Current Affairs January 24, 2017
NABARD to raise Rs 20,000 crore for on-lending to co-op banks
Cabinet has permitted NABARD to raise about Rs 20,000 crore from the market for on-lending to cooperative banks at 4.5 per cent interest with an aim to provide cheaper crop loans to farmers.
Yes Bank to offer exclusive banking services to Telugu NRIs
Yes Bank has forged a strategic partnership with Andhra Pradesh Non-Resident Telugu (APNRT) Society to offer exclusive banking services to all Telugu-speaking NRIs in the state.
National Girl Child Day with theme of BBBP celebrated today
The Ministry of Women and Child Development today celebrated the National Girl Child Day at a special function in New Delhi.
- The theme of the program was Beti Bachao, Beti Padhao – BBBP.
Cabinet gives post-facto approval for launching of Varishtha Pension Bima Yojana
Cabinet has given its post-facto approval for launching of Varishtha Pension Bima Yojana as part of government’s commitment for financial inclusion and social security.
- The scheme will be implemented through Life Insurance Corporation during the current financial year. It will provide social security during old age and protect elderly persons aged 60 years and above against a future fall in their interest income due to uncertain market conditions.
- The scheme will provide an assured pension based on a guaranteed rate of return of 8 percent per annum for ten years, with an option to opt for pension on a monthly, quarterly, half yearly or annual basis.
Abu Dhabi Crown Prince arrives in Delhi on 3 day visit
Crown Prince of Abu Dhabi Sheikh Mohammed Bin Zayed Al Nahyan arrived in New Delhi on a three day visit.
- The crown prince was received by Prime Minister Narendra Modi at Delhi Airport as a special gesture. He is the chief guest for this year’s Republic Day parade.
Government to pump in Rs 5500 crore in northeast India to beef up connectivity in the region
Foreign Secretary Jaishankar gets one-year extension
Foreign Secretary S Jaishankar, whose tenure was to end on January 28, has got a one-year extension.
Tamil Nadu Assembly passes Jallikattu bill
Tamil Nadu assembly unanimously passed Jallikattu bill to replace the ordinance issued earlier.
- After the Supreme Court ban on the bull sport in Tamil Nadu, the state has been hit by protests and agitations in last one week.
Amazon India ties up with NSDC, Nagaland government to promote women entrepreneurship
With a view to drive digital literacy among women entrepreneurs in Nagaland, Amazon India partnered with the state government and the National Skill Development Corp (NSDC) to provide them a global platform to sell their products at zero initial cost.
- Amazon India will conduct training and skill development workshops to help the women entrepreneurs in Nagaland understand nuances related to online selling and develop skills necessary to successful online enterprises.
Goa first state to send postal ballots via electronic mode
Goa will become the first state in the country to opt for electronic transmission of postal ballot to service voters in the upcoming assembly polls.
IIMs declared as ‘Institutions of National Importance’
The Union Cabinet chaired by Prime Minister Narendra Modi approved the Indian Institute of Management (IIM) Bill, 2017 under which the reputed string of Universities would be declared as Institutions of National Importance.
- As per the Bill passed by the committee, IIMs can now grant degrees to their students and will be complete autonomy to the Institutions, combined with adequate accountability.
Olympian Dipa Karmakar honoured with special stamp cover
In a rare honour for sporting personalities in the country, Olympian gymnast Dipa Karmakar has found a proud place on a special cover released by India Post. The Indian postal department released a special cover featuring the Olympian during a district-level philatelic exhibition in Agartala.
- The special cover titled “Golden girls of India – Pride of Nation” features Dipa along with shuttler PV Sindu and wrestler Sakshi Malik, all of whom have been awarded the nation’s highest sports award Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna last year.
Bengal U-19 colts clinch Cooch Behar Trophy after 19 years
The Bengal U-19 team have created history after 19 long years, as they won the prestigious Cooch Behar Trophy by taking a crucial lead of 79 runs in the first innings against host Delhi at the Feroz Shah Kotla stadium.
Virat Kohli surpasses AB de Villiers, becomes fastest to get to 1000 ODI runs as captain
Indian skipper Virat Kohli became the fastest to get to 1000 runs as captain.
- Kohli has got to 1000 runs in 17 innings as captain. Trailing him is South Africa’s AB de Villiers, who took 18 innings to get there.
Nepal launches 10-yr-plan to cut vegetable imports from India
Nepal government has launched a 10-year-plan to cut dependence on vegetable imports from India and make the land-locked country self-reliant in food.