Current Affairs March 14, 2017
Upcoming Rewa solar plant in MP to receive loan from World Bank
The World Bank has agreed to provide loan to develop internal transmission arrangements of the Rewa project. It will provide 25 per cent of the loan amount under its Clean Technology Fund (CTF), where the money will be provided at an interest rate of only 0.25 per cent
- This would be the first solar power project of the country to receive a loan under CTF.
Manohar Parrikar takes charge in Goa for fourth time
BJP leader Manohar Parrikar, who quit as the Defence Minister a day earlier, was sworn-in as Goa Chief Minister for the fourth time. The Supreme Court directed his new government to prove its majority via a floor test in the state assembly.
Mission Fingerling with a total expenditure of about Rs. 52000 lakh to achieve Blue Revolution
Recognizing the potential and possibilities in the fisheries sector, Government of India has envisaged a program named Blue Revolution to unlock the countrys latent potential through an integrated approach.
Manipur CM Ibobi Singh resigns as both BJP, Congress claim majority
Amid tussle between the BJP and the Congress to form the next government in Manipur after a hung verdict in the assembly election, incumbent chief minister Okram Ibobi Singh met governor Najma Heptulla and submitted his resignation.
Foundation stone of the Banana Research Centre laid in Vaishali, Bihar
Radha Mohan Singh, Union Agriculture and Farmer’s Welfare Minister laid the foundation stone of the Banana Research Centre at Gorole, Vaishali, Bihar.
- The Banana Research Centre is established to fulfill the aspirations of the banana growers of Vaishali.
Hyderabad best Indian city in living standards: Mercer
Hyderabad for the third year in a row has emerged as the best city in terms of living standards among Indian cities, while Vienna has been ranked at the top globally in a list by consultancy firm Mercer.
Dabur India launches first ever Mobile Honey-testing Lab in India
Trusted healthcare major Dabur India Limited inaugurated the first ever Mobile Honey Testing Lab designed specifically to reduce the adulteration in honey and ensure that purity is maintained.
- Starting its journey from Uttar Pradesh, the lab will tap two major centers for bee farming in Muzaffarpur, Bihar and Sundarbans, West Bengal.
LG’s initiative creates Guinness World Records
LG Electronics India announced that its #KarSalaam initiative for salute to soldiers has achieved Guinness World Record title.
- With this campaign, LG breaks the Guinness World Record by getting more than 1,14,741 handwritten messages from the Indian citizens
Kalinga Stadium to Host 22nd Asian Athletics Championship in July
Kalinga Stadium in Bhubaneswar will host the 22nd Asian Athletics Championship to be held in July this year as Ranchi pulled out from hosting the international event. With this, Bhubaneswar will be the third city in India to host the athletics championship after New Delhi in 1989 and Pune in 2013.
Punjab Defeats Railways to Win 71st Santosh Trophy football tournament
CAS upholds lifetime ban on Sergei Portugalov
The Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) upheld a lifetime ban levied against Sergei Portugalov, former chief of the Russian Athletics Federation’s Medical Commission for his role in providing illicit substances to Russian athletes.
World’s first fluorescent frog discovered in South America
The world’s first fluorescent frog has been discovered in the Amazon basin in Argentina.
- Scientists at the Bernardino Rivadavia Natural Sciences Museum in Buenos Aires made the discovery by accident while studying the pigment of polka-dot tree frogs, a species common to the rainforest.
- Fluorescence — the ability to absorb light at short wavelengths and re-emit it at longer wavelengths — is uncommon in creatures that live on land.