Cabinet nod for ratifying International Solar Alliance agreement
The Union Cabinet gave post facto approval to India’s ratification of the framework agreement of the International Solar Alliance (ISA) launched last year jointly by India and France at Paris on the sidelines of the 21st Conference of Parties on climate change.
- The ISA, headquartered in India with an interim secretariat at the National Institute of Solar Energy (NISE) premises in Gurugram, aims bring together more than 121 nations for coordinated research, low cost financing and rapid deployment of solar power.
Law Ministry rejects Finance move to link small savings to Aadhaar
The Law Ministry has turned down Finance Ministry’s proposal that a person investing in small savings schemes — these attract gross deposits of over Rs 2 lakh crore each year — be made to link the accounts to his or her Aadhaar number.
- Ahead of launching the demonetisation drive, the Finance Ministry had sought Law Ministry’s opinion whether Aadhaar submission could be made compulsory for small savings schemes like Kisan Vikas Patra, Public Provident Fund, National Savings Certificate, Senior Citizen Saving Scheme and Sukanya Samriddhi Yojana.
Government launches IVRS platform to tackle call drops
In a bid to tackle the call drop menace, the government has launched an Integrated Voice Response System (IVRS) system at multiple locations including Delhi and Mumbai to obtain direct feedback from subscribers on call quality.
- Subscribers will receive an IVRS call from the short code 1955 and will be asked a questions such as whether they are facing or not (facing) call drops in their area.
- They can also send a toll-free SMS to the same short code 1955, containing the location of city/town/village, where they might be facing the problem of frequent call drops.
Aadhaar-based ID cards for airport employees from January 1
In order to beef up security at airports, all employees working at these facilities across the country will have to furnish their Aadhaar number to obtain the mandatory Airport Entry Passes (AEPs) used for entry and exit.
- The Central Industrial Security Force (CISF), the mandated force for civil airports, will implement the measure from January 1 after the Bureau of Civil Aviation Security (BCAS) issued an order in this regard on its request.
Meghalaya to host 2022 National Games
Meghalaya will host the 2022 National Games coinciding with its 50 years of statehood.
- In its meeting in Chennai, Indian Olympic Association, IOA accepted Meghalaya’s bid to host the National Games overshadowing four other bidders Andhra Pradesh, Goa, Chhattisgargh and Uttarakhand.
Anil Baijal appointed Lt.Governor of Delhi
Former bureaucrat Anil Baijal was formally appointed as the Lt.Governor of Delhi. Baijal replaced Najeeb Jung who had, in a surprising move, submitted his resignation to the Centre.
MP Government launches Nagar Uday Abhiyan
Madhya Pradesh Government has recently launched “Nagar Uday Abhiyan” in all 378 urban bodies in the state. The main aim of the abhiyan is to assess services provided to citizens and bring them at standard live, inform lower income class people residing in slums in urban areas about public welfare schemes.
US University professor Viral V Acharya becomes fourth RBI Deputy Governor
An economics professor of New York University has been appointed as the Deputy Governor of Reserve Bank of India. Prof Viral V Acharya has become one of the central bank’s four deputy governors for a term of three years. The post was vacant after elevation of Urjit Patel as the Governor of RBI in early September, this year.
- Earlier, RBI had three deputy governors including N S Vishwanathan, S S Mundra and R Gandhi.
Twitter partners with ICICI Bank for advanced customer care
Twitter and ICICI Bank announced a partnership that is aimed at integrating additional digital customer care support features to benefit customers with direct online response to their queries and feedback in real-time, Twitter said in a statement.
- The social networking platform said ICICI Bank is the first bank in India to implement the new features to its Twitter account @ICICIBank_Care for social customer care.
South Indian Bank launches mobile banking app
South Indian Bank has introduced a full-fledged NRI-focused mobile banking application called SIB Mirror+ across major mobile platforms.
- The new app was launched after the path-breaking ‘E-Lock’ feature that provided a single tap solution to fully secure all digital transaction from frauds.
Housing.com partners Tata Housing to develop digital platform
Realty portal Housing.com has tied up with real estate major Tata Housing to create an exclusive digital marketing platform for the sale of existing inventories and launch of new projects.
MobiKwik to enable utility bill payments across India
Domestic mobile wallet platform MobiKwik has announced that its users will now be able to pay their utility and convenience bills using the wallet across India. The company has got an in-principle approval from the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) to set up a Bharat Bill Payments Operating Unit (BBPOU).
Paytm will enable 5 million merchants go digital in 2017
Announcing that it will enable five million merchants to leapfrog to digital payments in 2017, mobile payment and e-commerce platform Paytm launched an array of new features to enhance security and increase usability both for consumers and merchants.
Sunder Lal Patwa, former Madhya Pardesh CM, dies at 92
Former Madhya Pradesh chief minister Sunder Lal Patwa died of a heart attack.
- Patwa was chief minister twice from January 20, 1980 to February 17, 1980 when he was in the Janata Party and then from March 5, 1990 to December 15, 1992 when he led the Bharatiya Janta Party.