Current Affairs February 12, 2017
Govt plans ‘Indradhanush 2.0’ for recapitalisation of public sector banks
Government plans to come out with ‘Indradhanush 2.0’, a comprehensive plan for recapitalisation of public sector lenders, with a view to make sure they remain solvent and fully comply with the global capital adequacy norms, Basel-III.
Government approves electronics development fund of Rs 6,831 crore
Government has approved Rs 681 crore as seed capital for building a total corpus of Rs over Rs 6,800 crore under the electronic development fund meant to support entrepreneurship and innovation in electronics and IT.
Indian Railways conducting ‘world’s largest’ online test for 18,000 vacancies
Aiming at eliminating the scope for malpractices in its recruitment process, Indian Railways is conducting the world’s “largest” online examination to fill up over 18,000 vacancies in various categories. A whopping 92 lakh candidates had applied for the jobs, of whom 2.73 lakh qualified the preliminary exam and were called for written test on January 17-19.
Deshpande Foundation to set up India’s largest skill development centre
The Deshpande Foundation, the decade-long philanthropic effort of Silicon Valley entrepreneur Gururaj ‘Desh’ Deshpande, is setting up India’s largest skill development centre in the North Karnataka town of Hubbali that will open its doors in April this year.
Delhi airport 12th busiest in the world
Delhi International Airport was the 12th busiest airport worldwide for the month of November 2016 according to a latest report published by International Civil Aviation Organisation (ICAO).
- It is the first time an Indian airport has entered the big league of top 15 airports in the world.
- Delhi Airport has also recorded the highest growth rate of 19.1 per cent in November 2016 globally.
INS Sarvekshak goes green; installs solar power system
Indian Navy’s survey vessel INS Sarvekshak has gone green by installing a solar power system on board.
- The system is “maintenance free” whereeas the the diesel generator requires regular maintenance
With an eye on Venus and Mars, ISRO attempts mega world record
India will boldly go to Venus for the first time and re-visit the Red Planet very soon.
Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) is attempting to undertake its mega launch where it will drop off into space not one, two or three but a full load of 104 satellites in space in a single mission.
- No other country has ever tried to hit a century in a single mission. The last world record is held by Russia which in 2014 rocketed 37 satellites in a single launch using a modified inter-continental ballistic missile.
- The second mission to Mars is tentatively slated for in 2021-2022 timeframe and as per existing plans.
PRITHVI Defence Vehicle Interceptor Missile Test Fire successful
DRDO conducted on the successful test-firing of the Prithvi Defence Vehicle (PDV) Interceptor Missile.
- India now joins a select group of nations having such an effective Ballistic Missile Defence System. The nation is proud of this accomplishment made by DRDO.
Grammy Awards to include first-ever transgender ‘trophy girl’
The three trophy handlers at ceremony are transgender model Martina Robledo; model and actor Derek Marrocco, and model and actress Hollin Haley.
Dr Neelu Rohmetra, First Woman Indian Institute of Management (IIM) Director
Dr. Neelu Rohmetra of Jammu University has been appointed as the director of IIM Sirmaur, Himachal Pradesh.
- The government recently appointed heads of 10 Indian Institutes of Management (IIMs), including the first woman to head one of the 20 premier B-schools in the country.
IIT Kharagpur to set up India’s first school on Quality and Reliability
The Indian Institute of Technology Kharagpur is starting an inter-disciplinary school on Quality and Reliability (Q&R), a first of its kind in India.
India Lifts 2nd Successive Blind World Cup, Beats Pakistan
India successfully defended their title in the T20 Blind World Cup at M. Chinnaswamy Stadium in Bangalore by beating arch-rivals Pakistan in the final by nine wickets.
Ashwin becomes the world’s fastest to claim 250 test wickets
Indian off-spinner Ravichandran Ashwin created the record of claiming 250 Test wickets in the least number of matches in his 45th Test, eclipsing legendary Australian fast bowler Dennis Lillee.
Six Indian footballers named for NFL training camp in USA
Six Indian players have been selected for the National Football League (NFL) training camp to be held in the USA.
- These are Raju Vasudev Haldankar, Arshad Khan, Mukesh Singh, Elton Godinho, Gnanendrasinh Jhala and Dylan D’Costa.
Yusuf Pathan becomes 1st Indian cricketer to play for foreign T20 league
Indian all-rounder Yusuf Pathan has become cricketer from the country to sign a deal with an overseas franchise-based T20 league after the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) allowed him to feature in the Hong Kong T20 Blitz.
- Other prominent signings for the league include Sri Lanka’s Kumar Sangakkara and Tillakaratne Dilshan, West Indies’ Darren Sammy, New Zealand’s James Franklin and the former South Africa offspinner Johan Botha.
Diego Maradona to be FIFA ambassador
Diego Maradona from Argentina has been given an ambassador role by FIFA.
NBA & Take Two Interactive to Launch NBA 2K E-League
The National Basketball Association (NBA) and Take-Two Interactive Software, Inc. announced plans to launch the NBA 2K eLeague, a new, professional competitive gaming league that will bring together the best basketball gamers in the world. This marks the first official eSports league operated by a U.S. professional sports league.
Frank-Walter Steinmeier elected President of Germany
Former German foreign minister Frank-Walter Steinmeier has been elected President by a Parliamentary Assembly.
Japanese manga legend Jiro Taniguchi dies at 69
Jiro Taniguchi, a legend in Japan’s comic art of manga, died in Tokyo at the age of 69, leaving behind an international following for his exquisite line drawing of scenes from everyday life.