Current Affairs March 12, 2017
RBI launches app for android, iOS platforms
The Reserve Bank of India today formally launched a mobile application version of its website on Android and iOS platforms.
- The application can be downloaded from the Play Store/App Store, using the keyword ‘Reserve Bank of India’
- The user can also activate the feature of ‘push’ notification to get an alert on new releases.
To mark Women’s Day, BMB offers loan to 1000 female entrepreneurs
Bharatiya Mahila Bank (BMB) sanctioned loan to 1000 women entrepreneurs for various income generating economic activities across the country on the eve of International Women’s Day.
- With the vision ‘Empowering Women Economically,’ BMB organised a workshop to encourage women entrepreneurs at the Registered Office of the Bank in Delhi.
ICICI Bank, SBI, StanChart top bank frauds list: RBI
ICICI Bank topped the list of banks that witnessed most number of frauds during April-December period of 2016 with state-owned SBI taking the second spot, RBI data said.
- During the first nine months of the current fiscal, as many as 455 fraud cases involving Rs 1 lakh and above were detected in ICICI Bank, closely followed by SBI (429), Standard Chartered (244) and HDFC Bank (237).
PM Modi calls for a ‘New India’ by 2022
Observing that the results of the recent assembly polls were food for thought for experts, Prime Minister Narendra Modi envisioned a “New India” that looks to contribute and not just to take.
- Asserting that he was never bound by electoral motives, Modi called upon the people of the country to strive towards creating a “New India” by 2022.
Dol festival celebrated in West Bengal
West Bengal on 12th March celebrated the spring festival of Dol in a riot of colours, songs, prayers and exchange of sweets among friends, relatives and neighbours.
- Thousands of people from across India and several other countries congregated in Birbhum district’s Santiniketan, about 180 km from here, for Dol celebrations.
- Nobel laureate-poet Rabindranath Tagore in Santiniketan had reintroduced Dol as spring festival in the Visva Bharati university founded by him.
Himachal to develop 200 organic villages
Himachal Pradesh, whose economy largely banks on agriculture and horticulture, aims to develop bio villages by promoting organic farming. The state is also eyeing investment in cold chains.
- An additional 2,000 hectares will be brought under organic farming and there are plans to develop 200 bio-villages in the next fiscal
Sukma attack: TN CM announces Rs. 20 lakh ex-gratia to slain CRPF jawan’s family
Tamil Nadu Chief Minister Edappadi K. Palanisami on Sunday announced Rs. 20 lakh solatium to the family of Central Reserve Police Fire (CRPF) jawan K. Shankar, who lost his life in Sukma maoist attack
Arunachal Govt launches new scheme Adarsh Gram Yojana
The Government of Arunachal Pradesh has launched a new scheme – Adarsh Gram Yojana – with a view to reach to the poor people in rural areas. The programme has been launched in line with the basic philosophy of the Prime Minister – Sabka Saath Sabka Vikaas.
- Under the scheme, 123 villages, comprising one village per circle, are to be developed as ‘model villages’ during the fiscal year 2017-18.
- A corpus of 93 crore rupees has been earmarked in the next year’s budget for infrastructure development and to serve the twin objectives of creating employment opportunities and community assets for the people of those villages.
Four States come together for elephant census
In what will probably be the first such attempt, the States of Odisha, West Bengal, Chhattisgarh and Jharkhand have decided to conduct a synchronised elephant census. The four States together have the maximum number of human-elephant conflict-prone regions in India.
In a first, Reliance Jio feature to let users suspend and resume SIM
Mukesh Ambani-led Reliance Jio has launched a new feature that lets users digitally suspend their own SIM cards in case they lose their phones or Jio SIMs.
- The feature, available on the company’s official website, also offers a ‘resume’ option, choosing which will restart the services.
- As of now, Jio is the only operator offering this feature to its users.
BCCI awards blind team Rs 1 crore
It’s learnt that in a first of its kind gesture on its part, the Board of Control for Cricket in India will award Rs 1 crore to the Indian cricket team that won the Twenty20 World Cup last month by beating arch-rivals Pakistan in the title clash in Bengaluru.
- Blind cricketers in India face a struggle to continue playing the sport for financial reasons, and many players of the World Cup winning team were forced by their employers to play in the tournament on “leave without pay.” This move by BCCI thus will be a shot in the arm for blind cricket.
Indian National Team drop to 132nd in latest FIFA Rankings
The Indian national team has slipped down two places to 132nd in the recently released Fédération Internationale de Football Association (FIFA) rankings, published on 9th March.
- Argentina lead the international standings followed by Brazil, Germany, Chile and Belgium.
All England Open badminton: Lee Chong Wei of Malaysia lifts Men’s Singles crown
Lee Chong Wei of Malaysia has lifted the Men’s Singles crown at the All England Open badminton championships defeating Shi Yuqi of China.
Paddleboarder makes world-first Atlantic Crossing
South African Chris Bertish has become the first person to cross the Atlantic Ocean on standup paddle.
- He made the epic 4,050-mile voyage alone at sea aboard his custom-built craft.
Thai model is crowned transgender beauty queen
The 2016 winner of the world’s largest and most prestigious beauty pageant for transgender women has been crowned.
- Thailand’s Jiratchaya Sirimongkolnawin was crowned Miss International Queen at the event in Pattya City, Thailand.
Iceland becomes first country to make companies prove equal pay
Iceland will be the first country in the world to make employers prove they offer equal pay regardless of gender, ethnicity, sexuality or nationality
- The government said it will introduce legislation to parliament this month, requiring all employers with more than 25 staff members to obtain certification to prove they give equal pay for work of equal value.
- While other countries, and the U.S. state of Minnesota, have equal-salary certificate policies, Iceland is thought to be the first to make it mandatory for both private and public firms.
- Iceland has been ranked the best country in the world for gender equality by the World Economic Forum, but Icelandic women still earn, on average, 14 to 18 percent less than men.