Daily Current Affairs 9 September 2021 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
Culture Minister G Kishan Reddy launches programme ‘Bujurgon ki Baat-Desh Ke Saath’
Culture Minister G Kishan Reddy launched a programme Bujurgon ki Baat-Desh Ke Saath in New Delhi.
- The programme aims at enhancing the interaction between the youth and the elder people who are 95 years and above and have spent around 18 years in India before independence.
- The video of the interaction should preferably be kept below 60 seconds and can be uploaded at www.rashtragaan.in.
Gujarat rolls out ‘Vatan Prem Yojana’ for rural development
Gujaratis settled outside India and looking to donate for development works in their native villages will now get 40 per cent financial support from the Gujarat government.
- Under the newly launched ‘Vatan Prem Yojana’, the Gujarat government encourages donations from non-resident Indians (NRIs) with Gujarati origins to fund development projects such as school classroom renovations, public infrastructure works such as surveillance systems, drainage, water recycling, sports complex among others.
- Under this scheme, the State government looks to create development projects worth ₹1000 crore by December 2022.”
Karnataka govt to set up spices park in Chikkamagaluru
The Karnataka government has decided to establish a Spices Park at Ambale in Chikkamagaluru district, and with this, a long-pending demand of Malnad region is set to be fulfilled.
- The Karnataka Industrial Areas Development Board (KIADB) will develop the facility on a 10-acre plot at the earliest, Industries Minister Murugesh R Nirani said.
- Karnataka is the largest producer of spices in India. Turmeric, chilli, black pepper, small cardamom, curry leaves, tamarind, herbal spices, cloves, nutmeg, coriander etc. are produced in abundance in the state.
Cabinet approves Rs 10,683 cr PLI scheme for textile sector
The Union Cabinet approved the production-linked incentive (PLI) scheme for textiles for a budgetary outlay of Rs 10,683 crore to boost domestic manufacturing of man-made fibres (MMF), garments, and technical textiles.
- Incentives worth Rs 10,683 crore will be provided over five years for manufacturing these products.
- The scheme is focused at expanding MMFs and technical textiles’ value chain and will help India regain its dominant status in the global textile trade, at a time when India’s share of global exports has gradually declined over the years.
BANKING & FINANCE
Karnataka Bank launches all-in-one swiping machine for MSME customers
Private sector lender Karnataka Bank launched WisePOSGo, a point of sales swiping machine that processes business payments, in collaboration with Mswipe Technologies for its merchant customers.
- This device is an all-in-one swiping machine loaded with advanced features. This connected payment solutions device lets the merchants make calls as well as process payments and is designed keeping in mind the specific cost-centric needs of bank’s MSME customers.
- CThe device is available at an affordable cost without any monthly rental charges.
Bank of India ties-up with MAS Financial Services for co-lending
State-owned Bank of India (BOI) said it has entered into a co-lending arrangement with MAS Financial Services for MSME loans.The tie-up comes on the occasion of the bank’s 116th Foundation Day.
- The bank marked the special occasion by celebrating ‘Azadi Ka Amrit Mahotsav’ and pledged to continue serving the nation and its citizens.
- On the occasion, the bank unveiled various new schemes for farmers and undertook several initiatives, such as tree plantation, extending financial help to 8,718 girl children towards their education and customer outreach programmes, among others.
HDFC Bank signs MoU with NSIC to offer credit support to MSMEs
To strengthen its credit facility to MSMEs, HDFC Bank has signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with National Small Industries Corporation (NSIC) to offer credit support to MSMEs across the country.
- Under the MoU, HDFC Bank will provide MSMEs with set of specially tailored schemes to enhance their competitiveness.
- Further, under this financing arrangement HDFC Bank branches will extend support to MSME projects in the areas they are located or other important industrial sectors across the country.
Visa and Innoviti develop stored value debit card for payments without connectivity
Debit cardholders may soon be able to request their bank for a Visa card that allows them to store up to Rs 2,000 in the chip itself, enabling transactions to take place without connectivity.
- A proof of concept for the stored value card for offline payments has already been established by Visa in partnership with payment solutions firm Innoviti.
- The PoC has been executed in partnership with Yes Bank and Axis Bank. Stored value cards are different from prepaid cards where authorisation takes place on the network cloud.
First Policy Insurance Brokers acquires Amicus Insurance Brokers
India-based First Policy Insurance Brokers has completed the acquisition of Amicus Insurance Brokers in a bid to augment its market position.
- The insurance broker had received in-principle approval for the merger from the Insurance Regulatory and Development Association of India (IRDAI) in the first week of August 2021.
SBM Bank partners with OneCard to launch mobile-based credit card
SBM Bank said it has partnered with fintech player OneCard to launch a mobile-based credit card.
- With this partnership, the bank said it aims to cater to the tech-savvy populace who have embraced digital as a natural way of life.
- OneCard will leverage Visa’s technology and global acceptance in this co-branded credit card offering through an app, SBM Bank said.
India, ADB sign 300 mn dollar loan to expand rural connectivity in Maharashtra
Indian government and the Asian Development Bank (ADB) have signed a 300 million dollar loan as additional financing to scale up improvement of rural connectivity to help boost rural economy in Maharashtra.
