Daily Current Affairs 9 October 2019 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
Jaishankar inaugurates tele-education, tele-medicine projects for African countries
External Affairs Minister (EAM) S Jaishankar inaugurated tele-education and tele-medicine project for African countries.
- The EAM inaugurated e-VidyaBharti and e-ArogyaBharti (tele-education and tele-medicine project) for African countries on the occasion of the 55th Anniversary of India’s flagship capacity building programme – Indian Technical and Economic Cooperation (ITEC).
CBDT launches Faceless e-Assessment scheme
The Central Board of Direct Taxes has launched “Faceless e-Assessment scheme” that eliminates physical interface between an assessing officer and an assessee. They also inaugurated the National e-Assessment Centre (NeAC).
- The “Faceless e-assessment scheme” is expected to bring in a “paradigm shift” in taxation by eliminating human interface in the income tax assessment system.
1st Day Care Recreation Centre inaugurated for senior citizens in Leh
The first Government-sponsored and operated day-care cum recreation centre for senior citizens has been inaugurated in Leh.
- The day care Centre will provide a raft of medical facilities including geriatric care, health consultations and check-ups, physiotherapy as well legal service the senior citizens would require on various legal issues.
India slips 10 places to 68th on global competitiveness index
India has moved down 10 places to rank 68th on the annual Global Competitiveness Index, largely due to improvements witnessed by several other economies.
- Singapore, meanwhile, has replaced the US as the world’s most competitive economy.
- The annual Global Competitiveness Index is compiled by the Geneva-based World Economic Forum (WEF).
BUSINESS & ECONOMY
Reliance MF renamed as “Nippon India Mutual Fund”
Reliance Mutual Fund has been renamed as “Nippon India Mutual Fund”. The organization was renamed following the purchase of 75% stake in Reliance Nippon Life Asset Management by Nippon Life Insurance.
- Nippon India Mutual Fund has become the largest foreign-owned Asset Management Company in India. Sundeep Sikka will continue to lead company as the CEO.
Fintech start-up Shubh Loans gets NBFC licence from RBI
Fintech start-up Shubh Loans has received a licence from the Reserve Bank of India to set up a non-banking financial company.
- The company said the licence has been received through the subsidiary — Ekagrata — of its parent company Datasigns Technologies.
BSE joins hands with Ficci to enhance MSME and start-up environment
To enhance MSME and startup environment, leading stock exchange BSE in association with Ficci organised a brainstorming session to identify gaps in the existing policies and make suggestions for robust policies.
India maintain second spot in ICC Women’s ODI rankings, placed fifth in T20Is; Australia grab top spot
India not only maintained their second position but also increased the lead over England in the latest ICC women’s ODI rankings.
- The Indian women’s team, led by Mithali Raj, with 125 points, has widened their gap over England (122) from one to three points.
- In the T20I rankings, India are placed at the fifth position.
- Australia‘s consistent performances have ensured a tight grasp on the top spots of both women’s ODI and T20I rankings tables.
Simone Biles wins 15th World Gymnastics Championships Title
US gymnastics star Simone Biles clinched a record-extending 15th world championship gold medal as the Americans won the women’s team title in Stuttgart.
- Biles, 22, collected her 21st medal at the championships to become the most decorated women’s gymnast.
Bastian Schweinsteiger announces retirement from football
The former Bayern Munich, Germany and Manchester United midfielder Bastian Schweinsteiger has announced his retirement from football at the age of 35.
The Nobel Prize in Chemistry 2019
The Nobel Prize in Chemistry 2019 was awarded jointly to John B. Goodenough, M. Stanley Whittingham and Akira Yoshino “for the development of lithium-ion batteries.”
“Spirit Of Kerala” wins People’s Choice Award
Short film from Kerala “Spirit Of Kerala” has won the People’s Choice Award at the recently concluded My Rode Reel film competition.
- The short film is based on a boat race and directed by Arun Joseph. My Rode Reel film competition is touted as the ‘world’s largest short film competition’.
Salford University honours Asha Bhosle with doctorate degree
Ace singer Asha Bhosle has been conferred with an honorary doctorate by the University of Salford in Greater Manchester, England.