Current Affairs February 24, 2017
India, ADB ink $375 mn loan pact for industrial corridor
India and ADB have signed USD 375 million pact for loans and grants to develop 800—km Visakhapatnam—Chennai Industrial Corridor, which is the first phase of a planned 2,500-km East Coast Economic Corridor.
United Bank of India ties-up with IRCTC
United Bank of India has announced a tie-up with IRCTC to offer its customers facility to buy railway tickets using the bank’s debit card.
- The Kolkata-based lender is the 14th bank & 10th among government banks to provide the ticket booking facility by having direct tie- up with IRCTC
IDBI Bank set to get Rs 3000 crore bailout package from govt
The government is all set to bail out IDBI BankBSE 0.00 % with a Rs. 3,000-crore capital infusion to help it maintain a healthy capital-adequacy ratio and pursue credit growth. The government has already said it is still open to bring down its stake in the bank to below 50 per cent.
Dena Bank rolls out RFID-enabled cards to serve valued clients better
Dena Bank has introduced Radio Frequency Identification (RFID) -enabled banking cards whereby a branch/relationship manager can identify a valued client entering a branch with the card.
- Once the client enters the branch, complete information about him/her will pop up on the manager’s desktop.
- The RFID card is being introduced in select branches, and Dena Bank JVPD branch (Mumbai) is the first branch to be enabled with RFID technology.
Icra downgrades various debt instruments of IDBI Bank
Rating agency Icra has downgraded various debt instruments of IDBI Bank owing to a significant erosion of it’s common equity tier I (CET 1), following weak financial performance of the bank in the quarter ended December.
- Icra has downgraded ratings for the bank’s Rs 8,000 crore infrastructure bonds programme, Rs 230.50 crore flexi bonds series and Rs 25,742.72 crore senior and lower tier II bonds programme.
UIDAI lodges FIR against Axis Bank and two more firms for tampering with Aadhaar biometrics
First time in the country, three firms are being probed for attempting unauthorised authentication and impersonation by using stored Aadhaar biometrics in what the Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI) has said is a clear violation of the law.
- UIDAI has lodged a criminal complaint with the cyber cell of Delhi Police. The entities under the scanner are Axis Bank, Mumbai-based Suvidhaa Infoserve and Bengaluru-based eMudhra and they have been served a “notice for action” under Aadhaar regulations.
India clears Rs. 17,000 cr missile deal with Israel
A Rs. 17,000 crore deal has been cleared by the government for jointly developing with Israel a medium-range surface-to-air missile (MR-SAM) for the army, reflecting India’s fast growing defence ties with the Jewish nation.
- The project will be implemented by the DRDO (Defence Research and Development Organisation)and and Israeli Aircraft Industry (IAI).
- 2017 marks the 25th anniversary of establishment of diplomatic ties between the two countries.
Govt ropes in Shilpa Shetty as Swachh Bharat brand ambassador
The government has roped in actress Shilpa Shetty as a brand ambassador for its cleanliness initiative Swachh Bharat Mission. The actress will feature in TV and radio campaigns aimed at discouraging people from littering on roads.
MouD Approved Rs.16.27 cr for Dwarka under Hriday Scheme
Ministry of Urban Development has approved development of 6 km long Bet Dwarka Darshan Circuit in Gujarat at a cost of Rs.16.27 cr under the Central Scheme ‘Heritage City Development and Augmentation Yojana (HRIDAY)’.
Rajasthan becomes 2nd largest crude oil producer in country
Rajasthan has become the second largest crude oil producer in the country after the offshore field Bombay High.
National Folk Festival begins in Kerala
The first such festival of its kind to be held in the state, the NFFK 2017 is organised by the state Youth Welfare Board, in association with Bharat Bhavan and the Vyloppilli Samskrithi Bhavan, the state-run cultural centres.
- Folk artists from 10 states including Rajasthan, West Bengal and Jammu and Kashmir would perform in three different locations in the capital city for three days.
Online payment of court fees introduced in Goa
The High Court of Bombay at Goa has introduced online payment of court fees through e-payment gateway in coordination with the Goa Government and National Informatics Centre (NIC).
- The Goa Assembly had last year amended the Court Fees (Goa Amendment) Act, 2016 enabling e-payment of the court fees.
International Ayurvedic research Institute planned at Kannur
Kerala government today decided to set up a Rs 300 crore international Ayurvedic research institute at Kannur during the 13th five year plan.
- The project will be implemented with central assistance.
- Cabinet also decided to set up Kerala Blood Bank society of International standards.
India to host 2019 Combined World Cup for shooting
India will be hosting the Combined World Cup for shooting in 2019, a qualifying event for the 2020 Tokyo Olympics, which will further boost the country’s profile as a global shooting destination.
PV Sindhu set to be Deputy Collector
Ace Indian shuttler PV Sindhu, who is the first Indian woman athlete to win a silver medal at the Olympics , has accepted a government job which was offered by the Andhra Pradesh Government following her Rio de Janeiro triumph.
- Although Sindhu missed out on gold in Rio de Janeiro, she scripted history by becoming the first Indian woman athlete ever to win silver at the Olympics. She also became the fifth Indian woman to clinch a medal in Olympics history after Karnam Malleswari, Mary Kom, Saina Nehwal and Sakshi Malik.
Adidas ties up with FIFA U-17 World Cup for Mission XI Million
Sportswear giant Adidas today announced its association with FIFA U-17 World Cup Local Organising Committee, coming onboard as the exclusive performance partner for the Mission XI Million programme.
- The Mission XI Million is an initiative that aims at reaching out to millions of youth across India to increase participation in football and create a platform for them to develop their skills.
Somali president names Hassan Ali Khaire prime minister
Somalia’s new President Mohamed Abdullahi Mohamed has chosen political newcomer Hassan Ali Khaire, a former oil company executive, as the country’s prime minister.
Pakistan Army launches ‘Operation Radd-ul-Fasaad’ to eliminate terrorism
In its continuing fight against terrorism, the Pakistan Army on Wednesday launched “Operation Radd-ul-Fasaad” — which roughly translates to “operation to eliminate discord” — across the country