Current Affairs February 21, 2017
Dish TV joins hands with ICICI Bank for digital payments
Direct-to-home operator Dish TV has tied up with private lender ICICI Bank for digital payments.
India launches ‘Cyber Swachhta Kendra’ to protect citizens
At a time when cyber attacks are increasing, the government through its Computer Emergency Response Team (CERT-in) launched “Cyber Swachhta Kendra” — a new desktop and mobile security solution for a secure cyber space in the country. The new solution will notify, enable cleaning and secure systems of end-users to prevent further infections.
The Cyber Swachhta Kendra is part of the government of India’s Digital India initiative under the Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology (MeitY).
- The National Cyber Coordination Centre will be operational by June 2017.
- Part of the solution, USB Pratirodh is a desktop security solution that controls the usage of removable storage media like pen drives, external hard drives and other USB-supported mass storage devices.
- M-Kavach tool offers a comprehensive mobile device security solution for Android devices addressing threats related to mobile phones.
- AppSamvid is a desktop solution which protects systems by allowing installation of genuine applications through white listing. This helps in preventing threats from malicious applications.
India-Rwanda sign three MoUs in innovation, aviation, visa requirements
India and Rwanda signed three MoUs for promoting innovation, easing visa requirements and boosting air connectivity between the two countries.
- The countries will soon set up an entrepreneurship development centre in Kigali while in aviation, Rwanda Air will start services to India in coming months and both countries will mutually exempt visa requirements.
‘India aims to bring broadband to every village by 2018’
India aims to bring high-speed digital connectivity to every village by 2018 and is keen to share expertise in the area with other nations
GVA growth to decline by 70 bps to 6.2% in Q3: Icra
The economy based on the gross value added (GVA) is set to slip to 6.2 per cent in the December quarter from 6.9 per cent a year ago, and GDP growth will decline to 6.5 per cent from 7.2 per cent, said domestic rating agency Icra.
BHIM downloads at over 17 mn, a world record.
Bharat Interface for Money (BHIM), a mobile app pushed by the government to make digital payments a mass movement in India, has seen over 17 million installs (downloads), a world record.
India’s first heliport to open in Delhi
India’s first heliport, built by state-owned Pawan Hans in the northern part of the capital, is set to become functional. Union Civil Aviation Minister Ashok Gajapathi Raju will inaugurate the new facility on February 28, which has come up at an investment of Rs 100 crore.
Shurhozelie Liezeitsu elected new Nagaland CM
Nagaland People’s Front (NPF) president Shurhozelie Liezeitsu will be sworn in as the state’s eleventh Chief Minister.
Center annoumces grant of Rs 54 crore to Tripura under PMKVY
Center has announced a grant of 54 crore rupees to Tripura under Pradhan Mantri Kaushal Vikas Yojna, PMKVY.
Centre to pay Rs 6,320 cr as oil royalty to Assam
The Centre agreed to pay Rs 6,320 crore to the Assam government as crude oil royalty as part of an out-of-court settlement after eight years of protracted legal battle.
- The amount will be paid over a period of three financial years, beginning 2016-17.
Russia to begin military helicopters deliveries to India in 2018
Russia will start initial deliveries of military helicopters to India in 2018, with assembly and manufacturing to follow in Asia’s fastest growing economy.
- India and Russia signed an agreement in October 2016 to jointly manufacture 200 of the KA-226T helicopters for the Indian Armed Forces.
EDII wins International Mercury Award 2016-17
The Ahmedabad-based Entrepreneurship Development Institute of India (EDII), an acknowledged national resource institute for entrepreneurship education, research, training and institution-building, has received the prestigious International Mercury Awards for the year 2016-17 for the best overall presentation of its 2015-2016 annual report.
Vivo Healthcare aims to establish 100 training centres by the end of 2017
India’s first healthcare education and training company, Vivo Healthcare is eyeing major expansion across India, South Asia and the Middle East, following fresh strategic funding from Netherlands-based ICCO Investments.
- With fresh funding pouring in, Vivo Healthcare has set ambitious growth and expansion targets for both India and select foreign markets. The company’s immediate target is to reach the landmark of 100 training centres in India by the end of the year.
India beat South Africa in final of ICC Women’s World Cup Qualifier 2017
India beat South Africa by one wicket in the final of ICC Women World Cup Qualifier 2017 at Colombo.
Afghan cricketers Mohammad Nabi, Rashid Khan create IPL history
Afghanistan cricket broke a new barrier when Mohammad Nabi and Rashid Khan became the first from the war-torn nation to be picked in the Indian Premier League (IPL) auction.
- Both Nabi and Khan players were bought by Sunrisers Hyderabad (SRH) for Rs 30 lakh and Rs 4 crore, respectively.
Noted bureaucrat V. K. Srinivasan passes away
K. Srinivasan, noted bureaucrat, columnist and director of the Institute of Economic Studies, passed away.