Current Affairs March 11, 2017
SBI announces ‘SBI Infra Management Solutions’ for estate matters
The State Bank of India (SBI) announced the incorporation of SBI Infra Management Solutions Pvt. Ltd. (SBIIMS Pvt. Ltd.) – a wholly owned subsidiary of SBI to manage premises and estate related matters of SBI.
- The new subsidiary will be responsible for handling transaction management or advisory services, project management, facility management and implementation of policies and initiatives.
Karnataka Bank signs MoU with Bajaj Allianz
City-based Karnataka Bank has signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with Bajaj Allianz General Insurance Company for General Insurance business.
- With the agreement, the bank would be able to provide vast choice of non-life insurance products to its customers across all its 747 branches.
Yes Bank bullish on smart cities, signs up 3 projects
Mid-sized private sector lender Yes Bank is looking at smart cities initiative as a lucrative business opportunity and has signed up three projects to offer payments-related solutions
- The bank has tied up with Udaipur, Nashik and Puducherry for introducing various solutions for the smart city initiative.
- Under the smart cities initiative, the Union government is targeting to turn nearly 100 urban centres ’smart’ through internet and communications technology solutions, which will use tech like Internet of Things.
Season 2 of ‘ICICI Appathon’
ICICI Bank has announced the launch of the second season of ‘ICICI Appathon’, its virtual mobile app development challenge.
- The mobile app development initiative in the FinTech and InsurTech space will offer access to over 250 diverse APIs (application programme interface) from ICICI Bank and its group companies — ICICI Prudential Life Insurance, ICICI Lombard General Insurance and ICICI Securities — VISA, National Payment Corporation of India (NPCI) and cloud platform from IBM, the private sector bank said in a statement
President of India inaugurates the 12th CII-Exim bank conclave on India Africa Project Partnership
The President of India, Shri Pranab Mukherjee inaugurated the 12th CII-EXIM Bank Conclave on India Africa Project Partnership in New Delhi.
Venkaiah Naidu inaugurates country’s largest waste-to-power plant
Urban Development Minister Venkaiah Naidu has inaugurated the country’s largest waste-to-power plant (24 Mega Watt) at Narela-Bawana in New Delhi.
- The plant would not only dispose of 1,300 Metric Tonne waste on a daily basis but also produce compost and energy.
SC issues warrant against sitting HC judge for first time
The Supreme Court has issued a bailable warrant against sitting Calcutta High Court Justice CS Karnan — an order issued for the first time in the Indian judicial history.
- Earlier, a contempt notice was issued against Justice Karnan who had accused several judges of the Madras high court and a SC judge of corruption, nepotism and casteism.
Railways, UNEP sign LOI on environ initiatives
Representatives of the Indian Railways and the United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) signed and exchanged Letters of Intent (LOI) for exploring the opportunity and developing a joint cooperation mechanism in the field of environment and sustainability.
SSB signs MoU with NSDC & NSDF
A MoU has been signed between Sashastra Seema Bal (SSB), National Skill Development Corporation (NSDC) and National Skill Development Fund (NSDF).
- During the event an android based and in-house developed mobile application “MySSB” was launched by Shri Kiren Rijiju.
NTPC installs India’s largest Floating Solar PV Plant in Kerala
NTPC started power generation from India’s largest floating solar power plant at Kayamkulam in Kerala.
- The 100 kWp floating solar generation plant, largest of its kind in India, was indigenously developed as a part of ‘Make In India’ initiative, at Rajiv Gandhi Combined Cycle Power Plant (RGCCPP) in Kerala’s Kayamkulam district.
India test-fires BrahMos missile with 450 km range
India has successfully test-fired the BrahMos supersonic cruise missile, which is capable of carrying a warhead of 300 kg, from a test range along the Odisha coast.
- The cruise missile was test fired from a mobile launcher from the Integrated Test Range (ITR) at Chandipur
Ritu Rani comes out of retirement to join Indian hockey team
Former hockey captain Ritu Rani has shunned retirement to make a comeback in the Indian team after a seven-month sabbatical. She figures in the 18-member Indian squad announced by Hockey India for the women’s Hockey World League Round 2.
Kohli remains 3rd in ICC ODI rankings
Captain Virat Kohli remained unchanged at third to be the best-placed Indian batsman in the latest ICC ODI rankings issued in Dubai today. Rohit Sharma (12th) and Mahendra Singh Dhoni (13th) follow Kohli.
- Both of them also remained static on their previous positions. Opener Shikhar Dhawan, however, dropped a rung to be 15th. Among the bowlers, Akshar Patel was the best-placed Indian at the 11th position.
India beat Belarus 3-1 to clinch series 5-0
Indian eves dished out a disciplined performance to notch up a 3-1 win over a fighting Belarus to register their fifth consecutive victory to win the five-match Test series 5-0, in Bhopal
British F1 legend John Surtees dies at 83
John Surtees, the only racer to have won world championships on motorbikes and in Formula One passed away
Switzerland Tourism launches their ‘InLoveWithSwitzerland’ campaign with brand ambassador Ranveer Singh
Switzerland Tourism announced their 2017 summer campaign ‘InLoveWithSwitzerland’ with Brand ambassador and heartthrob of millions of Indians Ranveer Singh.