Daily Current Affairs 9 November 2019 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
PM Modi inaugurates Integrated Check Post of Kartarpur Corridor
Prime Minister Narendra Modi formally inaugurated the Integrated Check Post of the Kartarpur Corridor in Gurdaspur, Punjab. The Integrated Check Post or the passenger terminal building is where pilgrims will get clearance to travel through the newly-built corridor. The check post will facilitate Indian pilgrims to visit Gurudwara Kartapur Sahib in Pakistan.
- The corridor connects Dera Baba Nanak shrine in Gurdaspur district of Punjab to Gurdwara Kartarpur Sahib in Pakistan.
Government to set up one lakh digital villages
Union Minister for Communications and Information Technology Ravi Shankar Prasad announced that the Government will set up one lakh digital villages in the country in the coming years. He said, around 800 such villages are already operational on pilot basis.
Govt sets up Rs.25,000 crore fund to revive stalled housing projects
The government has decided to set up 25 thousand crore rupees fund to revive stalled housing projects. The fund will provide relief to developers that require funding to complete a set of unfinished projects and consequently ensure delivery of homes to the home-buyers.
Indian Railways launches 3 online applications for all-India rollout to strengthen IT enablement
Indian Railways has launched three applications for all-India roll out to strengthen its IT-enabled services which will help ensure proper monitoring of projects being undertaken by Railways.
- The applications, namely CRS Sanction Management System, Rail-road crossing GAD approval system and TMS for construction aim at beefing up IT-enabled services.
Jagan Reddy launches ‘connect to Andhra’ web portal
Andhra Pradesh Chief Minister YS Jagan Mohan Reddy launched ‘connect to Andhra’ web portal which gives details about the donations received from various sources.
- It will give details of the funds that would be collected from donors, societies, Non-Residents Indians (NRIs) and Corporate social responsibility (CSR) funds.
UP, Bihar at bottom of India’s justice league
A study, titled ‘India Justice Report’, which Tata Trusts published recently, developed an index of justice system across the country using four parameters police, prisons, judiciary and legal aid. An assessment of 18 bigger states revealed that UP and Bihar have the worst justice system in India. While UP ranked at the bottom of the list, Bihar stood at number 17.
- The state with the best justice system according to the report is Maharashtra with a score of 5.92. It is followed by Kerala (5.85), Tamil Nadu (5.76), Punjab (5.53) and Haryana (5.53).
2-day BIMSTEC Conclave held in Visakhapatnam
The two-day BIMSTEC (Bay of Bengal initiative multi-sector technical and economic cooperation) Conclave was held on 7th and 8th November at Visakhapatnam, Andhra Pradesh.
- Vizag port trust hosted the conclave first time ever since the formation of BIMSTECH in 1997. Seven-member countries that includes Bangladesh, India, Myanmar, Srilanka, Thailand, Nepal, Bhutan are participating in the conference.
India-Indonesia joint naval exercise ‘Samudra Shakti’ held in Bay of Bengal
The navies of India and Indonesia held their joint naval exercise ‘Samudra Shakti’ in Bay of Bengal. Anti-submarine warfare corvette INS Kamorta jointly exercised with Indonesian warship KRI Usman Harun, a multi-role corvette, in the Bay of Bengal as part of the bilateral exercise ‘Samudra Shakti’.
IORA meeting held in Abu Dhabi
Indian Ocean Rim Association (IORA) meeting was held in Abu Dhabi, UAE. The Minister of State for External Affairs V Muraleedharan led the Indian delegation to attend the 19th IORA Council of Ministers meeting. The theme is “Promoting a Shared Destiny and Path to Prosperity in the Indian Ocean.”
BANKING & FINANCE
Indian Bank, Muthoot Microfin sign MoU
Public sector Indian Bank has signed a memorandum of understanding with Muthoot Microfinance to serve micro, small and medium enterprises. Under the memorandum of understanding, the bank and the non-banking finance company will jointly lend to the MSME borrowers.
Exim Bank gives $30 million line of credit to Ghana
Exim Bank has entered into an agreement with Ghana for a line of credit (LoC) of $30 million (about Rs 210 crore) for financing rehabilitation and up-gradation of potable water system in Yendi, Ghana.
- Under the arrangement, financing of export of eligible goods, works and services from India would be allowed subject to their being eligible for export under the Foreign Trade Policy of India and whose purchase may be agreed to be financed by the Exim Bank.
Six-time world champion Mary Kom becomes ‘Mary Kom OLY’
Six-time world champion MC Mary Kom expressed gratitude to the World Olympian Association (WOA) after it allowed her the use of post-nominal letters ‘OLY’.
- ‘OLY’ signifies sportspersons’ ongoing role in society as an Olympian, living and promoting the Olympic values.
- The initiative allows Olympians to use the OLY lettering on any official documentation after their name much like when one gets a degree.
Haryana Police shines at 23rd All India Police Golf Tournament
Haryana Police clinched the overall team Gross Championship in the 23rd All India Police Golf Tournament. The tournament was held at the Oxford Golf Course in Pune.
Mauritius Prime Minister Pravind Jugnauth re-elected
Mauritius has re-elected Prime Minister Pravind Kumar Jugnauth for a second five-year term, the electoral commission announced.
Sanjay Gupta named country manager at Google India
Google India has appointed Sanjay Gupta as its new country manager and vice-president of sales and operations for India.
- He replaces Rajan Anandan, who left Google to join Sequoia Capital India.
Kumar Mangalam Birla gets UAE govt-backed ABLF Global Asian Award
Kumar Mangalam Birla, chairman of the Aditya Birla Group, received the prestigious ABLF Global Asian Award in Dubai. The award, backed by the UAE government, honours Birla for being a “powerful individual whose business footprint and commitment to excellence have engaged international interest and attention.
Former Mohun Bagan General Secretary Anjan Mitra passes away
Former General Secretary of Mohun Bagan club Anjan Mitra has passed away following multiple problems. Mitra was 72.
Renowned Bengali Author and Padma Shri Awardee Nabaneeta Dev Sen passes away
Renowned Bengali author Nabaneeta Dev Sen has passed away at 81 years following a prolonged illness. She breathed her last after suffering from multi-organ failure. Sen had been battling with cancer for sometime now
International Day of Radiology
The International Day of Radiology is an annual event promoting the role of medical imaging in modern healthcare. It is celebrated on November 8 each year and coincides with the anniversary of the discovery of x-rays.
- This year’s theme is “Sports Imaging”.