Current Affairs February 7, 2017
Bank of Baroda, IFFCO launch co-branded debit card for farmers
In a novel initiative that would push digitalisation and cashless economy, Bank of Baroda (BOB) has tied up with IFFCO, a cooperative, to provide co-branded debit cards with inbuilt overdraft facilities to the farmers.
- These co-branded debit cards will be exclusively used for the purchase of IFFCO products only.
IDFC Bank, IndiaLends tie-up for loan services to 1st timers
Private sector lender IDFC Bank has collaborated with fintech startup IndiaLends to enable first time borrowers who do not have a credit history to take loans.
PNB Housing Finance limited signs MOU with CREDAI to train construction workers in West Bengal
Addressing the need of pacing up constructions with skilled labour that would result in quicker delivery and hand overs, PNB Housing Finance Limited (PNBHFL) has signed an MOU with CREDAI West Bengal to train 1000 construction workers in Kolkata and nearby villages.
ICICI Securities inks partnership with Denmark’s Saxo Bank
Largest retail brokerage ICICI Securities has announced a strategic partnership with Saxo Bank, the Denmark-based online multi-asset trading and investment specialist, to enable domestic investors enter overseas markets, including equities and debt segments.
Lok Sabha passes Specified Bank Notes Bill
The Lok Sabha today passed the Specified Bank Notes (Cessation of Liabilities) Bill, 2017 which provides for holding, transfer and receiving of old 500 and 1000 rupee notes a criminal offence which bill seeks to end the liability of RBI and the government on the currency notes demonetised in November last year.
The bill states that the government took the demonetisation decision on the recommendations of the RBI’s central board to eliminate unaccounted money and fake currency notes from the financial system.
Indian Coast Guard, UAE counter parts to take part in joint exercise in Dubai
The Indian Coast Guard (ICG) and their UAE counter parts will take part in a joint exercise and sharing of operational expertise.
- Indian Coast Guard Ship (ICGS) Samudra Pavak has arrived on a goodwill visit to Dubai and has anchored itself at Port Rashid.
Centre announces financial assistance for struggling athletes of yesteryears
The Ministry of Youth Affairs and Sports implemented a scheme named “National Welfare Fund for Sportspersons” for providing financial assistance to outstanding sportspersons of yesteryears.
The scheme will provide financial assistance to outstanding sportspersons who had brought glory to the country in sports, but are now living in indigent circumstances.
Ratan Tata launches ‘Moonshot Wheels’
Tata Group patriarch Ratan Tatahas launched TeamIndus Foundation’s ‘Moonshot Wheels’ – a bus which will traverse the country with an aim to inspire the next generation about India’s first private moon mission.
- Moonshot Wheels is a bus which will traverse nine states, 12,500 kms in 12 months, across India impacting 36,000+ students in government schools.
- The bus will carry 16 science experiments; live satellite tracking, moon rover, spacecraft-scaled model and an experience zone.
Bangladesh replaces US on tourist inflow in India
India’s neighbour Bangladesh has for the first time become the biggest source market for foreign tourists coming to the country. The US, the traditional top source for arrivals, has lost the spot it held for years to Bangladesh.
Arunachal Pradesh govt introduces ‘Arunachal Civil Service Awards’
Arunachal Pradesh State government has introduced ‘Arunachal Civil Service Awards’ for excellence in public administration. It is an effort to encourage good governance and to recognize the extra-ordinary services rendered by the government employees in the state.
Ministry of Minority Affairs implements schemes for women
Apart from other schemes which are available to all, including women, the Ministry of Minority Affairs implemented three specific schemes for women.
These schemes are
- Nai – Roshni for Leadership Development of Minority Women focuses on the development of women belonging to minority communities with an aim to empower them.
- Begum Hazrat Mahal National Scholarship For Meritorious Girls is belonging to minorities which is implemented through Maulana Azad Education Foundation.
- Mahila Samridhi Yojana is implemented through National Minorities Development and Finance Corporation (NMDFC) wherein skill development training is imparted to a group of women in various areas of trades.
Railways plans Railway Line on Andaman and Nicobar Islands
The Railways Ministry is planning A 240-KM broad-gauge railway line connecting two major islands, with bridges and stations along the coast, rail link connecting Port Blair with Diglipur on the Andaman and Nicobar Islands – a first in the country that will bring the group of islands on the rail map.
Google joins hands with Goa Education Board to include Internet Safety subject into school curriculum
Google revealed that it has joined hands with Goa Education board to introduce internet safety into the school curriculum. For now the course has only been integrated for secondary and higher secondary students, and is in plans to be introduced for all classes.
Tripartite MoU for Implementation of Tourism Projects In Jammu & Kashmir
A Tripartite Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) for implementation of Tourism projects in Jammu and Kashmir has been signed amongMinistry of Tourism, M/s NPCC & NBCC and Government of Jammu and Kashmir.
India to host World Billiards Championship for next four years
India will host the World Billiards Championship for the next four years, the Billiards and Snoooker Federation of India (BSFI) announced.
- The premier event was held in Bengaluru last year when champion cueist Pankaj Advani had triumphed in the 150-UP format beating Peter Gilchrist of Singapore.
National Badminton Championship
The following people won the championship in different categories in the 81 st Senior National Badminton Championships tournament played in Patna:
- Women’s Singles: Rituparna Das claimed the title defeating Reshma Karthik
- Men’s Singles: Sourabh Verma clinches defeating Lakshya Sen.
- Women’s doubles: the duo of Aparna Balan and Prajakta Sawant won
- Men’s doubles: the duo of Satwik Sai Raj and Chirag Shetty won
- Mixed doubles: the duo of Satwik Sai Raj and Maneesha K won
Indian-origin artist wins Genesis prize
Indian-origin British artist Anish Kapoor was named the winner of Israel’s prestigious Genesis prize. Dubbed as the Jewish Nobel, Kapoor was given the US$ 1 million award for his “long history of social activism and commitment to social justice”.
Iran Lifts Ban on American Wrestling Team
Iran has lifted a ban on U.S. wrestlers, allowing them to take part in the Freestyle World Cup later this month in the Iranian city of Kermanshah.