Daily Current Affairs 9 January 2021 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
Andhra Pradesh signs MoU with Cambridge University to improve English proficiency of teachers, students
A Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) was signed between the University of Cambridge and the Urban Development Department of Andhra Pradesh.
- As per the MoU, the University of Cambridge will provide training to teachers and students under the Municipal Department, in order to improve English language proficiency.
India to chair 3 important committees of UNSC
India took a tacit swipe at Pakistan for backing cross-border terrorism as it announced it would be chairing three key UN sanctions committees, includes Taliban Sanctions Committee, Counterterrorism Committee and the Libyan Sanctions Committee during 2021-22.
- The Taliban Sanctions Committee, also called the 1988 Sanctions Committee, has always been a high priority for India.
- India will also chair the Counterterrorism Committee in 2022, which coincides with the 75th Anniversary of India’s Independence.
- Libya Sanctions Committee, also called the 1970 Sanctions Committee, is a very important Subsidiary Body of the Council, which implements the sanctions regime, including a two-way arms embargo on Libya, an assets freeze, a travel ban, measures on illicit export of petroleum, etc.
BANKING & FINANCE
PNB collaborates with IIT Kanpur & FIRST to set up Fintech Innovation Centre
Punjab National Bank announced an alliance with IIT Kanpur and the Foundation for Innovation & Research in Science & Technology (FIRST) for establishing an innovation centre at the institute’s campus.
- Under this partnership, PNB and IIT Kanpur will set up a ‘Fintech Innovation Centre (FIC)’ as a vehicle to research and develop technological solutions to address challenges and explore opportunities in the BFSI space.
- The collaboration of technical prowess from IIT Kanpur and financial expertise of PNB make it an apt “Fin-Tech” partnership that will help build innovations and entrepreneurial excellence.
IDFC Mutual Fund unveils new investor awareness campaign #PaisonKoRokoMat
IDFC Mutual Fund announced the launch of its latest pan-India investor awareness campaign #PaisonKoRokoMat, nudging savers to become investors.
- With this new campaign, IDFC Mutual Fund aims to shift the conversation regarding wealth creation from the traditional to the contemporary.
- The central thought of the campaign #PaisonKoRokoMat draws inspiration from our lives where inertia is an impediment to our growth and sometimes reflects in the way we allocate our money.
Central Bank of India sign MOU with NABARD to manufacture sanitary pads in each district
Central Bank of India and NABFOUNDATION a subsidiary of NABARD, have signed an MOU for providing working capital finance to woman SHGs for making sanitary pads under the MY PAD MY RIGHT project.
- The project will provide a sustainable livelihood opportunity to over 14700 rural woman SHGmembers in 3000 villages across India.
- Through this programme woman will get to earn a living while also be taking care of basic menstrual hygiene.
SBI, Indian Oil Corporation launch co-branded RuPay debit card
State Bank of India (SBI) and Indian Oil Corporation (IOC) launched a co-branded contactless RuPay debit card.
- A customer, anywhere in the country, can get the card by visiting the SBI’s home branch. It is a contactless card and transactions up to Rs 5,000 can be paid for with just a tap.
- Using it, cardholders can avail fuel benefits and loyalty points worth 0.75 per cent against purchase of fuel at all retail outlets Indian Oil fuel stations. There is no monthly limit for purchasing the fuel.
BUSINESS & ECONOMY
Indian economy to rebound with 8.9% growth in FY22: IHS Markit
Indian economy is likely to rebound with an 8.9 per cent growth in the fiscal year beginning April 2021 after economic activity showed significant improvement in the last quarter, IHS Markit said.
- The Indian economy suffered a severe recession in 2020. The worst contraction occurred during the period from March until August, with the economy having shown a strong rebound in economic activity since September.
- The GDP contracted by a record 23.9 per cent in the April-June quarter following a national lockdown to prevent the spread of the coronavirus. The contraction came down to 7.5 per cent in the September quarter.
- During the fourth quarter of 2020, India’s industrial production and consumption expenditure have shown a rebound.
