English Vocabulary Words with Meanings for various Exams: SBI PO, NIACL, NICL, IBPS PO/Clerk, RRB, RBI, IPPB, UICL, OICL. We are providing vocabulary words from the Articles of Newspapers like The Hindu, The Economist, The Indian Express, etc. which are important for the upcoming exams. Add some more words to your English vocabulary words list.
1. Stratagem (noun) – A trick or plan for deceiving an enemy or for achieving a goal.
- Synonyms: Plan, Scheme, Tactic, Manoeuvre, Ploy, Wile, Subterfuge, Artifice, Contrivance
- Antonyms: Honesty, Artlessness, Chastity, Morality
- Usage: Her business stratagem allowed her to quickly rise to the top as a great success.
2. Milieu (noun) – The physical or social setting in which people live or in which something happens or develops.
- Synonyms:Surroundings, Atmosphere, Ambience, Habitat, Circumstance, Entourage
- Usage: Because my father grew up in a military milieu, he knew he wanted to join the armed forces when he graduated from high school.
3. Fusillade (noun) – A sudden outburst, as of criticism
- Synonyms: Bombardment, Blitz, Outburst, Transfuse
- Antonyms: Intentional, Designed, Plotted, Organize
- Usage: During the police interrogation, I felt as though the detectives attacked me with a fusillade of questions.
4. Helm (noun) – A position of control.
- Synonyms:Control, Leadership, Direct, Guidance, Hegemony, Domination
- Antonyms:Incompetence, Inability, Maladroitness,
- Usage: In the eight years since he took the helm of the world’s biggest drinks company, he has focused increasingly on premium brands that command premium prices.
5. Grappling (noun) – Struggle to deal with or overcome (a difficulty or challenge).
- Synonyms:Struggle, conflict, Strive, Effort, Scramble
- Antonyms: Relax, Peacefulness
- Usage: It might not be the best idea to grapple with someone twice your size.
6. Tantamount (adjective) – Equivalent in value, significance or effect.
- Synonyms:Equivalent, Alike, Identical, Indistinguishable, Corresponding, Commensurate
- Antonyms:Diverse, Different,Contrasting, Antithetic, Contradictory, Conflicting
- Usage: His angry speech was tantamount to a declaration of war.
7. Progenitor (noun) – Who originates a cultural or intellectual movement.
- Synonyms:Precursor, Primogenitor, Creator, Originator, Founder, Instigator
- Antonyms:Descendant, Progeny, Scion, Inheritor, Beneficiary
- Usage: Some scientists suggest that because we share similar DNA, the human’s closet progenitor is chimpanzee.
8. Animosities (noun) – A strong feeling of disliking someone or something.
- Synonyms:Antipathy, Hostility, Antagonism, Enmity, Animus, Aversion, Acrimony
- Antonyms:Goodwill, Friendship, Benevolence, Compassion, Empathy
- Usage: During the match, the animosity between the two wrestlers was obvious.
9. Scowled (verb) – Frown in an angry or bad-tempered way.
- Synonyms:Glower, Frown, Glare, Lour, Pout, Disapproved
- Antonyms:Smile, Grin, Beam, Chuckle
- Usage: Whenever my husband looks at our noisy neighbors, he has a scowl on his face.
10. Shroud (noun) – To cover; hide from view.
- Synonyms: Hidden, Obscure, Conceal, Veil, Camouflage
- Antonyms:Expose, Divulge, Bewray, Reveal
- Usage: To prevent future attacks on the President, the details of the assassination plot have been shrouded in secrecy.