Current Affairs March 08, 2017
HDFC Life and Haptik Join Hands To Launch a Life Insurance Chatbot
HDFC Life, a private life insurance company, has launched a life insurance Chatbot, in association with a chatbot platform, Haptik. The chatbot platform will act as a financial guide and will help the users to choose the best insurance plans and solutions.
- The aim behind this new chatbot is to provide insurance advice to the customers ranging from Health to tax planning and retirement. The assistance will be based on a simple quiz which enables it to compute their Insurance Quotient.
KVG Bank launches scheme for kitchen renovation
The Dharwad-headquartered Karnataka Vikas Grameen Bank (KVGB) has launched a loan scheme, exclusively for women, for the renovation of their kitchen into a modern one on the occasion of International Women’s Day.
- The bank had also introduced ‘Bank Sakhi’ concept post-demonetisation by engaging women to work as business correspondents in the villages.
Over 1,200 dairy co-operatives digitized by HDFC Bank
HDFC Bank said it has digitised payments at over 1,200 dairy co-operatives in the country under the aegis of its Milk to Money (M2M) programme.
- The programme, which was launched in 2010, benefits 3.2 lakh dairy farmers across 16 States
Economy to grow 7.1% in FY17: Global rating agency Fitch
Global rating agency Fitch has announced that Indian economy will grow by 7.1 per cent in the current fiscal before stepping up to 7.7 per cent in the next two financial years.
PM addresses Swachh Shakti 2017 – A Convention of Women Sarpanches at Gandhinagar
The Prime Minister, Shri Narendra Modi, addressed Swachh Shakti 2017 – A Convention of Women Sarpanches, at Gandhinagar.
- He said that this event is an occasion to honour Sarpanches who have contributed immensely to the movement towards a Clean India.
NITI Aayog presents the 2nd edition of Women Transforming India – celebrating women who are breaking the glass ceiling
On the occasion of International Women’s Day 2017, NITI Aayog, in partnership with the UN in India and MyGov, presents the second edition of Women Transforming India, an online contest to celebrate women achievers, leaders and change makers from across the country.
- Women Transforming India was launched in 2016 as an effort to bring attention to successful stories of change realised by women at the grassroots level, within communities.
Girl child ratio increases to 938 per 1000 male in Haryana
In Haryana, girl child ratio has increased to 938 per 1000 male children in February.
- In January this year, the registered girl child ratio was 922.
Railways reserves 33 per cent catering units for women
In a policy aimed at empowering women, the Indian Railways has given 33 per cent sub quota to them in each category of minor catering units at all category of stations.
- There are approximately 8,000 minor catering units over Indian Railways, and Railways would ensure that women participation does not fall below a specific level.
45% of country’s bird spices are in HP: Great Backyard Bird Count
About 45 per cent of country’s total bird spices were reported in Himachal Pradesh during Great Backyard Bird Count (GGBC) 2017 in the State.
- As per eBird data, as many as 564 bird species, nearly 45 per cent of the 1,263 Indian bird species, were reported from Himachal during the 4-day bird count from February 17 to 20.
Karnataka CM launches website to highlight state govt’s achievements
Karnataka chief minister Siddaramaiah has launched Prati Bimba (meaning reflection)— a website to highlight the achievements and progress of various government projects in the state.
Odisha CM launches helpline for women
Odisha Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik has launched a helpline for women on the occasion of International Women’s Day to help women in distress.
- The toll-free helpline service ‘181’, will be available 24×7 in all districts of the state.
Industrial park exclusively for women unveiled in Hyderabad
An industrial park exclusively for women entrepreneurs was unveiled in Hyderabad, Telangana on the occasion of International Women’s Day.
International Yoga fest begins in Delhi
The two-day International Yoga fest has begun in New Delhi.
- More than 3,500 participants including eminent yoga gurus, yoga masters, scholars, policy makers and representatives from 15- 18 countries will participate in this mega event.
Himachal launches mobile app for job-seekers
Himachal Pradesh Chief Minister Virbhadra Singh launched a mobile app to help skilled and semi-skilled workers find jobs.
- The mobile app and website titled ‘Mera Hunar HP’ or ‘My Talent’ will directly connect prospective employers with job aspirants as the latter’s resume will contain addresses and contact numbers.
First smart tribal village inaugurated in Jammu and Kashmir
Jammu and Kashmir Minister inaugurated the first smart tribal model village ‘Hubbi’ in Rajouri district of the state. The Rural Development Department has introduced smart classes in schools, better roads, electricity, and water facility in the village.
Jadeja joins Ashwin as top-ranked Test bowler
India’s Ravichandran Ashwin and Ravindra Jadeja have become the first pair of spinners to be jointly top-ranked in the ICC Player Rankings for Test Bowlers following the country’s 75-run win in the second Test of the four-match series against Australia in Bengaluru.
Veteran journalist Arvind Padmanabhan passes away
Veteran journalist Arvind Padmanabhan, Executive Editor at IANS, died of cardiac arrest.