Current Affairs January 22, 2017
Restructured education loans not to be treated as NPAs, says RBI
In order to encourage banks to provide education loans, RBI has said rescheduling of payment period of such loans due to unemployment of borrower will not be treated as restructured accounts for computing NPAs.
- Banks may allow up to three spells of moratorium (not exceeding 6 months each) during life cycle of education loan, taking into account spells of unemployment/underemployment, “without treating the exercise as restructuring”, RBI said in a letter to the Indian Banks’ Association (IBA).
PNB launches Contactless Credit Card
Punjab National Bank (PNB) has launched a Contactless Credit Card named PNB Wave N Pay –Contactless Card.
- This card could be used by just waving it across the terminal and the transaction will be through. There is no need to enter any PIN for transactions up to Rs. 2,000.
‘Singapore most favoured destination to invest for Indian companies’
Indian firms’ total direct overseas investment increased by 32 per cent to USD 2.49 billion in December, with Singapore emerging as the top destination.
- Indian firms pumped in USD 2.06 billion in Singapore in December, which is over 82.5 per cent of the total commitment.
- This is the first month for which RBI has started publishing data in terms of country-wise investment by Indian firms.
Over 3.5 lakh people sing National Anthem in Gujarat, set new world record
Over 3.5 lakh people set a new world record by singing the national anthem at an event at Kagvad in Rajkot district of Gujarat. The occasion was installation of idol of goddess Khodiyar at a newly-built Khodal Dham temple in the town.
Kerala CM inaugurates ‘Jyothirmaya’
Kerala Chief Minister Pinarayi Vijayan inaugurated the 4 lakh square feet latest IT building, ‘Jyothirmaya’ at the Infopark near Kochi.
- ‘Jyothirmaya’, constructed as part of the second phase of development at Infopark, will generate 4,000 job opportunities in the field of IT sector.
- Kakkanad area of Kochi will become the one and only IT corridor of the country once the Infopark Phase 2 and Smart City will be fully operational, Vijayan said.
Delhi airport bags Corporate Social Responsibility award in aviation sector
GMR Group-led consortium Delhi International Airport Ltd. (DIAL) has bagged the prestigious Golden Peacock Award for Corporate Social Responsibility in the aviation transport sector for 2016.
Saina Nehwal clinches Malaysia Masters title
Indian badminton star Saina Nehwal has won the Malaysia Masters Grand Prix Gold beating Thailand teenager Pornpawee Chochuwong.
Urdu poet, lyricist Naqsh Lyallpuri dies at 88
Apple named most innovative company of 2016
Technology giant Apple has emerged as the most innovative company for 2016, according to Boston Consulting Group’s annual list which ranks world’s 50 most innovative firms. Google was ranked second, followed by electric carmaker Tesla on the list.