Rs 1,981 crore assistance for Polavaram irrigation project
Union Water Resources Minister Uma Bharti handed over a Rs 1,981 crore cheque to Andhra Pradesh Chief Minister N. Chandrababu Naidu for the Polavaram irrigation project.
Indo-Bangla border to be completely sealed by mid 2018
Union Home Minister Rajnath Singh said the security of the more than 200-kilometre-long Indo-Bangladesh border was a priority for the BJP government and it will be completely sealed in next one and a half years.
Rs 120 crore new malaria control drive for southern part of Odisha
Odisha government has decided to launch a new malaria control programme, DAMAN, in inaccessible areas with annual expenditure of Rs 24 crore from the state budget.
- To start with DAMAN, acronym for Durgama Anchalare Malaria Nirakaran (malaria control in inaccessible areas) will be implemented in 8,000 villages of all 79 blocks of eight high malaria endemic southern districts: Koraput, Malkangiri, Nabarangapur, Kalahandi, Rayagada, Gajapati, Nuapada and Kandhamal
Punjab board launches online website for teaching Punjabi
Punjab School Education Board launched an online Punjabi learning website (http://www.elearnpunjabi.com/) for teaching the language and promoting it across the world.
Delhi govt to make payments above Rs 5,000 electronically
The Delhi government has asked all its departments to make electronic payments to suppliers, contractors and institutions if the order value exceeds Rs 5,000. The Finance Department of the Delhi government has issued an office memorandum deciding to implement the recent order of the Union Finance Ministry in this regard to promote e-payments.
‘Kuchipudi’ performers dance their way into Guinness World Records
Andhra Pradesh’s own classical dance ‘Kuchipudi’ found a place in the Guinness World Records yet again when a record 6,117 dancers came together to present a show at the IGMC Stadium in Vijaywada.
KVGB to hire more women business correspondents
Karnataka Vikas Grameena Bank (KVGB) to hire women business correspondents in select villages under its jurisdiction.
- Launching the ‘Bank Sakhi’ programme at Adavi Somapura village in Gadag district, S Ravindran, Chairman of the bank, said that KVGB will hire 50 ‘Bank Sakhis’ confining to nine districts under its jurisdiction.
Railways doubles accident compensation
Indian Railways has doubled the compensation for the passengers those killed or injured in the rail accident. The decision will be effective from 1st of January next year.
- Now, family of a deceased person in a rail accident will get a compensation of eight lakh rupees in place 4 lakh rupees.
India successfully test-fires nuclear capable missile Agni V
India successfully test-fired its indigenously developed intercontinental surface-to-surface nuclear capable ballistic missile Agni-V from the Abdul Kalam Island off the Odisha coast in Balasore district.
- Agni V, which is 17 meter tall is the fourth and final missile, has been successfully tested by the Defence Research and Development Organisation.
Online portal, RailYatri launches ‘Fog Alert’ feature to alert travelers about delays
The new ‘Fog Alert’ feature tells the passengers about fog probability along the route, severity of fog and its probable impact on train schedules. The feature would allow people to plan their travel better as well as keep their near and dear ones informed about the delays
India’s Yuki Bhambri clinches title
Third seed Yuki Bhambri defeated second seed Shintaro Imai of Japan 6-4, 7-5 in the final of the $10,000 ITF Futures tennis tournament held in Hong Kong.
Yoga not a sport, says Sports Ministry in latest order
After 14 months of being constituted as a sport, Yoga has been derecognised as a sport by the Sports Ministry after consulation between ministry officials, officials from Ministry of AYUSH (Department of Ayurveda, Yoga and Naturopathy, Unani, Siddha and Homoeopathy) and Department of Personnel and Training.
- Yoga was recognised as a sport in September in 2015 and had the stamp of approval coming from the Prime Minister’s Office (PMO) but now the Sports Ministry has concluded that no National Sports Federation (NSF) can be officially recognised by the Ministry.
Pop icon George Michael dies at 53
George Michael, the British singer, musician and founding member of Wham!, passed away at 53.