperson and Defence Minister Rajnath Singh and Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman, among others, as its members.
- The NPDRR is a multi-stakeholder and multi-sectoral decision making body on disaster management.
MWCD & world bank organizes a discussion programme-“The Future of Work: Women in India’s Workforce
The Ministry of Women and Child Development (WCD) and the World Bank organized a discussion on the ‘The Future of Work: Women in India’s Workforce‘, in New Delhi.
- This program is part of a series of events to observe International Women’s Day 2020 to celebrate the achievements of women in business, women enablers and public, private and civil society organizations.
Uttarakhand CM unveils nutrition promotion fortnight for women
Uttarakhand Chief Minister Trivendra Singh Rawat inaugurated the “Poshan Pakhwada 2020” organised by the Department of Women’s Empowerment and Child Development on the occasion of the International Women’s Day.
- This is the second anniversary of the nutrition campaign in the state.
Harsh Vardhan launches helpline for women with science and technology background
On the occasion of International Women’s Day, Union Science and Technology Minister, Harsh Vardhan launched a women helpline number–01126565285– for women and students with science and technology background
- The main purpose of the helpline is to provide all kinds of information to women in the field of science and technology.
Tamil Nadu tops in Poshan Abhiyan’s participants list
The Union Government is implementing the flagship programme Poshan Abhiyan for improving the nutritional status of Indian citizens
- Tamil Nadu tops the list of the states in terms of the number of participants in the programme. The Integrated Child Development Scheme has been in force for long in the southern state that has got rejuvenated with the Centre’s Poshan Abhiyaan mission.
India’s UHNWI Population To Grow By 73% In Five Years: Knight Frank
According to Knight Frank’s Wealth Report 2020, Despite rising geopolitical tensions, slow growth forecasts and uncertainty remaining the norm in 2019, about 51 per cent of the ultra-wealthy Indians experienced an increase in their fortune.
- the number of ultra high net worth individuals (UHNWIs with net worth of more than 30 million dollars or about Rs 220 crore) in India is predicted to grow by a whopping 73 per cent in the next five years, almost doubling the count to 10,354 from 5,986 in 2019.
- The growth in India’s ultra wealthy is expected to be on the back of the growth prediction of the economy with GDP touted to reach the 7 per cent mark by 2022.
India joins Indian Ocean Commission (IOC) as its 5th observer to boost Indo-Pacific vision
India has joined as an observer of the Indian Ocean Commission — the inter-governmental organisation that coordinates maritime governance in the south-western Indian Ocean — a move that will bolster Delhi’s Indo-Pacific vision.
- The decision was taken at the meeting of the IOC Conference of ministers in Seychelles making India the fifth observer. The other four observers China, Malta, European Union and International Organisation of La Francophonie (OIF).
Girls still face violence and discrimination, 70% trafficked in 2016: UNICEF report “A New Era for Girls
The UNICEF, Plan International and UN Women report, A New Era for Girls: Taking stock of 25 years of progress, finds that while girls’ lives are better today than they were 25 years ago, the gains are uneven across regions and countries. This is particularly true for adolescent girls.
- Girls still face violence and discrimination even after 25 years of Beijing Declaration and Platform for Action. The Beijing Declaration was aimed at advancing women’s and girls’ rights in the country.
- The number of out-of-school girls worldwide dropped by 79 million between 1998 and 2018
- This report demonstrates the need to focus on the realities girls face today and addresses the critical issues of making sure girls have access to 12 years of education and the skills they need for the workforce; ending gender-based violence, child marriage and female genital mutilation (FGM); and improving girls’ health and nutrition.
BUSINESS & ECONOMY
Govt approves TCS, DLF proposals to set up SEZs for IT in Haryana, UP
The government has approved the proposals of software firm TCS and realty major DLF to set up special economic zones (SEZs) for IT sector in Haryana and Uttar Pradesh.
- The approval was given by the Board of Approval, the highest decision-making body for SEZs, in its meeting on February 26 in New Delhi. The inter-ministerial body is chaired by the commerce secretary.
West Indies skipper Kieron Pollard becomes 1st player to play 500 T20s
West Indies skipper Kieron Pollard became the first player in the history of T20 cricket to feature in 500 matches when he took the field against Sri Lanka for the first T20I.
- Dwayne Bravo is second in the list with 453 matches under his belt so far.
- Chris Gayle is at the third spot in the list as he has featured in 404 T20 matches
Nupur Kulshrestha becomes Indian Coast Guard’s first woman DIG
Nupur Kulshrestha was promoted as DIG of Indian Coast Guard.
- Nupur joined the service in 1999 and became the first woman to be promoted to this level.
Australia defeat India to win its fifth Women’s T20 WC
Australia displayed an all-round performance to defeat India by 85 runs to win its fifth Women’s T20 World Cup title at the Melbourne Cricket Ground (MCG).
- Before this edition, Australia had won the tournament in 2010, 2012, 2014 and 2018.
Shafali Verma becomes youngest player ever to play Cricket World Cup final
16-year-old Shafali Verma scripted history as she became the youngest player ever (female or male) to play the World Cup finals across both 20-over and 50-over formats.
- The record was previously held by West Indies’ women’s cricketer Shaquana Quintyne when she played the ODI World Cup final in 2013.
ICC launches campaign to promote women’s game
The International Cricket Council (ICC) launched “100 per cent cricket“, a 12-month campaign dedicated towards the promotion of women’s cricket.
- The campaign has been launched on International Women’s Day ahead of the ICC T20 World Cup final at the MCG between India and Australia
Poonam Yadav only Indian to feature in Women’s T20 WC team of the tournament
Poonam Yadav is the only Indian player to feature in the Women’s T20 World Cup team of the tournament announced byInternational Cricket Council.
- 16-year-old Shafali Verma has been selected as the 12th member of the team, after not being picked in the playing XI.
2020 BNP Paribas Open postponed due to coronavirus outbreak
Due to the public health emergency after a confirmed case of coronavirus (COVID-19) locally, the 2020 BNP Paribas Open “will not take place at this time” and will be held later said by said Tournament Director Tommy Haas
SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY
Nasa’s next Mars rover will be called Perseverance
The American space agency has a new name for the rover it will be sending to the Red Planet this summer.
- To date, the project has been known only by its code name – Mars 2020.
- From now on, it will be referred to as the Perseverance rover
Former Union Minister Hans Raj Bhardwaj passes away
Former Union minister and senior Congress leader Hans Raj Bhardwaj passed away. He was 82.
- Bhardwaj served as the Union Law Minister and Governor of Karnataka