Current Affairs March 03, 2017
SBI announces penalty for non-maintenance of minimum balance from April 1
Making it compulsory for account-holders to maintain a minimum balance, the State Bank of India (SBI) has announced that it will be charging defaulters a penalty from April 1 onwards.
- Making maintenance of Rs 5,000 mandatory for accounts in metropolitan areas, Rs 3,000 in urban areas, Rs 2,000 in semi-urban areas and Rs 1,000 in rural areas, the SBI listed out the charges to be effective from April 1.
Centre sets up credit registry to help banks tackle stressed assets
To enable the banking sector tackle the problem of stressed assets, which now stands at about Rs 12 lakh crore, the Centre has set up an information utility (IU) called National E-Governance Services.
- An information utility is a credit registry, maintaining data on borrowing, default, and security interest of lending/borrowing transactions with banks and financial institutions. It provides data to authorised users on the present status of a borrower.
FM Arun Jaitley opens London Stock Exchange in special ceremony
Finance Minister Arun Jaitley today opened the London Stock Exchange in a special ceremony following which he discussed with investors the role of London in developing India’s fin-tech ecosystem and delivering infrastructure development priorities.
70,000 Crores detected as black money through Central Schemes
Deputy Chairman of the Supreme Court-appointed SIT on black money, Justice Arijit Pasayat told that black money worth Rs. 70,000 crore has been unearthed through different schemes of the government.
Odisha Govt signs MoU with Invest India
To promote start-ups in the state, the Odisha government has signed an agreement with Invest India, the National Investment Promotion and Facilitation Agency of the Union ministry of commerce and industries.
Telangana to tie up with Assam to promote tourism
Telangana State Tourism Development Corporation is to enter into a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with the Assam Government for joint promotion of tourism places in each of their respective States with the active participation of the travel industry.
Kerala govt announces 20 lakh free internet connections for poor families
Within 18 months the internet gateway would be set up through the K phone network at a cost of Rs 1,000 crore and 20 lakh free internet connections will be provided for poor families.
Assam government makes Sanskrit compulsory in schools
Assam Chief Minister Sarbananda Sonowal has announced that Sanskrit will be made a compulsory language for students up to class 8 in the state.
Poompuhar inks pact with NIFT
The Tamil Nadu Handicrafts Development Corporation Limited, popularly known as Poompuhar, will join hands with National Institute of Fashion Technology (NIFT), Hyderabad, to create contemporary designs.
- Under a one-year deal, which can be mutually extended, NIFT will supply 15 designs every month to Poompuhar.
Rotary South Asia Literacy Summit began in Chennai
Rotary, as part of its India Literacy Mission, is organising the ‘Rotary South Asia Lieracy Summit’ in Chennai, Tamil Nadu from March 3 to 5.
- Rotary in India has been working towards its mission of bringing ‘Total Literacy and Quality Education’ in the country through the TEACH Program which looks at Teacher Support, E Learning, Adult Literacy, Child development and Happy schools. Through its network of around 3,500 Rotary clubs across the country, it has been seeking to collaborate with the central and state governments.
Panneerselvam inaugurates ‘Amma Kalviyagam’
Former Tamil Nadu Chief Minister O Panneerselvam has launched a portal which will be a “hub of learning, interaction, opportunity, and connection.”
- The “ammakalviyagam.in”, named after late chief minister Jayalalithaa, was launched by Panneerselvam as part of her 69th birth anniversary celebrations.
T Jacob named UPSC Secretary
Senior IAS officer T Jacob has been appointed as Secretary, Union Public Service Commission (UPSC).
Metro cards to be non-refundable from April 1
Following directives issued by the Reserve Bank of India (RBI), and to make smart cards interoperable, the Delhi Metro Rail Corporation (DMRC) announced that all cards issued on and after April 1, 2017, will be non-refundable.
- Passengers who have old cards will also not be able to seek a refund of the balance on their cards, barring the security deposit.
NMCG Signs MoU with Rotary India for the Success of Namami Gange
In its effort to make Namami Gange programme a mass movement with the involvement of more and more voluntary organisations, National Mission for Clean Ganga under Ministry of Water Resources, River Development and Ganga Rejuvenation signed an MoU with Rotary India in New Delhi.
- Rotary India will support clean Ganga mission through their ‘WASH in Schools’ program in various schools.
Army signs MoU for housing
The Army Welfare Housing Organisation (AWHO) signed an agreement with a private market research firm for support in its housing projects.
Airtel and Millicom to combine operations in Ghana
Telecom major Bharti Airtel has announced that it has entered into an agreement with Millicom International Cellular to combine the operations of their respective subsidiaries in Ghana.
Senior PTI journalist wins ‘Lifetime Achievement Award’ in UK
H S Rao, veteran Indian journalist of the Press Trust of India news agency in the UK, has received a ‘Lifetime Achievement Award’ for his illustrious career spanning nearly five decades at a ceremony in London.
India finish fifth with five medals at ISSF World Cup
India ended their campaign in the International Shooting Sport Federation (ISSF) World Cup (Rifle/Pistol/Shotgun) with five medals, including one Gold, two Silver and two Bronze medals here in New Delhi at the Dr Karni Singh Shooting Range.
- Gold – Jitu Rai in the Men’s 50M Pistol
- Silver – Ankur Mittal in Men’s Double Trap, and Amanpreet Singh in Men’s 50M Pistol
- Bronze –Pooja Ghatkar in the Women’s Air Rifle, and Jitu Rai in the Men’s 10M Air Pistol.
- China topped in the same followed by Italy, Australia and Japan.
‘Supersolids’ confirmed as new state of matter
MIT (Massachusetts Institute of Technology) physicists have created a new state of matter, a supersolid, which simultaneously behaves like a solid and a liquid.
US, South Korea Kick Off Annual Foal Eagle Exercise
United States and South Korean troops kicked off the 2017 iteration of their large-scale annual Foal Eagle exercise.
Obama to be honoured with ‘Profile in Courage’ award
Former US President Barack Obama will be honoured by John F. Kennedy Foundation’s ‘Profile in Courage’ award this year.
- The award, which was created in 1989 is given to a government official or group of officials “whose actions demonstrate the qualities of politically courageous leadership in the spirit of ‘Profiles in Courage,’ president Kennedy’s 1957 Pulitzer prize-winning book.”
European Parliament ends visa-free travel for Americans
The European Parliament has voted to end visa-free travel for Americans within the European Union.
- It comes after the US failed to agree visa-free travel for citizens of five EU countries — Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Poland and Romania.
Sri Lanka wins ‘Most Popular Tourism Destination Award’
Sri Lanka won the “Most Popular Tourism Destination Award” at the Guangzhou International Travel Fair (GITF) in China.
- The island nation won the prestigious award for the second consecutive year which is a testament to its growing popularity among Chinese travel enthusiasts, Xinhua news agency cited the statement as saying.
Veteran politician, former MP Yumnam Yaima Singh passes away
Real Madrid star Kopa dies at 85
Real Madrid star and the first French player to have won the Ballon d’Or award, Raymond Kopa has died.