World Bank sanctions Rs 1,376 crore for Tripura power upgradation
The World Bank has sanctioned Rs 1,376 crore for complete upgradation and improvement of the power system network in Tripura.
Government to infuse Rs 1,894 crore capital into SBI
The government, which is infusing Rs 1,894 crore capital into State Bank of India, has asked the country’s largest lender to take necessary regulatory approvals for the fund infusion.
- This is the part of Rs 7,575 crore capital infusion announced by the government in July last year.
RBI imposes Rs 75 lakh penalty on Bombay Mercantile Co-operative Bank
The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has imposed a Rs 75 lakh penalty on Bombay Mercantile Co-operative Bank Ltd., Mumbai for violations of Know Your Customer/Anti-Money Laundering (KYC/AML) directives.
BSNL Chennai Telephones ties up with SBI for mobile wallet service
BSNL Chennai Telephones in partnership with State Bank of India has launched Mobicash, a mobile wallet (mWallet) service for cashless transactions.
- The service has been launched in both the Chennai and Tamil Nadu circles by the telecom operator.
HDFC Bank to train 25,000 people in cashless transactions
Private sector HDFC Bank has set a target to provide training to 25,000 people, including businessmen, in Madhya Pradesh in carrying out cashless transactions at special camps.
- For this purpose, “Digital Literacy Camps” will be organised at 275 different places in the state.
NABARD projects Rs 1,28,199.38 crore credit potential for Kerala
The National Bank for Agriculture and Rural Development (NABARD) has projected a credit potential of Rs 1,28,199.38 crore towards priority sector lending by banks in Kerala for the year 2017-18.
Lloyd’s gets final approval from IRDAI to open branch in India
Lloyd’s of London — the best known name in insurance world — said it will open its reinsurance branch in India in time for the April major reinsurance renewals.
- The Insurance Regulatory and Development Authority (IRDA) had in November last year given its approval for Lloyd’s application to provide onshore reinsurance services in India.
- The branch office in India will be located at Mumbai.
Govt gives nod for listing of five general insurance PSUs
The Union Cabinet approved listing of 5 state-owned general insurance firms – New India Assurance Company, United India Insurance, Oriental Insurance Company, National Insurance Company and General Insurance Corporation of India (GIC), on the stock exchanges.
Investors can now buy mutual funds via FreeCharge
Digital payments platform FreeCharge and Reliance Mutual Funds have teamed up to offer paperless access to mutual funds with instant redemptions and zero charges.
- Through this partnership, users can invest in ‘Money Market Mutual Fund’ and get instant redemption of mutual funds at the click of a button.
Govt inks MoU to set up 1,000 ‘Janaushadhi Kendras’
The government signed an agreement with the National Yuva Cooperative Society to set up 1,000 ‘Janaushadhi Kendras’ across the country and targets to open such medical stores in every block and gram panchayat to provide quality medicines at an affordable price.
President Mukherjee inaugurated 28th Dantan Gramin Mela in West Bengal
President Pranab Mukherjee inaugurated the 28th Dantan Gramin Mela in West Midnapore district in West Bengal.
- The fair will display the rural handicraft skills of the people of the region.
Dharamsala declared second capital of Himachal Pradesh by the CM
Himachal Pradesh Chief Minister Virbhadra Singh announced that Dharamsala town in Kangra district will be the second state capital.
MP CM launches Aanandam Scheme to help poor
Madhya Pradesh has become the first State of the country where Aanandam programme has been started to help the needy persons.
Jawaharlal Nehru Port Trust investing Rs 3K cr on road connectivity project: Government
Jawaharlal Nehru Port Trust (JNPT) is investing Rs 3,000 crore for improving road connectivity and also looking to finalise Rs 2,000 crore-dredging project
Estonia launches e-residency program for Indian entrepreneurs
The Republic of Estonia has launched an e-residency programme, a transnational digital identity, available to anyone in the world interested in administering a location-independent business online.
- In India, the programme has been launched in partnership with The AntiAlias, a digital marketing agency. As per this, anyone in India can establish an Estonian company online within a day and administer it remotely.
- The aim is for Estonia to become a preferred destination for businesses. This programme is available to any business, startup or freelancer based in India.
Six Indian cities on world’s most dynamic list, Bengaluru tops chart
Six Indian cities have made it to the world’s 30 most dynamic places that have the ability to embrace technological change, absorb rapid population growth and strengthen global connectivity, with Bengaluru topping the chart.
- Other Indian cities in the list are Hyderabad at the 5th position, Pune (13), Chennai (18), Delhi (23) and Mumbai (25).
IIT Gandhinagar to set up lab to help dye industry
To help the dye-industries meet the pollution norms, the Indian Institute of Technology Gandhinagar (IITGN) will set up a Common Research and Technology Development Hub (CRTDH) on chemical processes at its campus.
Delhi Police Commissioner Alok Verma to be next CBI Chief
Delhi Police Commissioner Alok Verma is set to be the new Chief of the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) for a period of two years.
Google acquires Twitter mobile app developer platform Fabric
In a bid to help developers build better apps and grow their business, Google has acquired Twitter’s mobile app developer platform Fabric.
Earth breaks heat record in 2016 for third year in a row
The world witnessed the hottest year on record in 2016, surpassing the exceptionally high temperatures of 2015, the UN weather agency said.
Alibaba Group becomes worldwide Olympic partner through 2028
Chinese online giant Alibaba became the worldwide Olympic partner through 2028 after signing the first long-term partnership with International Olympic Committee (IOC).
- Alibaba will become the official cloud services and e-commerce platform services partner as well as the founding partner of the Olympic Channel, Alibaba Founder and Executive Chairman Jack Ma announced.