Daily Current Affairs 9 January 2018 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
Harsh Vardhan dedicates first multi-petaflop supercomputer ‘Pratyush’ to nation
Union Minister of Earth Sciences Dr Harsh Vardhan dedicated India’s fastest and first multi-petaflops supercomputer to the nation in Pune.
- The supercomputer named as ‘Pratyush’ meaning the Sun, established at the Indian Institute of Tropical Meteorology (IITM), Pune, will be a national facility for improving weather and climate forecasts and services under the umbrella of the Ministry of Earth Sciences (MoES).
- It will help the country with better forecasts in terms of monsoon, extreme events, tsunamis, cyclones, earthquakes, air quality, lightning, fishing, hot and cold waves, flood and drought among others.
PM Modi inaugurated first PIO Parliamentary Conference
Prime Minister Narendra Modi inaugurated the first Persons of Indian Origin (PIO) Parliamentary Conference in the Pravasi Bharatiya Kendra in New Delhi. As many as 124 Members of Parliament and 17 mayors from 23 countries will participate in this conference.
- Every year, January 9 is celebrated as Pravasi Bharatiya Diwas (PBD), an annual celebratory day that marks the contribution of overseas persons of Indian origin (PIO) towards their homeland.
- This is the first PIO-Parliamentary Conference and is a way of reaching out to the Indian community overseas by the government.
Gujarat tops logistics performance index chart: Commerce ministry
Gujarat has topped a perception-based index of mobility of goods and efficiency of logistics chain, closely followed by Punjab and Andhra Pradesh.
- The state has been ranked the highest in the index, which is based on indicators such as infrastructure, services, safety of cargo, timeliness, track and trace, as per the new Logistics Ease Across Different States (LEADS) index developed by the commerce and industry ministry along with Deloitte.
In a First, Delhi Government Launches Common Card for Bus & Metro Rides
Delhi CM Arvind Kejriwal launched a common card for rides on public buses and the metro. Delhi is the first city in the country to have a common mobility card.
- The card, which will function like a debit card, will be operational in all DTC and cluster buses from April 2018.
Bihar government bans electronic cigarettes in state
Bihar government has banned manufacture, distribution, sale, purchase, display, and advertisement of electronic cigarettes in the state. Anyone violating the ban will attract a jail term of up to 3 years, the government notification stated.
- E-cigarettes are smoked through electronic nicotine delivery system, which uses liquid nicotine, propylene glycol, glycerine, and water among other substances.
BANKING & FINANCE
Ola partners ICICI Bank to offer integrated services
Cab-hailing app Ola has partnered with ICICI Bank to offer a range of integrated services to customers and driver-partners.
- As part of the tie-up, customers of ICICI Bank will be able to book Ola rides and pay the fare through the bank’s mobile banking platforms — ‘iMobile’ and ‘Pockets’.
- ICICI Bank will also offer a ‘Pay Direct’ card for Ola’s driver partners.
Aditya Mehta wins Kolkata Open
Asian Games medallist Aditya Mehta has clinched the Kolkata Open International Invitation Snooker Championship.
Yusuf Pathan suspended for 5 months for doping
Indian all-rounder Yusuf Pathan has been suspended for five months for failing a dope test during a domestic match last season.
- The Baroda all-rounder had inadvertently ingested a prohibited substance — Terbutaline, which can be commonly found in cough syrups.
Indian-origin businessman appointed WBCSD Chairman
Singapore-based Indian-origin businessman Sunny Verghese has been appointed as the Chairman of the Geneva-based World Business Council for Sustainable Development.
AR Rahman becomes the official brand ambassador of Sikkim
Music maestro AR Rahman has been named the official brand ambassador of Sikkim. The renowned Indian music producer will now be campaigning for Sikkim to attract tourists and business for the state.
Actor Soumitra Chatterjee will receive Legion of Honour award
Having honoured acclaimed actor Soumitra Chatterjee with the “Legion of Honour” which is the highest order of merit in France, the French government will confer the award to the legendary actor at the 42nd Kolkata Book Fair on January 30.