Railway Ministry to soon launch Humsafar Express
In the railway budget this year, four new types of trains were announced namely Humsafar, Tejas, Antodaya and Uday.
- Humsafar Express, a special service comprising only AC-3 coaches with many added facilities, will be launched shortly.
- The first 22-coach Humsafar Express will be launched from Gorakhpur.
Government launches ‘DigiShala’ TV channel to promote cashless economy
‘DigiShala’ is aimed at enabling and empowering citizens especially farmers, students, Dalits and women in rural areas about the usefulness and benefits of digital payment.
Indian Army launches ‘Veterans Outreach App’
The app was launched by Army chief General Dalbir Singh. The app also facilitates ‘Finding Coursemates’ from among veterans registered on the Indian Army veterans’ portal.
Uttarakhand High Court asks govt to put complete ban on liquor in Chardham area
Uttarakhand High Court has asked the state government to put a complete ban on sale and consumption of liquor from the next fiscal (2017-18) in three districts where the four famous Himalayan shrines also known as the ‘Chardham’ are located.
- These 3 districts are Rudraprayag, Chamoli and Uttarkashi.
- The high altitude Kedarnath and Badrinath shrines are located in Rudraprayag and Chamoli districts respectively whereas Gangotri and Yamunotri shrines are situated in Uttarkashi district.
- The court also asked the state government to put a ban on vending tobacco within a radius of five kilometre from Gurdwara Nanakmatta, Gurdwara Meetha Reetha Sahib and Gurdwara Hemkund Sahib.
Reverie Language Technologies to live its first payments bank
Bengaluru-based Reverie Language Technologies is planning to go live with its first payments bank, with its entire transactions in local languages, by March 2017.
L&T to make world’s ‘biggest’ cricket stadium at Gujarat’s Motera
India will soon have the world’s biggest cricket stadium in terms of seating capacity. Gujarat Cricket Association (GCA) handed a contract to Larsen & Turbo (L&T) to make Sardar Patel Cricket Stadium in Ahmedabad, the biggest stadium in the world.
- The new Motera stadium will house 1,10,000 people.
- With this, the new Stadium will surpass the Melbourne Cricket Ground which can hold 100,024 people.
India-UK Conference on Ease of Doing Business inaugurated in Delhi
Intel ties up with govt for water, air quality monitoring systems
Ghana opposition leader Nana Akufo-Addo wins presidential election
Ghana’s main opposition leader, Nana Akufo-Addo, has won the West African country’s presidential election with an absolute majority over President John Mahama.
Harry Potter tops Amazon’s best-selling books of 2016
Amazon, which started as an online book retailer, has announced Harry Potter and the Cursed Child as the best-selling book of 2016.
American space legend John Glenn dead at 95
John Glenn, who made history twice as the first American to orbit the Earth and the first senior citizen to venture into space, has died at the age of 95.
International Anti-Corruption Day: December 9 2016
International Anti-Corruption Day is observed annually on 9 December since the passage of the United Nations Convention against Corruption on 31 October 2003.
- The theme for 2016 International Anti-Corruption Day is United against corruption for development, peace and security