Current Affairs March 07, 2017
SBI launches ‘Work from Home’ facility for employees
Country’s largest lender State Bank of India has launched a new facility to enable its employees to work from home.
- The Board of the bank has recently approved the ‘Work from Home’ policy to enable its employees to work while at home using mobile devices to address any urgent requirement they may have, that prevents their travelling to work.
- The lender will be using mobile computing technologies and shall have continuous control over all the enabled devices centrally to manage and secure the data and applications on the mobile devices
IDFC launches Aadhaar Pay, becomes the first to launch biometric based payment system
IDFC Bank has become the first bank to launch the biometric-based payment system Aadhaar Pay through its network.
- The bank aims to onboard anywhere between 50,000-75,000 merchant to the Aadhaar pay module in the next two years with a total target of touching 1,00,000 merchants
ESAF Microfinance gets banking license; issues commercial paper worth Rs 330 crore
ESAF Microfinance, the only company from Kerala to receive the small finance bank license, has issued Commercial Papers worth Rs.330 crore.
- ESAF Small Finance Bank, the first bank from Kerala in the private sector after India’s independence, will be opened on March 17, 2017.
Indo-Nepal joint Military exercise ‘Surya Kiran-X’ begins today
A joint military exercise ‘Surya Kiran-Xi’ between India and Nepal began today in Pithoragarh area of Uttarakhand.
- This is a battalion level joint exercise between the two armies.
- The two-week long exercise is aimed at training of both the troops in the area of various counter insurgency operations over a prolonged period.
Cabinet approves MoU with UN Women
The Union Cabinet, chaired by Prime Minister Narendra Modi, on Monday approved the signing of agreement between India and UN Women to strengthen gender equality in governance institutions
- The MoU between India and the United Nations Entity of Gender Equality and the Empowerment of Women (UN Women) seeks to provide technical support to the Ministry of Panchayati Raj to improve the opportunities for gender equality through legislation, policies and programmes in ministry’s institutions.
- Activities under this MoU will be implemented at the district and sub-district level in six states – Andhra Pradesh, Telengana, Odisha, Karnataka, Rajasthan and Madhya Pradesh.
Cabinet approval to MoU on energy efficiency between India, UAE
The Union Cabinet, chaired by Prime Minister Narendra Modi, gave ex-post facto approval to the MoU between India’s National Productivity Council and UAE’s Al Etihad Energy Services for various services in the field of energy management and conservation.
Cabinet gives ex-post facto approval for food cash credit to Punjab
The Union Cabinet, chaired by Prime Minister Narendra Modi, has gave its ex-post facto approval to the proposal to settle “Legacy Food Cash Credit Accounts (up to crop season 2014-15)” of the Punjab government for food procurement
PM Modi to release commemorative postage stamp on 100 years of Yogoda Satsang Math
Prime Minister Narendra Modi will release a special commemorative postage stamp on 100 years of Yogoda Satsang Math.
- Yogoda Satsanga Society of India (YSS) has celebrated its 100 years journey.
Andhra makes history with first legislature session in Amaravati
History was made in this new Andhra Pradesh capital with the beginning of first session of the state assembly and state council.
- Governor E. S.L. Narasimhan addressed the joint session of the two houses at the new legislature building, which has come up at Velagapudi village near the interim state secretariat.
India’s longest cable bridge inaugurated in Gujarat
PM Modi inaugurated India’s longest cable-bridge in Bharuch,Gujarat which is 1344 metres long and 22.8 metres wide.
- The project was built by Larsen and Turbo on river Narmada and it took Rs 379 crore to complete the project of the National Highway Authority of India.
IISc becomes first Indian university to be ranked among top 10 in world
For the first time, an Indian educational institute has broken into the top 10 of a global university rankings.
- The Times Higher Education (THE) revealed that India is home to one of the world’s best small universities, as it made public the 2017 edition of the rankings.
- Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore, has been ranked eighth at the ‘THE’s Best Small Universities in the World 2017’.
- IISc now joins the elite list that includes California Institute of Technology (Caltech) from the US, Ecole Normale Superieure from France and Pohang University of Science and Technology, South Korea. Caltech continues to retain its leadership position, and France and Italy each take three places among the top 10.
