Current Affairs February 1, 2017
Govt proposes Payments Regulatory Board in RBI
Finance Minister Arun Jaitley has proposed creation of a six-member Payments Regulatory Board in the RBI, headed by its Governor, as part of bringing about structural reforms in the payment eco-system.
- For the purpose, necessary amendments are proposed in the Finance Bill 2017 to create a Payments Regulatory Board in the Reserve Bank of India by replacing the existing Board for Regulation and Supervision of Payment and Settlement Systems.
Rs 10k allocation for PSU banks, PSBs may have to tap equities market or sell non-core assets in Budget 2017
Government owned banks will have to tap the equities market and quickly sell non-core assets since the union budget have allocated just about Rs 10,000 crore capital for banks what are struggling with huge pile up of bad loans.
- In August 2015, government had said that Rs 70,000 crore will be allocated as capital to PSU banks in phases till 2018-19.
- In July 2016, government had allocated Rs 22915 crore capital to state run banks with State Bank of India receiving Rs 7675 crore followed by Indian Overseas Bank at Rs 3101 crore and Punjab National Bank received Rs 2816 crore.
Government to borrow Rs 3.5 lakh crore in FY18
The government will borrow Rs 3.5 lakh crore from the market in 2017-18, around Rs 75,000 crore lower than the current fiscal.
Indian economy to grow 7-7.5 per cent in FY’18: Arvind Panagariya
Niti Aayog vice-chairman Arvind Panagariya has expressed hope that the economic growth in the next fiscal year would be in the range of 7-7.5 per cent.
PM Modi to be ‘Guest of Honour’ at St. Petersburg International Economic Forum
Prime Minister Narendra Modi will attend the St. Petersburg International Economic Forum in Russia, scheduled from June 1 to 3, as the ‘Guest of Honour’.
Rajasthan, Telangana bag eGov awards
The Centre’s intense focus on Digital India seems to have drawn greater response this year to the CSI -Nihilent eGovernance Awards.
- This year, under the State category, Rajasthan and Telangana emerged Winners of Excellence while the Award of Recognition went to Odisha and Nagaland.
Alok Verma takes charge as new CBI Director
Former Delhi Police Commissioner Alok Verma took charge as the new CBI Director. He will hold the charge of the premier investigating agency for a period of two years.
- The post of the CBI Director was lying vacant for over a month following retirement of Anil Sinha.
31st Surajkund International Crafts Mela began today
The 31st Surajkund International Crafts Mela began today in Faridabad, Haryana.
- Haryana Chief Minister Manohar Lal Khattar inaugurated the fortnight-long event.
- The mela will remain open for public from 10:30 a.m. to 8:30 p.m. till February 15.
Industrybuying announces first ever affiliate program in B2B e-commerce
India’s leading B2B e-commerce company, Industrybuying, announced the launch of its first ever affiliate program called ‘IB Affiliate’.
- This program is essentially a marketing tool that will enable publishers to monetise their content by advertising contextually-relevant products and referring visitors to the Industrybuying site.
Former Union minister E Ahamed dies after cardiac arrest in Parliament
Former Union minister and Indian Union Muslim League leader E Ahamed was declared dead in Delhi, triggering confusion about the scheduled budget presentation in Parliament.
UNICEF launches 3.3 bln USD to aid millions of children affected by conflict, disasters
The UN Children’s Fund (UNICEF) launched an appeal of 3.3 billion U.S. dollars to provide emergency assistance in 48 countries around the globe, against the backdrop of ever increasing number of children driven from their homes due to conflict, disasters and climate change.