- The additional financing for the ongoing Maharashtra Rural Connectivity Improvement Project will help improve an additional 1,100 rural roads and 230 bridges for a total length of 2,900 kilometers in 34 districts
India wraps up Tokyo Paralympic games with largest-ever haul of 19 medals
Japan bid adieu to Paralympic Games with a glittering closing ceremony at the Olympic Stadium in Tokyo. The concepts for the Closing Ceremony were “Harmonious Cacophony” and “Moving Forward”. The closing ceremony conveys that Tokyo is “A City Where Differences Shine”.
- Shooter Avani Lekhara was the flag bearer of Indian contingent. The 19-year-old trailblazer had two podium finishes in Tokyo while Tek Chand was the flag bearer at the opening ceremony.
- India wrapped up their campaign at the Tokyo Paralympics with the largest-ever haul of 19 medals, helped them sign off 24th in the overall tally with China, Great Britain and United States leading the top 3 spots. This year, the Indian contingent won five gold, eight silver and six bronze. In all, 54 came to Tokyo and 17 of them left with medals.
Olympic medal winners of India 2020:
- Avani Lakhera, Shooting (Gold and Bronze)
- Sumit Antil, Javelin Thrower, Gold
- Manish Narwal, Shooting, Gold
- Pramod Bhagat, Badminton, Gold
- Krishna Nagar, Badminton, Gold
- Bhavinaben Patel, Table Tennis, Silver
- Nishad Kumar, High Jump, Silver
- Yogesh Kathuniya, Discus Thrower, Silver
- Devendra Jhajharia, Javelin Thrower, Silver
- Mariyappan Thangavelu, Long Jump, Silver
- Singhraj Adhana, Shooter, Silver and Bronze
- Praveen Kumar, High Jump, Silver
- Suhas Yathiraj, Badminton, Silver
- Sunder Singh Gurjar, Javelin Throw, Bronze
- Sharad Kumar, High jump, Bronze
- Harvinder Singh, Archery, Bronze
- Manoj Sarkar, Badminton, Bronze
Piyush Goyal appointed as India’s Sherpa for G20
Commerce and Industry Minister Piyush Goyal has been appointed as India’s Sherpa for the G20 which is an influential grouping that brings together the world’s major economies.
- The next G20 Summit is scheduled to take place from 30th to 31st of next month under Italian Presidency. India will be holding the G20 Presidency from 1st December 2022 and will convene the G20 Leaders’ Summit in 2023 for the first time.
- India will be part of the G20 Troika (preceding, current, and incoming G20 Presidencies) from 1st of December this year till 30th November 2024.
Uttarakhand Governor Baby Rani Maurya resigns from the Post
Uttarakhand Governor Baby Rani Maurya has resigned from the Post.
- Mrs. Maurya sent her resignation to President. She was sworn in as the Governor of Uttarakhand on August 26, 2018.
Taliban announces caretaker govt in Afghanistan; Mullah Hasan Akhund to be acting PM
The Taliban group has announced its caretaker government in Afghanistan. The all-male interim cabinet will be headed by Mullah Hasan Akhund as acting Prime Minister.
- Akhund belongs to Kandahar and led the group’s leadership council, which directed insurgent attacks against the United States and allied forces during nearly 20 years of war.
- Reclusive Taliban chief Hibatullah Akhundzada will be the Supreme leader of the government.
Delhi Airport wins CII National Awards of “National Energy Leader” & “Excellent Energy Efficient Unit” 2021
GMR led Delhi International Airport Limited (DIAL) has won the prestigious awards of CII ‘National Energy Leader’ and ‘Excellent Energy Efficient Unit’ at the 22nd National Award ceremony for ‘Excellence in Energy Management’ organised by the Confederation of Indian Industry (CII) – Green Business Centre (GBC) during the 22nd edition of ‘Energy Efficiency Summit’, Virtual Conference & Exposition on Energy Efficiency held from 24 – 27 August 2021.
- The objective of these awards is to recognize the companies engaged in energy-efficiency initiatives that adopt best practices and technological advancement in their daily operations.
- This award is a testimony of our focus and dedication towards improving energy efficiency and promote sustainable development at Delhi Airport.
SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY
China successfully launches new optical remote-sensing satellite
China launched the 24th Gaofen-series Earth-observation satellite in a bid to monitor environmental protection efforts and boost its natural resources surveillance. The satellite was launched from the Taiyuan Satellite Launch Center in Shanxi province on a Long March 4C carrier rocket.
- The satellite was successfully delivered into orbit marking the deployment of the 24th Gaofen-series spacecraft and the 387th flight of the Long March rocket fleet.
- Developed by the Shanghai Academy of Spaceflight Technology based on its SAST3000 satellite platform, the Gaofen 5-02 is equipped with hyperspectral observational devices tasked with monitoring air, water and environments.
- The satellite’s service will greatly strengthen the country’s environmental protection efforts, improve its natural resources surveillance, improve disaster prevention and relief work and boost climate change research.