India’s GVA growth to be at 6.6 per cent in 2016-17, says rating agency Icra
India’s gross value added growth is likely to be at 6.6 per cent in 2016-17 as economic activity will take more time to normalise following the government’s move to demonetise high-value notes.
Country’s 1st 2G ethanol bio-refinery to be set up at Bhatinda
India’s first 2G (second generation) ethanol bio-refinery will be set up by Hindustan Petroleum Corp Ltd (HPCL) at Bhatinda in Punjab at a cost of Rs 600 crore.
Consumer Affairs Department starts online community platform
The Department of Consumer Affairs initiated its “Connected Consumers” online citizen community via LocalCircles to address consumers’ issues and grievances.
- During the soft rollout phase, over 35,000 active consumers from across India have already joined the platform and over 100,000 issues on various consumer issues like shelf-life, expired products, price manipulation of fruits and vegetables, grievances in the telecom sector and the like
Textiles Ministry launches online portal ‘JUTE-SMART’ On occasion of Good Governance Day
On the occasion of Good Governance Day, Ministry of Textiles launched JUTE-SMART’ an online portal in New Delhi to facilitate purchase of Jute bags from the Jute industry by the state procurement agencies.
Assam launches health insurance scheme Atal-Amrit Abhiyan
Assam’s BJP led government on Sunday rolled out ‘Atal-Amrit Abhiyan’ health insurance scheme which will provide coverage against several critical illnesses.
- Launched to mark the 92nd birthday of former prime minister Atal Bihari Vajpayee, the scheme will offer coverage against 437 illnesses in six disease groups, namely, cardiovascular, cancer, kidney, neo-natal, neurological conditions and burns.
Haryana proposes compulsory screening of Haryanvi films in all cinema halls now
Following in the footsteps of its Punjab counterpart, the Haryana government has mooted a proposal for compulsory screening of Haryanvi films in all cinema halls. A discussion on this was held at a meeting of government officials and owners of cinema halls
Haryana connects 100 villages with Wi-Fi services
Heading towards a digital era, Haryana government on Sunday connected 100 villages with Wi-Fi services and decided to rename all common service centres (CSCs) opened in urban and rural areas as well as E-disha centres as “Atal Seva Kendras” at district headquarters
IDFC Bank launches aadhaar-linked cashless merchant solution
IDFC Bank announced the nation-wide launch of aadhaar-linked cashless merchant solution that uses a retailers’ smartphone to enable digital payments.
- Aadhaar Pay, launched by the government, has been developed by IDFC Bank in association with Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI) and the National Payments Corporation of India (NPCI)
Sand artiste creates 1,000 Santa Claus sculptures
With 1,000 Santa Clauses, Sudarsan Pattnaik was eyeing to break his 2012 Limca Book record of sculpturing 500 sand Santa Clauses.
- Internationally acclaimed sand artist Sudarsan Pattnaik said that creation of 1,000 sand sculptures of Santa Claus by him and his students at Puri sea beach on the eve of Christmas has become a record to feature in Limca Book of Records.
Shah Rukh Khan to be conferred honorary doctorate by Hyderabad-based varsity
Bollywood superstar Shah Rukh Khan is slated to be conferred with honorary doctorate by the Delhi-based Maulana Azad National Urdu University.
Virat Kohli tops the list of Lord’s Top 20 Players of 2016
Indian Test skipper Virat Kohli has featured on top of the Lord’s Cricket Ground’s Top 20 Players of 2016.
ICC approves Greater Noida’s SVSP Cricket Stadium
The BCCI confirmed that the ICC has approved Greater Noida’s Shaheed Vijay Singh Pathik Cricket Stadium for staging international matches involving full members teams of the international body.
Dinanath Bhargava who sketched national emblem died
Dinanath Bhargava, a co-artist in the team that sketched the national emblem ‘Lion Capital of Ashoka’ and decorated the pages of the Constitution’s manuscript, died at the age of 89 in Indore
Sri Lanka claims world’s tallest artificial Christmas tree
Sri Lanka: Sri Lanka unveiled a towering Christmas tree in capital Colombo, claiming to have surpassed the world record despite constructions delays and a shorter-than-planned finished product.
Pakistani Hindus can register for Indian citizenship with fee as low as Rs 100
The registration fees for Hindus and other minority community people from three neighbouring countries — including Pakistan — as Indian citizens have been drastically reduced to as low as Rs 100 from Rs 15,000.
- In a gazette notification, the home ministry said the new rules will be applicable to minority communities — Hindus, Sikhs, Buddhists, Jains, Parsis and Christians — from Pakistan, Afghanistan, Bangladesh and living in India on long term visa.
Pakistan releases 220 Indian fishermen
Pakistan released 220 Indian fishermen, a goodwill gesture which comes amid strain in ties after the recent cross border terror incidents.