Current Affairs February 5, 2017
Corporation Bank pact with Religare
Corporation Bank has signed an agreement with Religare Health Insurance Co Ltd to market its products and services through the distribution network of the bank across India.
Tax department scans 1-cr accounts under ‘Operation Clean Money’
In a bid to clamp down on unaccounted money funnelled into bank accounts post demonetisation, the tax department has scrutinised and matched as many as 1-crore accounts and asked 18 lakh people to explain the source of fund.
India to host international nuclear security meet
India will host a key meet on nuclear security in New Delhi which will be attended by delegated from over 100 countries.
- The MEA in coordination with the Department of Atomic Energy will host the Implementation and Assessment Group Meeting of the Global Initiative to Combat Nuclear Terrorism (GICNT) on February 8-10.
Sasikala Natarajan to be new TM CM, Panneerselvam resigns
Tamil Nadu Chief Minister O Panneerselvam today tendered his resignation from the post citing ‘personal reasons’ and setting the stage for takeover of V K Sasikala who was elected as the legislative party leader of the party.
- Incumbent Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu, O. Panneerselvam proposed the name of Chinnamma (Sasikala Natarajan) as the leader of AIADMK legislature party leader.
Telangana government launches India’s first social innovation centre
Telangana government launched the Kakatiya Hub for Social Innovation in Nizamabad, which is expected to be up and running by September.
- Funded by the Telangana government, Kakatiya Hub, which will function like a rural incubator to encourage entrepreneurship at grassroots level, is claimed to be India’s first social innovation centre.
Arun Kumar succeeds Richard Rekhy as KPMG India chairman
KPMG India board has elected Arun M Kumar as chairman and CEO to lead the India operations of the consulting and accounting major.
- He succeeds Richard Rekhy, who stepped down in November last year.
First ever training center dedicated for Para Athletes opened in Gujarat
Sports Minister Vijay Goel laid the Foundation Stone of the first ever training center dedicated for Para Athletes at Gandhinagar, Gujarat.
- Para athletes have won 4 medals at RIO Olympics for India in 2016and brought glory for the country in International Sports Arena.
- Prime Minister after meeting with Para Athlete Shri Devender Jhajharia Gold Medalist of RIO Olympic Games 2016 desired that a World Class Para athletic Center be opened in India.
- Sports Minister also laid the foundation stone of the country’s first centre of excellence for differently abled sportsmen at Gandhinagar
Alastair Cook awarded Order of the British Empire
England Test captain Alastair Cook has been honoured with Commander of the Most Excellent Order of the British Empire (CBE).
Qatar Airways launches world’s longest flight
Qatar Airways launched the world’s longest scheduled commercial service with its inaugural flight from Doha to Auckland.
Renowned Urdu author Bano Qudsia passes away
Renowned Pakistani Urdu novelist and playwright Bano Qudsia has passed away in Lahore.