YES Bank starts fintech accelerator
YES Bank has launched YES FINTECH, an exclusive accelerator programme for fintech start-ups. About 12 start-ups will be hand picked for the programme.
- The bank has tied up with start-up incubator T-Hub, Anthill Ventures and LetsTalkPayments to start the programme.
YES Bank launches customisable savings account
YES Bank has launched a customisable savings account that gives customers the power to choose various features of a savings account.
- The product seeks to protect the customer from unwarranted charges by eliminating unnecessary account features.
Mani Palvesan is new Managing Director of State Bank of Hyderabad
Bharti AXA General appoints Sanjeev Srinivasan as CEO and Managing Director
Indian economy projected to grow by 7.7% in FY 2017: UN report
The United Nations World Economic Situation and Prospects (WESP) 2017 report said India’s economy is projected to grow by 7.7 per cent in fiscal year 2017 and 7.6 per cent in 2018, as it benefits from strong private consumption and gradual introduction of significant domestic reforms.
LIGO India likely to be commissioned in 2024
The LIGO India project is likely to be commissioned in 2024 and its activities would require Indian universities churning out young researchers trained in the science to take up the mantle of exploration of the universe.
PM Modi to inaugurate second Raisina Dialogue
Prime Minister Narendra Modi inauguarted the 2nd Raisina Dialogue at Taj Palace in New Delhi.
India ranks 60 on inclusive development
India has been ranked 60th among 79 developing economies, below neighbouring China and Pakistan, in the inclusive development index, according to a WEF report, ‘Inclusive Growth and Development Report 2017’.
India ranked 78th in global ‘Passport Index’
Indian passport has been ranked a lowly 78 in a global ranking of the world’s most powerful passports which was topped by Germany.
TiE Global to launch entrepreneurship training for women in small towns
TiE (The Indus Entrepreneurs) Global has launched All-India Road Show on Women’s Economic Empowerment through Entrepreneurship (AIRSWEEE) as a career option for women in smaller cities.
Bihar Govt will stop manufacturing of liquor from April 1st
Bihar government has taken decision to stop manufacturing of liquor in the state from 1st April this year.
- It was decided not to renew the license of 21 out of 27 liquor manufacturing and bottling factories in the state. The government has said these factories can produce soft drinks and other product.
- License of remaining six factories will be renewed which produce Ethanol only.
Petroleum awareness ‘Saksham 2017’ launched in Nagaland
Every year the Ministry of Petroleum and Natural Gas (MOP & NG) conduct mass awareness drive on oil and gas conservation across the country on January 16.
- From this year onwards the theme of the programme has been redesigned as Saksham – 2017 and the programme duration has been extended to one month.
- Saksham – 2017 was inaugurated for the state of Nagaland.
‘Sitalpati’ from Bengal recognised as ‘Intangible Cultural Heritage’ by UNESCO
”Sitalpati” from Cooch Behar district of Bengal has been recognised as an ‘Intangible Cultural Heritage’ by the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organisation (UNESCO).
BSNL launches mobile TV service ‘Ditto TV’, Fixed Mobile Telephony service
In a bid to meet competition from private telecom operators, state-owned Bharat Sanchar Nigam Limited (BSNL) today announced mobile TV service ‘Ditto TV’ and limited fixed mobile telephony, an app that virtually turns mobiles into cordless phone working in sync with landlines within home premises.
Ola partners with Apollo Hospitals for road safety
Online cab-hailing firm Ola announced its partnership with Apollo Hospitals to create comprehensive medical program for driver-partners.
- During this program, Ola drivers will be equipped to provide medical assistance in case of on-road emergencies. Drivers will also be taken through a free basic health check-up where their blood pressure, body mass index (BMI) and blood sugar will be tested.
Intel unveils Simbe Robotics Tally, ‘world’s first robotic solution’ for retail
Highlighting the importance of data and smart and connected solutions in transforming the retail industry, Intel has unveiled Simbe Robotics Tally — the world’s first robotic autonomous shelf auditing and analytics solution for retail.
World’s lightest watch created using grapheme
Scientists have developed the world’s lightest high-performance mechanical watch RM 50-03 made using the ‘wonder material’ graphene and weighing just 40 grammes.
World Government Summit to be organised in Dubai between February 12-14
The fifth edition of the World Government Summit (WGS) will get underway soon in UAE as yet another initiative to generate ideas for global governance.
- The leading global event will feature the first international gathering of experts on happiness under the title Global Dialogue for Happiness, as well as the Forum on Climate Change and Food Security, and an Arab Youth Forum.
World Economic Forum (WEF)’s Annual Meeting started at Davos in Switzerland
The meeting will be held from 17 to 20 January, 2017.
Amonatov wins Delhi International Chess meet
Farrukh Amonatov of Tajikistan won the 15th edition of the Delhi International Chess tournament after settling for a draw with Grandmaster Diptayan Ghosh.
Valtteri Bottas joins Lewis Hamilton at Mercedes
Valtteri Bottas has replaced world champion Nico Rosberg at Mercedes.
Veteran film actress Geeta Sen passes away
Veteran film and stage actor Gita Sen, wife of film maker Mrinal Sen, has died.
National award-winning filmmaker Deepak Roy dead at 67
Deepak Roy, known for his movie “Limit to Freedom” which won him a National award in 1996 under the category of best investigative film, has passed away at the age of 67.