Flipkart signs MoU to set up Centre of Excellence in logistics skill
Flipkart, e-commerce marketplace company, has signed an memorandum of understanding with the Logistics Skill Sector Council (LSC), an organisation set up by the Ministry of Skill Development and Entrepreneurship (MSDE) through National Skill Development Corporation of India (NSDC) and Karnataka Skill Development Centre (KSDC).
- As part of the MoU, Flipkart has launched an industry-first Centre of Excellence to build a skilled and trained workforce for the fast-growing e-commerce industry in India.
- Upon successful completion of the training, candidates will be awarded certification under the National Skill Qualification Framework which is equivalent to an undergraduate degree.
Dell Technologies collaborates With MoHFW and Tata Trusts to launch new Mobile App for Non-Communicable Diseases Across India
Dell Technologies in collaboration with Ministry of Health and Family Welfare (MoHFW) and Tata Trusts announced they have developed a mobile application for the management of non-communicable diseases (NCDs) at the government primary health centres (PHCs) across the country.
- The mobile app will strengthen the existing NCD IT system’s suite of six applications for accredited social health activists (ASHAs), auxiliary nurse midwifes (ANMs), doctors, programme managers and health officials in the government.
SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY
Dr Harsh Vardhan dedicates coastal research vessel to Nation at Chennai Port Trust
Union Minister for Ocean Technology Dr Harsh Vardhan dedicated Sagar Anveshika a coastal research vessel to the Nation at the Chennai Port Trust.
- SAGAR ANVESHIKA, a very complex platform which will enable scientists to conduct various oceanographic research missions aboard, will house state of the art laboratories equipped with modern scientific instruments.
- It is a coastal research vessel for strengthening scientific research about various issues inside the ocean.
Former Gujarat Chief Minister Madhavsinh Solanki passes away
Former Chief Minister of Gujarat and former Union Minister Madhavsinh Solanki passed away in Gandhinagar. He was 94.
- Solanki had started his career as a journalist, then as an advocate and then entered politics.
- A veteran Congress leader and the former External Affairs Minister Mr. Solanki had served four terms as Chief Minister of Gujarat. He was elected to Rajya Sabha twice and served as External Affairs Minister.
- Solanki had also been in the limeLight for the apparent Kshatriya Harijan Aadivasi Muslim (KHAM) theory for appeasement politics.
Veteran Indian Fashion Designer Satya Paul passes away
Veteran fashion designer and the founder of the acclaimed Indian clothing brand, Satya Paul passed away at an age of 78 at the Isha Yoga Centre in Coimbatore.
- Satya Paul launched the first saree boutique in India, L’Affaire, in 1980. In 1986, he launched India’s first designer label, under the brand ‘Satya Paul’, which has now become one of the premier brands in the country.
Veteran Professor Chitra Ghosh & Niece of Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose passes away
Chitra Ghosh, the youngest daughter of Sarat Chandra Bose and niece of Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose, passed away. She was 90.
- Ghosh was in the Education Service of the Government of West Bengal since the beginning of her teaching career. She had been the Head of the Department of Political Science at Lady Brabourne College in Kolkata. She was also a professor of Social and Political History, at the Netaji Institute for Asian Studies in Kolkata.
- Ghosh authored many books include Mother of my Heart: The Story of Bivabati Bose, Women Movement Politics in Bengal, A Daughter Remembers: Life and Times of Sarat Chandra Bose, and Opening the Closed Windows, to name a few.
Tamil writer A Madhavan passes away
Tamil writer A Madhavan passed away due to age-related illness. He was 87.
- The author had an expansive literary career, and had won the Sahitya Akademi Award 2015 for his collection of short stories, Ilakkiya Chuvadukal. He was additionally a recipient of Kalai Mamani Award in 2009, the very best recognition bestowed on writers and artists by the Tamil Nadu Authorities.
- He translated Malayalam writer P.K. Balakrishnan’s Ini Njan Urangatte, the story of Karna through the eyes of Draupadi, in Tamil as Ini Naan Urankattum and was published by the Sahitya Akademi. His novel Punalum Manalum was translated into English as On A River’s Bank.