Current Affairs February 18, 2017
SBI ties up with Greenply to offer financial services to its dealers
State Bank of India has announced a tie-up with Greenply Industries to grow its channel financing business.
- This deal allows SBI to take yet another step in growing its digital banking footprint.
Corporation Bank gets MSME excellence award
Public sector Corporation Bank has been awarded the ‘National MSME Excellence Award 2017’, instituted by the Federation of Industry, Trade and Services.
Urban Ladder ties up with Tata Housing
Online furniture firm Urban Ladder has tied up with Tata Housing to showcase its product solutions across three projects in Mumbai, Bengaluru and Gurgaon.
Indian Navy inducts second sailboat Tarini to conduct first all-women circumnavigation of globe
The Indian Navy’s second ocean going sailboat Tarini has been inducted into service.
- Tarini is slated to be the platform for ‘First Indian All Women Circumnavigation of the Globe’ expedition of the Indian Navy.
Indian Coast Guard Ship ICGS AYUSH commissioned at Kochi
Indian Coast Guard Ship ICGS AYUSH has been commissioned at Kochi.
- ICGS AYUSH is the 20th and the last in the series of 20 Fast Patrol Vessels being built by Cochin Shipyard Ltd.
ICAI’s Accounting Research Foundation signs pact with Railways
The CA Institute’s Accounting Research Foundation (ARF) has signed an agreement with Railways for the national rollout of accrual accounting in Railways.
EPFO extends deadline for submitting Aadhaar till March 31
Employees’ Provident Fund Organisation, EPFO has extended the deadline for submitting Aadhaar number by its members till 31st March.
- Earlier the time period of submission of Aadhaar was 28th February.
India win silver at the Asian Women’s Rugby Sevens Trophy
The Indian Women’s team today won a silver at the Asian Rugby Sevens Trophy tournament at Vientiane, Laos.
South Korea won the Trophy.
Lata Mangeshkar gets Legendary Award
Melody Queen Lata Mangeshkar has been honoured with the ‘Legendary Award’ by the Brand Laureate.
The Brand Laureate Awards recognises world-class achievement in branding among individuals and companies.
- In 2012, Shah Rukh Khan was honoured with the Brand Laureate Legendary Award for his unmatched contribution to Indian Cinema.
- The Brand Laureate Legendary Award has been earlier given to the likes of former South African president Nelson Mandela, Nobel Laureate Mohammad Yunus, Indian businessman Ratan Tata, late Apple co-founder Steve Jobs, Facebook CEO Marck Zuckerburg and F1 racer Michael Schumacher.
Hindi Scholar and writer Surendra Verma selected for Vyas Samman award 2016
Well known Hindi Scholar and writer Surendra Verma has been selected for Vyas Samman-2016.
- He has been chosen for this prestigious award for his novel “Kaatna Shami Ka Vriksha : Padma Pankhuri Ki Dhar Se”, published in 2010.
JLL named to FORTUNE’s 2017 World’s most admired companies list
Reinforcing its reputation for excellence, JLL has again been named to FORTUNE magazine’s World’s Most Admired Companies list.
Scientists discover ‘Zealandia’ – a hidden continent off the coast of Australia
Geologists claim to have discovered a new continent to the east of Australia: Zealandia. At 4.9 million square kilometres of land mass, 94 per cent of which is under water, Zealandia would be the world’s smallest continent.
- The 11 scientists behind the claim presented their findings in the study “Zealandia: Earth’s Hidden Continent” in Geological Society of America, making a case for Zealandia to be recognised as the world’s eighth continent in its own right.
NASA to create first-ever space technology research institutes
NASA has selected proposals for the creation of two multi-disciplinary, university-led research institutes that will focus on the development of technologies critical to extending human presence deeper into our solar system.
Danish badminton legend Erland Kops dies