Daily Current Affairs 9 November 2022 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
NOTE: To read complete Current Affairs, subscribe to our plan. All important news are not covered here.
Mathura-Vrindavan aims to become a carbon neutral tourist destination by 2041
The Uttar Pradesh government has made an ambitious plan to make the Vrindavan -Mathura tourist pilgrimage center carbon neutral by 2041. This will be the first tourist center in India to plan for a carbon neutral status.
- The government expects the tourist arrival in the Mathura Vrindavan region to increase from the present 2.3 crore per year to around 6 crore in 2041.
- To deal with the expected increase in footfall and increase in carbon footprint, the government has made a plan to make the region carbon neutral by 2041.
Nagaland organized Tokhu Emong Bird Count
Nagaland is prepared to host the first bird documentation event – ‘Tokhü Emong Bird Count’ (TEBC). ‘Tokhü Emong Bird Count’ is an effort to promote and encourage the conservation of birds in their natural habitat.
- This event is being organised in collaboration with the Wokha Forest Division and the Divisional Management Unit, Nagaland Forest Management Project (NFMP), Wokha, and Bird Count India.
- The event is being held during the Tokhü Emong post-harvest festival of the Lotha Nagas to spread awareness about Nagaland’s bird diversity.
BANKING & FINANCE
ADB, GreenCell Sign $40 Million Financing for Safer E-Buses in India, Especially for Women Commuters
The Asian Development Bank (ADB) signed a $40 million financing package with GreenCell Express Private Limited (GEPL) to develop 255 electric battery-powered buses with a focus on women safety.
- These e-buses are estimated to serve five million people a year on 56 intercity routes in India.
- They include security features like panic buttons connected to command controls for immediate response, cameras, tracking. Also, training programs will be held for bus drivers and cabin hosts on safety protocols focused on women passengers.Overall, the project will reduce emissions by 14,780 tons a year.
BUSINESS & ECONOMY
Russia becomes India’s top oil supplier in October
Russia became India’s largest oil supplier in October, surpassing traditional top sellers Saudi Arabia and Iraq by supplying an average of 9.35 lakh barrels per day (bpd) of crude oil last month, according to data from energy cargo tracker Vortexa.
- Russian oil accounted for 22 per cent of India’s total crude imports in October as against 20.5 per cent from Iraq and 16 per cent from Saudi Arabia. Russian oil made up for 0.2 per cent of total crude imports in the year ended March 31, 2022.
Suryakumar Yadav becomes 1st Indian player to score 1,000 T20I runs in a calendar year
Star Indian batter Suryakumar Yadav became the first Indian player to score 1,000 T20 International runs in a calendar year. The batter accomplished this feat in his side’s final Super 12 stage match against Zimbabwe at Melbourne.
- In the match, Suryakumar put his perfect finishing touches to make sure India finished their innings on a high.
- He scored 61 not out of just 25 balls, consisting of six fours and four sixes. In 28 innings this year, Suryakumar has scored 1,026 runs at an average of 44.60.
Virat Kohli and Nida Dar named as ICC Player of the Month award for October 2022
Team India batting maverick Virat Kohli was named Men’s Player of the Month by the International Cricket Council. Kohli has been in tremendous form in the ongoing T20 World Cup with 246 runs in 5 matches which includes three half-centuries. He is the leading-run getter in the tournament so far.
- India have entered the semifinal of the T20 WC and are looking to bring the trophy back which they won during the inaugural edition in 2007. Kohli, who recently turned 34, is all inspired to help his team clinch the coveted title.
Centre appoints Justice Rituraj Awasthi as Chairperson, Law Commission of India
Justice Ritu Raj Awasthi, Retired Chief Justice, Karnataka High Court assumed charge as Chairperson, Law Commission of India along with Justice K T Sankaran, Retired Judge, Kerala High Court as Member and M Karunanithi, Advocate, Madurai, Tamil Nadu as part-time member.
- The Commission’s function is to research and advise the Government of India on legal reform, composed of legal experts, and headed by a retired judge. The commission is established for a fixed tenure and works as an advisory body to the Ministry of Law and Justice.
Centre appoints non-executive Chairman in four Public Sector Banks
Non Executive Chairman has been appointed on the Boards of four Public Sector Banks — Canara Bank, Punjab National Bank (PNB), Union Bank of India and Punjab & Sind Bank (PSB) respectively following approval given by the Appointments Committee of the Cabinet (ACC).
- Vijay Srirangam has been appointed as part-time Non-Official Director as well as Non-Executive Chairman of Canara Bank for three years,
- K G Ananthakrishnan has been appointed as part-time Non-Official Director as well as Non-Executive Chairman of Punjab National Bank for a term of three years.
- Srinivasan Varadarajan has been appointed as part-time Non-Official Director as well as Non-Executive Chairman of Union Bank of India for a term of three years, according to an order issued by the Department of Personnel & Training.
- The Centre has also appointed Charan Singh as a part-time Non-Official Director as well as Non-Executive Chairman of Punjab & Sind Bank for a term of two years.
Reliance India’s best employer; in top 20 worldwide: Forbes
Reliance Industries, the country’s largest company by revenues, profits and market value, is India’s best employer and the world’s 20th best firm to work with, according to Forbes’ World’s Best Employers rankings 2022. The global ranking was topped by South Korean giant Samsung Electronics, followed by US giants Microsoft, IBM, Alphabet and Apple.
- US companies occupy rankings from 2nd to 12th , followed by German automaker BMW Group at 13th. The world’s largest online retailer Amazon is ranked 14th in the list and French giant Decathlon is at 15th rank.
- Oil-to-telecom-to-retail conglomerate Reliance, with 2,30,000 employees, is ranked 20th – the highest ranked Indian firm. It is ranked above Mercedes-Benz of Germany, US beverage maker Coca-Cola, Japanese auto giants Honda and Yamaha, and Saudi Aramco.
- There is no Indian company other than Reliance in the top 100. HDFC Bank is ranked 137th. Bajaj (173rd), Aditya Birla Group (240th), Hero Motocorp (333rd), Larsen & Toubro (354th), ICICI Bank (365th), HCL Technologies (455th), State Bank of India (499th), Adani Enterprises (547th) and Infosys (668th) are the other companies on the list.
BOOKS & AUTHORS
MoS Rajiv Chandrashekhar releases Two books on achievements and legacy of PM Modi
Two books on the achievements and legacy of Prime Minister Narendra Modi were released by Minister of State for Skill Development and Entrepreneurship Rajiv Chandrashekhar in Dubai.
- These “Modi@20: Dreams Meet Delivery” and “Heartfelt: The Legacy of Faith”. The books were released at a programme of Vishwa Sadhbhavana, NID Foundation (Dubai chapter) to enhance and consolidate bonds of fraternity and solidarity among people in the US, Australia, and New Zealand.