Current Affairs March 10, 2017
SBI, KfW tie up $274 mn loan facility for affordable housing
State Bank of India and the German KfW Development Bank have concluded a $274 million (approximately Rs. 1,800 crore) 15-year promotions loan facility to support lending for affordable housing in India.
NBFC cash loan against gold restricted to Rs 20,000
Reserve Bank of India has announced that Non-Banking Finance Companies (NBFCs) cannot lend more than Rs 20,000 in cash against gold.
- The earlier provision for NBFC was that high value loans against gold of Rs 1 lakh and above must only be disbursed by cheque.
- RBI reduced the amount to Rs 20,000 from the earlier Rs 1 lakh in line with the provisions of the Income Tax Act.
Germany provides 200 mn euro for India’s Energy Efficiency Programme
India and Germany inked an over 200 million euro (Rs 1,400 crore) loan agreement, taking the total German commitment for better energy efficiency in India to 600 million euro (Rs 4,200 crore)
China is country partner of 4th Smart Urbanation summit
Aiming to take the government’s smart cities initiative to the next level, over 1,500 global and national policymakers, financiers and technologists, along with over 25 city and state representatives, will come together at the 4th Smart Urbanation: Convention and Expo.
- The summit, to be held here between March 15 and 17, is organised by ASAPP Info Global Group and the India China Economic and Cultural Council in partnership with the Smart Cities Council India
India’s first AC Rail Ambulance Unveiled
Central Railway (CR) has unveiled India’s first air conditioned rail ambulance that is designed to rush for the relief of injured passengers during the vital ‘golden hour’ after a rail disaster.
- This rail ambulance is equipped with several medical facilities and the basic treatment can be provided to at least 50 people at a time.
- The ambulance, which will be stationed at Kalyan, was made by redesigning an AC coach used for passenger service.
- A railway ‘green corridor’ will help deliver the donated organ to the destination sooner than on road, without causing much trouble to people and traffic, the official said.
- Designed at the rail workshop at Matunga in Mumbai, the vehicle is suited for transporting accident victims to hospital in a short time.
Samsung, Karnataka Govt. sign MoU to bolster public healthcare facilities
Samsung India has announced its partnership with the Government of Karnataka after it signed an MoU to help the state efficiently manage its public healthcare facilities.
- As part of the agreement, Samsung Research and Development Institute, Bangalore (SRI-B) handed over 1,000 Samsung Tab IRIS to the Department of Health, Government of Karnataka.
- Samsung Tab IRIS, the first commercial tablet to be approved by UIDAI for Aadhaar and KYC verification, would enable Public Health Centers (PHC) in the state to build their database in a digital format.
Tamil Nadu Chief Minister launches Rs 1,580 crore housing scheme
Tamil Nadu Chief Minister K Palaniswami launched a housing scheme estimated at Rs 1,580 crore. The scheme was being implemented by the state government with Central assistance for the economically poor
- In the year 2016-17, concrete houses will be constructed for 50,170 beneficiaries in town panchayat limits.
Women Safety app ‘Ammavin Aran’ launched by AIADMK in TN
The AIADMK IT Wing has launched the first-of-its-kind women safety application in Tamil Nadu. The app is called ‘Ammavin Aran’ meaning ‘mother’s fortress’.
- The app will give the user details about the nearest police station and hospital along with map details and phone number.
Bhagwat awarded honorary Doctor of Science degree
RSS chief Mohan Bhagwat was today conferred honorary degree of Doctor of Science (DSc) by the city-based Maharashtra Animal and Fishery Sciences University.
- He was conferred the degree for his contribution in the field of veterinary sciences and social work.
President to adopt 50 more Haryana villages for development
President Pranab Mukherjee has expressed the desire to adopt 50 more villages in Haryana to develop them as smart villages.
B P Kanungo appointed RBI deputy governor
B P Kanungo was on Friday appointed deputy governor in Reserve Bank of India (RBI) for three years.
- He has been appointed in place of R Gandhi.
- Kanungo was in March last year appointed as Executive Director in the central bank.
ISRO’s ‘lost’ Chandrayaan-1 spotted orbiting the moon
India’s first lunar mission — the Chandrayaan-1 spacecraft, which was generally considered lost — is still orbiting the Moon, NASA scientists have found with new technological application of interplanetary radar. Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) lost communication with Chandrayaan-1 on August 29, 2009.
- Chandrayaan-1 was India’s first mission to the moon, was launched successfully on October 22, 2008 from Sriharikota.
- Chandrayaan-1 is still circling some 200 kilometers above the lunar surface, the scientists determined.
- In addition to finding Chandrayaan-1, the scientists also located NASA’s Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter around the Moon.
South Korea Removes President Park Geun-hye
A South Korean court removed the president, a first in the nation’s history, rattling the delicate balance of relationships across Asia at a particularly tense time.
IBM created the world’s smallest magnet for increased data storage
A team of IBM researchers just created the world’s smallest magnet using a solitary atom — and if that wasn’t enough of a challenge, they packed it with one bit of digital data for good measure.
ICC appoint Sachin Tendulkar as official ambassador of women’s World Cup 2017
Indian cricketing legend Sachin Tendulkar was announced as the official ambassador of Women’s Cricket World Cup 2017 by the International Cricket Council (ICC), on the occasion of International Women’s Day.
AB de Villiers becomes top ranked batsman in ODIs
South Africa’s star batsman AB de Villiers on Friday regained the top spot in the ICC player rankings for One-Day International batsmen after leading the list of run-scorers in the recent series against New Zealand.