Current Affairs February 25, 2017
PM Narendra Modi unveiled first 112-foot tall Shiva statue in Coimbatore
Prime Minister Narendra Modi unveiled the 112-foot tall statue in Coimbatore, Tamil Nadu dedicated to ‘Adiyogi’ (a form of Lord Shiva who according to the Hindu tradition is considered the first of yogis). The statue has been funded by Isha Foundation, founded by the popular yoga guru Jaggi Vasudev.
India, Bangladesh sign MoU for development of Sylhet
India agreed to provide financial assistance to Bangladesh for the sustainable development of Sylhet, a north-eastern Bangladeshi city.
- Under the Memorandum of Understanding (MoU), three development projects would be taken up in Sylhet.
Centre permits Tamil Nadu to increase number of workdays under MGNREGA
The Centre has accorded permission for increasing the number of workdays under the Mahatma Gandhi Rural Employment Guarantee scheme in Tamil Nadu from the existing 100 days to 150 days.
- A release from the state government in Chennai says the rise in workdays is aimed at helping rural labourers, who are staring at job loss, as the state is affected by severe drought.
First-ever cashless cancer hospital comes up in Guwahati
Union health minister JP Nadda recently inaugurated the first-ever cashless cancer hospital at the Guwahati Medical College.
- From April1, the hospital will be declared as cashless hospital as under the insurance scheme free treatment will be provided to the patient and later through our insurance the expenses will be reimbursed.
Darjeeling gets India’s first mountain biking path
A hill station cycle path, believed to be the first in India, recently opened in Darjeeling. The 20-kilometre mountain biking path runs through the Senchal Wildlife Sanctuary to reach Chatakpur, a small eco-village resort.
33rd Shapawng Yawng Manau Poi festival held in Arunachal Pradesh
The 33rd edition of Shapawng Yawng Manau Poi, an annual mega cultural festival of Singpho tribe of the province was recently celebrated with much fanfare at Bordumsa.
Vivek Chaand Sehgal named EY Entrepreneur of the Year 2016
Vivek Chaand Sehgal, the 60-year-old chairman of auto parts maker Motherson Sumi Systems Ltd, has been named Indian entrepreneur of the year 2016 by EY, the consulting firm formerly known as Ernst & Young.
TCS among top three IT services brands globally
India’s largest software services firm Tata Consultancy Services has broken into the list of Top 3 most valuable brands in the IT services industry by Brand Finance, the leading global brand valuation firm.
Pooja Ghatkar Clinches Bronze in 10m Air Rifle Event in ISSF World Cup
Pooja Ghatkar clinched the women’s 10m air rifle bronze medal as India opened their account on a positive note in the International Shooting Sport Federation (ISSF) World Cup going on in New Delhi.
R Ashwin breaks Kapil Dev’s record for most Test wickets in home season
Off-spinner Ravichandran Ashwin added yet another feather to his cap by becoming the highest wicket-taker in a home Test season.
- The lanky Tamil Nadu bowler, who now has 67 wickets from 10 Tests – the most in a home season, surpassed legendary allrounder and former India captain Kapil Dev, who had 63 wickets from 13 matches in the 1979-80 season.
India wins all 3 medals at Asian Para-Road Cycling Championship
India has made a rousing start at the sixth Asian Para-Road Cycling Championship in Bahrain.
- On the opening day of the tournament at Bahrain, India bagged all three medals in the 12.8 Kilometre Individual Time Trial.
China overtakes US as Germany’s top trade partner.
China overtook the United States last year to become Germany’s biggest trading partner for the first time.
- France remained Germany’s second-largest trading partner while the US slipped to third place, as bilateral trade contracted by 5 per cent to €165 billion.
Pakistan to host 13th ECO Summit in Islamabad
The 13th Economic Cooperation Organisation Summit will be held in Islamabad.
- The theme of ECO Summit is “Connectivity for Regional Prosperity,”.