PM Modi ranked 9th among world’s most powerful people by Forbes
Prime Minister Narendra Modi has been ranked among the top 10 most powerful people in the world by Forbes in a list that has been topped by Russian President Vladimir Putin for a fourth straight year and had US President-elect Donald Trump in the second place.
- Modi ranks 9th on the Forbes list of 74 of the World’s Most Powerful People.
Centre sanctions Rs 30 crore for solar cities programme
Funds worth over Rs 30 crore have been sanctioned to 21 states and union territories under the solar cities development programme
Supreme Court orders closure of all liquor shops along national, state highways from April 1
A bench led by Chief Justice of India T S Thakur directed the Central and state governments to “cease and desist” from issuing liquor licenses and said that no new license for a vend along highways shall be granted henceforth.
- The bench set a deadline of April 1, 2017 for expiry of all existing licences and directed the authorities to ensure strict compliance with its order.
Listen ‘Mahabharata’ on AIR from Dec 19
B R Chopra’s famed teleserial ‘Mahabharata’, which created television history is set to be broadcast in its radio avatar on the All India Radio (AIR) from December 19.
ISKCON, Mayapur organises Ganga Swacch Abhiyan
As a part of its Golden Jubilee celebrations, devotees of the ISKCON Mayapur have organised ‘Ganga Swacch Abhiyan’ (Clean Ganga drive).
Mumbai airport becomes India’s first to introduce self bag-drop facility
The Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj International airport in Mumbai became India’s first airport to introduce self bag drop units.
Kochi to get India’s first transgender school
Sahaj International School in Kochi will be the first residential transgender school in the country.
- The school will initially accommodate 10 transgender children, who will study under the National Open School system.
- The school will be inaugurated on December 30 by transgender rights activist and artist Kalki Subramaniam.
Children in Haryana schools to get 200 gms milk
Children in schools and anganwadis under Haryana government would get 200 grams of milk three days a week with effect from April next year.
Reliance Jio to soon provide free Wi-Fi services at government colleges in Haryana
Though, the data available for free use is restricted to just 20MB per day.
Cisco to help develop IoT innovation hub, smart city in Gujarat
To help accelerate the digital transformation of Gujarat, global networking giant Cisco announced to explore setting up an Internet of Things (IoT) Innovation Hub and deliver a smart city in the state.
Majuli to be country’s first ever carbon neutral district
Assam government has initiated a project to make river island Majuli the country’s first ever Carbon Neutral district by 2020.
NITI Aayog announces cash awards worth Rs 340 crore to push digital payments
To push digital transactions, the government launched two schemes, ‘Lucky Grahak Yojna’ and ‘Digi Dhan Yojna’, for consumers and merchants.
- Lucky Grahak Yojna would reward consumers through a daily, as well as a weekly, draw on transactions worth Rs 50 to Rs 3,000 with maximum reward up to Rs 1 lakh.
- Digi Dhan Yojna, aimed at merchants, would have a maximum reward of Rs 50,000.
Airtel Payments Bank launches pilot services in southern states
Airtel Payments Bank launched its pilot services across in Karnataka, Andhra Pradesh and Telangana the southern market.
- Airtel Payments Bank, a subsidiary of the country’s leading mobile phone operator Bharti Airtel, rolled out pilot services across 10,000 Airtel retail outlets in Rajasthan in November.
Paytm launches ‘Each one, teach one’ to increase digital inclusion
Paytm has announced a program to increase the digital inclusion in the country wherein it is calling upon consumers and merchants across India to teach others on how to use Paytm to pay and accept money.
- The campaign is aimed at transforming user behavior and further accelerating the country’s ongoing shift from cash to digital payments.
- As a part of the drive, Paytm has also announced an incentive including Rs. one crore grand prize along with additional prizes like motorcycles, smartphones, laptops and other exciting gifts.
- All users transacting between 1st December 2016 and 31st March 2017 are eligible to win these prizes.
India, ASEAN set target of $100 billion trade to be achieved by 2020
India and ASEAN have set a target of trading at 100 billion dollar to be achieved by 2020. Currently the trade between ASEAN and India is 57 billion dollars.
Rio de Janeiro gets Unesco world heritage status
Rio de Janeiro, nicknamed the Marvellous City, officially entered the UN’s list of world heritage sites in recognition of its soaring granite cliffs, urban rainforest and beaches.
Rahul Shivshankar appointed Editor-in-Chief of Times Now
TV journalist Rahul Shivshankar has been appointed Chief Editor at English news channel Times Now.
Nobel prize winner economist Thomas Schelling dies at 95
Bewitched, Titanic actor Bernard Fox dies at 89
Bernard Fox, best known for his roles on the ABC series Bewitched and James Cameron’s Oscar-winning picture Titanic”, has passed away.