IGIA and Chhatrapati Shivaji Airport adjudged world’s second best large airport
Delhi’s Indira Gandhi International Airport and Chhatrapati Shivaji International Airport of Mumbai have shared the second spot and have been declared the world’s second best airport in the highest passenger handling capacity category by the Airports Council International (ACI).
- They both also share the second spot with Singapore’s Changi Airport. They attained the second position globally, only after Incheon Airport, South Korea.
Hyderabad airports bags top rank in service quality
Hyderabad’s Rajiv Gandhi International Airport has secured the first position in Airport Service Quality (ASQ) passengers’ survey in the 5-15 million passengers per annum (MPPA) category for the year 2016.
BCCI announces OPPO as new Team India sponsor
The Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) has named OPPO Mobiles India Private Limited as the new sponsor for the Indian Cricket Team.
- The BCCI has signed a five-year contract with the mobile manufacturing giant which begins from April this year.
- The Oppo will replace STAR India (which replaced SAHARA) whose four-year contract with the country’s cricket governing body will run out on March 31.
Droom becomes largest auto dealers platform in India
India’s pioneering online automobile transactional marketplace Droom has announced that it has accomplished one lakh sellers on its online platform.
- This feat has brought the total number of sellers on the marketplace platform to 100,149 and the company is confident of reaching the 1,50,000 seller mark by the end of this calendar year.
HCL announces Internet of Things maturity framework
The Internet of Things (IoT) business unit of HCL Technologies, IoT Works has launched maturity framework titled “IoT Maturity: Bridging the Gap Between Devices and Value” that provides a roadmap for large enterprises for IoT-led business transformation.
Samsung India announces solar lanterns to 10,000 girl students
With an aim to support gender diversity and the girl child, Samsung India has announced the distribution of 10,000 solar lanterns to girl students of government schools.
- The initiative, which is slated to begin at the end of March, will benefit girl students in government schools of Noida and Gurugram in Delhi-NCR and Sriperumbudur near Chennai
- Each girl child will be given a solar LED lantern that will enable them to spend more time on their studies, even during power outages.
- The lanterns, approved by the Ministry of New and Renewable Energy, are equipped with a solar panel and will come with a three-year product warranty
Tech Mahindra buys American healthcare IT firm
Software major Tech Mahindra has announced acquiring the US-based healthcare IT consulting firm CJS Solutions Group LLC to strengthen its place in the domain.
MakemyTrip, PayPal tie-up for hotel bookings
PayPal, one of the world’s leading payments platforms has announced an extension of its merchant partnership with MakeMyTrip, leading Indian online travel booking company, to facilitate hotel and holidays booking in addition to airline tickets.
Fiji Airways, Jet Airways collaborate
Fiji Airways and Jet Airways have formed a codeshare partnership which offers convenience and seamless connectivity to guests travelling on both carriers.
- The agreement, a first-of-its-kind between the two airlines, will address the growing demand for travel between Fiji and India.
NASA to create universe’s coldest spot in space station box
NASA is all set to send an ice chest-sized box to the International Space Station to create the coolest spot in the universe.
- The ice box called the Cold Atom Laboratory (CAL) is in the final stages of assembly at NASA’s Jet Propulsion Laboratory (JPL).
Cuevas wins third straight Brazil Open title
Uruguay’s Pablo Cuevas has won his third straight Brazil Open tennis title by defeating Albert Ramos-Vinolas of Spain.
Maternal mortality rates decline worldwide except US
While the maternal mortality rates are declining worldwide, the situation for women in the United States is a glaring exception.
U.S. issues travel warning to its citizens visiting S. Asian countries
The United States has issued a travel warning for its citizens visiting Pakistan, Afghanistan and Bangladesh citing that terrorist groups in South Asia could be planning attacks in the region, possibly against American facilities, citizens and interests.
North Korea temporarily bans exit of Malaysians
North Korea has issued a temporary ban on all Malaysians from leaving country in the wake of an increasingly heated diplomatic row over the murder of Pyongyang leader’s half brother in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
Popular Bengali folk singer dies in car accident
Bengali folk singer Kalikaprasad Bhattacharjee died in a accident in West Bengal’s Hooghly district after his car apparently lost control and fell off the highway.