Government allows use of old notes for tax payment under PMGKY
The government allowed use of junked Rs 500 and Rs 1,000 notes till December 30 for paying tax on disclosures made under the tax evasion amnesty scheme, Pradhan Mantri Garib Kalyan Yojana (PMGKY) 2016.
Govt mulls merging cyber tribunal with TDSAT
As part of plans to merge some of the tribunals into larger entities to avoid identical functions, the government is looking to converge the Cyber Appellate Tribunal (CyAT) and Disputes Settlement and Appellate Tribunal (TDSAT).
- Department of Telecom to launch portal on mobile radiation
- Department of Telecom (DoT) will launch a portal ‘Tarang Sanchar’ that will help users get checked the radiation level of mobile towers and transmitters across the country in a month.
- In order to get radiation of a particular tower tested, the applicant will have to pay a fee of Rs 5,000.
- “Status of the towers will be available on the portal which will be launched in a month.
Piyush Goyal to launch GARV-II app to ensure power access to all
To ensure transparency in implementation of rural electrification programme, the Power Ministry will launch a new app, GARV-II, to provide real time data of all six lakh villages of the country.
Census: More married women go out for work than unmarried women
According to the 2011 Census data, released recently, in the child-bearing age group, 41 per cent married women go out for work in comparison to 27 per cent of unmarried women.
- Half of the married women in rural areas work while in urban areas just 22 per cent go out for jobs.
PM Modi inaugurates country’s first Indian Institute of Skills in Kanpur
Aimed at making India the Skill Capital of the World, Prime Minister Narendra Modi laid foundation stone of the country’s first Indian Institute of Skills (IIS).
- The IIS was conceptualised by Modi during his visit to Singapore’s Institute of Technical Education.
- The institute is being opened by the Skill Development Ministry in partnership with the Institute of Technical Education, Singapore.
- The Ministry has decided to have six such institutes.
- The Prime Minister also inaugurated the Kaushal Pradarshini (Skill Exhibition) for the youth of Uttar Pradesh.
- App to help commuters spot facilities at railway stations
- BY early next year, railway commuters would not have to worry about finding the ‘east’ or the ‘west’ of the station or getting themselves directed to any of the facilities present.
- With a mobile application named ‘Disha’ being developed, commuters on the Western Railway will be well informed about the passenger amenities at the station, prominent places around and general information about the station.
- The app can function in offline mode, track commuter movement through GPS.
Pay Rs 10,000 fine for throwing waste in public place: NGT
Municipal solid waste (MSW) is one of the most serious pollutants in the country specially in Delhi, the National Green Tribunal has said while announcing a fine of Rs 10,000 on those found throwing waste at public places.
EPFO lowers interest rate on Employees Provident Fund to 8.65 per cent for FY17
The Central Board of Trustees (CBT) of Employees’ Provident Fund Organisation (EPFO) has moved to lower the interest rate for its nearly 17 crore subscribers to 8.65 per cent in 2016-17 from 8.8 per cent last fiscal. This is the lowest rate of interest in four years.
Assam signs Priyanka Chopra as tourism brand ambassador for 2 years.
RBI to issue new Rs 500 note in new series with inset letter R
The Reserve Bank of India said it is issuing a new batch of Rs 500 notes in Mahatma Gandhi (New) series with the inset letter R in both the number panels.
Ukraine nationalizes country’s largest bank
Ukraine has nationalised the country’s biggest bank, PrivatBank in a bid to avert a financial meltdown in the war-scarred former Soviet state. The government moved to take over PrivatBank after months of rumours that the lender was heavily burdened by bad debts.
Ola to invest Rs 100 crore over 3 years for skill development
Transportation aggregator Ola said it will invest Rs 100 crore for addition and skilling of one lakh drivers to its platform over the next three years.
- Ola has signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with National Skill Development Corporation (NSDC) for training, skill development and empowerment of these driver partners.
Yatra Online listed on Nasdaq
Online travel firm Yatra Online Inc] listed on the American stock exchange, Nasdaq, under the ticker symbol “YTRA” with effect from December 19, 2016.
World’s first cloned goat with Cashmere wool born in China
Colombian president receives ‘Catholic Nobel’ for FARC deal
Colombian President Juan Manuel Santos received the Lampara peace prize, the “Catholic Nobel”, for his efforts to reach a deal with his country’s Marxist FARC rebels.
Paris opens ‘world’s largest non-permanent indoor ice rink’
A 2,700-square-meter skating space, which is being considered the world’s largest non-permanent indoor ice rink, recently opened at the Grand Palais in Paris.
India-Nepal Folk Crafts Festival opens
The India-Nepal Folk Crafts Festival (INCF), an initiative of South Asia Foundation (SAF) to promote cultural exchanges between the two neighbours, began in Kathmandu.
Puerto Rico’s Stephanie Del Valle wins Miss World 2016 title
Varun Bhatt of Rajasthan Patrika, The Week win IPI-India Award
The International Press Institute’s (IPI) India Award for Excellence in Journalism, 2016 has been awarded jointly to Varun Bhatt of Rajasthan Patrika and The Week for outstanding journalistic work done during 2015.
Scientists discover 163 new species in Greater Mekong region
A rainbow-headed snake and a dragon-like lizard are among 163 new species that scientists recently discovered in the Greater Mekong region in South-East Asia.
Amazon launches e-wallet for cashless transactions
Amazon India has launched its online wallet ‘Amazon Pay Balance’, in a bid to increase cashless transactions.
- Amazon Pay Balance will help customers store balances for essential items and solves the pain point of tendering exact amount of cash at the time of delivery.
Atletico de Kolkata beat Kerala Blasters 4-3 on penalties to win ISL 2016
Karun Nair becomes second Indian to score triple ton
Karun Nair became the second Indian to score a triple ton in Test cricket as the smashed unbeaten 303 runs off just 381 balls and powered India to their highest ever team total in Tests.
- President Pranab Mukherjee and Prime Minister Narendra Modi have congratulated cricketer Karun Nair for his triple century against England.
- The first one is Virender Sehwag with 319 runs.
Andy Murray caps spectacular 2016 with record third BBC Award
Andy Murray has been voted BBC Sports Personality of the Year for a record third time after winning the Wimbledon and Olympic singles titles in 2016 and also finishing the season as the world’s top-ranked player.
- Murray won the domestic award in 2013 and ’15, too.
Environmentalist Anupam Mishra passed away
Noted Gandhian, journalist, environmentalist, and water conservationist Anupam Mishra passed away at the age of 68 at the All India Institute for Medical Sciences (AIIMS), New Delhi