Asian Development Bank operations reach record $31.5 bn in 2016
Asian Development Bank (ADB) operations for Asia and the Pacific reached all-time high of USD 31.5 billion in 2016, a 17 per cent increase from USD 26.9 billion in the previous year.
- Approvals of ADB loans, grants, technical assistance, and co-financing have been growing steadily over the years as development needs in the region continue to rise, the Manila-based bank said in a statement.
SBI Pension Funds appoints Kumar Sharadindu new MD & CEO
SBI Pension Funds, a subsidiary of State Bank of India, has appointed Kumar Sharadindu as its managing director and chief executive. SBI Pension Funds is one of the three pension fund managers appointed by the regulator PFRDA to manage the pension corpus of employees enrolled under the National Pension System for government employees.
SBI waives MDR charges for small merchants for one year
Country’s largest lender SBI has waived Merchant Discount Rate (MDR) on debit card transactions for all small merchants with annual turnover of up to Rs 20 lakh for one year.
- This has been done with a view to helping small merchants overcome apprehensions towards joining the “journey by installation” of PoS terminals in their shops.
Exim Bank launches export facilitation portal ‘EXIM Mitra’
Export-Import Bank of India (Exim Bank) has launched a portal primarily for providing information on financial products available to facilitate exports, and delivering trade-related information.
- In consonance with the ‘Digital India’ campaign of Prime Minister Narendra Modi, the bank has launched the online platform called ‘EXIM Mitra’ — meaning a friend for exporters and importers.
HDFC Bank unveils its first Humanoid Banking Assistant
The country’s second largest private sector lender HDFC Bank is in the process of introducing ‘Ira’ at its branches to help customers in their transactions.
- This robot is developed in India and named it Ira which means Intelligent Robotic Assistant and it will be used for smoother customer service, marketing, employee assistance and also process automation.
Axis Bank becomes third lender to offer block chain service
Private sector Axis Bank became the third lender in the country to announce usage of block chain solutions for its operations, after its peers ICICI Bank and Yes Bank respectively as first and second.
PM Modi inaugurated ‘Vibrant Gujarat Global Summit’
Prime Minister Narendra Modi will be on a two-day visit to Gujarat from 9 january 2017, he will inaugurate the 8th edition of ‘Vibrant Gujarat Global Investors Summit 2017’ along with series of other programs.
PM Modi inaugurated India INX
Prime Minister Narendra Modi inaugurated the India International Exchange (INX), the first international exchange from India at International Financial Service Centre (IFSC), Gujarat International Finance Tech (GIFT) City, Gujarat, calling it as momentous for the financial sector.
- India INX is one of the world’s most advanced technology platforms with a turn-around time of 4 micro seconds. It will operate for 22 hours a day to allow international investors and Non Residents Indians(NRI) to trade from anywhere across the globe.
Shri Piyush Goyal unveiled World’s Largest Street Light Replacement Programme
Power Minister Piyush Goyal unveiled world’s largest street light replacement programme in South Delhi Municipal Corporation (SDMC) area. In this programme, two lakh LED lights will replace inefficient lamps.
- Goyal will also launch a mobile app called EESL Complaint App for SDMC, wherein users can now lodge complaints about faulty street lights.
Maharashtra govt launches India’s largest WiFi service
Maharashtra government has launched India’s largest public WiFi service called ‘MumbaiWifi’. The facility, inaugurated by Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis in Mumbai will initially provide 500 Wifi hotspots across various locations like Vidhan Bhawan, Kalanagar in Bandra, Bombay High Court and Mumbai Police Commissioner’s office.
Cisco unveils initiatives to digitally empower girls in Rajasthan
In its bid to accelerate the digital transformation of Rajasthan, global networking giant Cisco announced a slew of initiatives, including video-enabled digital classrooms in women colleges in the state to cover 10,000 women students over the next one year.
Haryana to set up ‘Prarambh School for Teachers Education’ in Jhajjar
In Haryana, the ‘State level Prarambh School for Teachers Education’ would be set up at village Silani in district Jhajjar over an area of 10 acres.
- The Prarambh school, offering four year integrated teachers training course, will make available trained teachers who would be well equipped to meet the challenges in the fast-changing scenario in the field of school education.
Flipkart announces Kalyan Krishnamurthy as new CEO, Binny Bansal to become group CEO
In a major restructuring, e-commerce major Flipkart on Monday brought all its units under an umbrella firm and elevated Binny Bansal as Group Chief Executive Officer. Kalyan Krishnamurthy, currently heading the Category Design Organisation, will become the CEO of Flipkart. Co-Founder Sachin Bansal will continue as Executive Chairman.
Roberto Bautista Agut beats Daniil Medvedev, wins Chennai Open 2017
Spaniard Roberto Bautista Agut won the men’s singles title of the Chennai Open 2017. Agut beat Russian 20-year-old Daniil Medvedev 6-3 and 6-4 to claim the first ATP tournament of the season.
Olympic champion David Rudisha to be Mumbai Marathon event ambassador
Reigning Olympic and world 800m champion and world record holder, David Rudisha is the International Event Ambassador for the 14th Standard Chartered Mumbai Marathon to be held on January 15.
Iran’s former president Akbar Hashemi Rafsanjani dies at 82